PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired

Beekeeper
12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Did you ever get that feeling you were shoveling it up hill?
I spent the entire morning trying to get my Lyman 45 lubrisizer to work correctly..its old but new to me ( my first and I am soooo proud)
Worked great yesterday and I lubed and sized about 200 each .308 170 grain and .324 200 grain boolits.
This morning with .326 175 grain boolits everything turned to ****
Was so mad at lunch I almost came here and offered it for sale along with all of its dies.

I vagely remembered Buckshot having a post about Lyman dies and filling a couple of holes with shot.
Couldn't find it ( my fault as I have lousy computer skills) so decided to find out.
The dies I used yesterday are RCBS and only have 1 row of holes.
The Lyman dies have 2.
Closed the bottom ones with lead shot and it works perfect.
Boy how I wish my brain worked all the time instead of only when I am mad.
Finished all of the .326 boolits in less than 1 hour, same amount this morning took all morning.

Jim

canyon-ghost
12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
You're not the only one, I sometimes have to remind myself that mechanical things are designed to work perfectly in a Perfect Environment. Otherwise, it's all a gamble. Things went south, eh?
Ron

GRUMPA
12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Boy how I wish my brain worked all the time instead of only when I am mad.

You know your not the only one with that issue.

1hole
12-23-2010, 10:34 PM
"The Lyman dies have 2. Closed the bottom ones with lead shot and it works perfect."

There is no need to plug the sizer side holes. We have to adjust the sizer travel to prevent lube from getting where we don't want it, according to what each bullet design needs. It's done with the threaded sleeve on the bottom of the sizer that retains the bottom punch ("I" die). Screw it up until the inner punch no longer allows the bullet to come down too far.

Don't put too much pressure on the lube wrench. Apply firm "down" pressure on the lever as you turn the lube wrench so lube won't be able to squeeze under the bullet's base. It's NOT necessary to fill every lube groove 100% full and efforts to do so frequently results in lube squeeze out where it's not supposed to. Check your muzzle for a "lube star" after a few shots; it you have a well defined greasy star you are using more lube than necessary.

For best shooting results, use the NRA formula lube; 50:50 Alox/Beeswax.

MtGun44
12-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Lyman/RCBS dies do not plug holes, you do as 1hole says - adjust the boolit dep[th of
travel into the die to expose the correct amount of the shank to lube pressure.

1hole has it just right. You'll get he hang of it after a while. The bottom punch works as
a valve, blocks the holes until the boolit reaches them, unports the holes and the lube
flows. As you pull the handle to extract the boolit upwards, the plug covers the holes and
keeps lube from flowing.

Bill

Von Gruff
12-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I posted this (I think) before but cant find where it was.Maybe on another thread.
Anyway I set my lubrisizer for the longest boolit I need to size and lube to depth required, as in the thread and locknut on the adjuster stem (as 1 Holes says), but then to save adjusting the stem every time i size-lube a boolit with a different depth requirement, I have a few 44 spc cases that i use as depth stops.
I drill a 3/8 hole through the primer pocket of the 44 spc case and make a couple of cuts lengthways to remove about a 1/3 of the case. This allows it to sit on the locknut and by triming the length acts as a stop for the stem top. By having a case cut to length for each depth needed I no longer have to adjust the stem length. Put in the die required, along with the top punch and (with a dab of lube on the stem) sit the particular case for that depth of lube requirement and you are set to go. Quick and fuss free.

Von Gruff.