PDA

View Full Version : shooting vest/jacket

Beekeeper
12-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Was thinking about getting one with the shoulder pad built in.
Getting tired of bruised shoulders and muscles
Any pros or cons on them.
Other idea was to get one I could remove the pad from so I can Wash/clean it.
Looking for ideas and pointing in the direction of a dealer/store that has them.

Jim

Jim
12-23-2010, 06:33 PM
http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/pics-006-e1293143515238.jpg

Lee
12-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Pact makes, I believe, a shoulder bra, that is worn over/under anything you want. I have one, wear it over whatever I want. It has served me well, as I succumb to the same bruuised shoulder syndrome as you. Not too expensive, either........Lee

Doc Highwall
12-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Jim I see that is a left hand shooting jacket you have posted. Do you shoot left handed?

Mk42gunner
12-24-2010, 03:20 AM
I've got one of the old cloth GI ones that I occassionally use. It doesn't do a whole lot for recoil, but it really helps by padding the left arm where the sling goes.

If I am only firing from a benchrest, I have a sissy bag that weighs about four or five pounds that I use for hard kicking rifles. I made it out of a piece of denim, filled it with shot, then wrapped it with ordnance (duct) tape for longevity.

Robert

Czech_too
12-24-2010, 05:46 AM
I've use the PAST recoil pads, the type that you slip over your shoulder, and have found it to help. The only downside I find is that it tends to want to slip down my arm when I walk around. Never had a use for one until the last couple of years, must be another 'benefit' of getting older.

Jim
12-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Well, Doc, I guess the spot light is on me, now. I blew my cover.
I'M WRONG HANDED!!:holysheep
Oh, the shame!:groner:

On the other hand, if the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, it stands to reason that right handed people aren't in their right mind!

I ain't got no room to talk, though. I'm right in here with the rest of the rubber room residents!:-D

Doc Highwall
12-24-2010, 12:45 PM
My jackets have the shoulder pad in the same location which is how I recognized it. I just tell them I am in my Right mind.

Kraschenbirn
12-24-2010, 01:13 PM
For warm weather, I took an old, lightweight fisherman's vest and added a pocket on the right-hand side to hold one of the"shooting pad inserts" for the Browning shotgunner's vests. Plenty of pockets for odds and ends without restricting movement. This time of year, though, with a sweatshirt under my insulated coveralls, I don't need any additional padding.

Bill

Dragoon 45
12-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I've use the PAST recoil pads, the type that you slip over your shoulder, and have found it to help. The only downside I find is that it tends to want to slip down my arm when I walk around. Never had a use for one until the last couple of years, must be another 'benefit' of getting older.

I have to echo your remarks. I have the PAST shoulder pad. I can not get it to stay in place at all. It works when in the right place, but I gave up on it due to it slipping after every shot.

markinalpine
12-24-2010, 03:09 PM

I have to echo your remarks. I have the PAST shoulder pad. I can not get it to stay in place at all. It works when in the right place, but I gave up on it due to it slipping after every shot.

Try safety pins. :groner:

Merry Christmas,
Mark [smilie=s:

76 WARLOCK
12-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I have a 50-60 year old 10x jacket with leather pads that will tame the hardest kicking gun.

old turtle
12-24-2010, 04:16 PM
76, I had a 10x jacket from the 60's which I used to shoot highpower right up to expert. It was a great jacket but I flat wore it out. I purchased another one and used it during the 80's. But as I have gotten old and fat I can no longer wear it. I bought a canvas jacket a couple of years ago but I do not like it as well. I am trying to loose weight to get back into the 10x jacket. Shooting provides great encouragement to do things. Here in Florida the summer heat makes me not want to use a heavy jacket. I like to shoot off hand and a jacket does help.

higgins
12-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Jim-That looks like a shooting coat that used to hang in my garage! I sold it a while back to a guy in Virginia because I outgrew it (in circumference) many years ago. I now use the 1/2" PAST pad. It makes shooting rounds like 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54R ball ammo comfortable, and it's not too thick, so doesn't affect sight picture, gun mounting, etc. I also like it because I can carry it in my range bag, and can use it year-round with whatever shirt I happen to be wearing. I shoot mostly off of wooden or carpet-covered concrete benches, so elbow protection's not an issue.

Jim
12-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Now that I think about it, I think that IS your jacket!

RU shooter
12-25-2010, 10:15 AM
A frugal alternative is to just fold over a bath towel a time or so and drape it over your shoulder. Works well enough for bench shooting.

deltaenterprizes
12-25-2010, 10:57 AM
My wife bought a vest at Walmart for shooting trap that has a pad in the shoulder area.

lesharris
12-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I shoot trap with a Browning vest. It is light weight, for summer wear and it has a removeable pad to help with recoil.
The other choice is a Midway shooting vise. That works real well on the bench, both to hold the weapon and sand/shot bags to absorb the recoil.
Les.

cajun shooter
12-25-2010, 11:38 AM
When I was a police instructor we used a leather bag about 8 inches long filled with sand . It worked quite well.