PDA

View Full Version : Priorities

Charlie Two Tracks
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Right now I have enough lead for over 16,000 boolits. I have 120 lbs. cast up and the rest are ingots. I got to thinking that if I have that many boolits, I need to have that many primers. I have 5,000 of them right now. I guess my next priority is to get more primers before I spend too much on more lead. Do any of you guys think like that? I hate[smilie=b: priorities

excess650
12-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I have a pretty good supply of lead and powder. Some of my primers are a bit thin, but need to remember gas checks too!!![smilie=b:

12-23-2010, 05:35 PM
I think like that all the time. Problem is, though, wheel weights are free but primers and powder aren't.

grubbylabs
12-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I just bought 3,000 Rem 9 1/2 primers for 30.00:mrgreen: Some guy was in charge of cleaning out grandpas gun room and he just wanted to get rid of them. I told them they sell for about 30-35 bucks a thousand but said he just wanted to get rid of them and sold them to me for 30 for the 3 box's. Well I hate to not help a fella so I helped him all I could.:mrgreen:

I am going to pick up a 4lb keg of Unique soon as well, can load a lot of 45 with that.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
I myself am good on primers and powder but pretty weak in the lead department :(

Catshooter
12-23-2010, 08:58 PM
The way I think is you can't have too much in the way of ammo, components, lead, you know. The only limitation should be financial. If it comes down to eating or getting another load of primers/powder, well, they sell Top Ramien cheap don't they? :)

But yes, I try to keep a balence. Not real smart to have 50,000 primers and two pounds of powder in my book.

I have always thought this way. When Bush got re-elected I knew our next president would be a commie (Hitlary, I thought). So I really started stocking up then.

I ain't right all that often, but good ol' Obama showed me that that had been a good plan of mine. For once I done it right! I didn't have to buy anything for those horrible two or three years.

So if you can, buy it, keep it in balence, but buy lots. All you can if you can. Ya never know what's around the corner.

Cat

BOOM BOOM
12-24-2010, 12:53 AM
HI,
I AGREE WITH CATSHOOTER.
So now what I need is POWDER.:Fire::Fire:

runfiverun
12-24-2010, 02:31 AM
i go on cycles of buying primers,checks, powder, lead, and brass.
concentrating on stocking up on one at a time.
components are cool to have, but loaded ammo is better.
and i can figure out what i need based on what i used to get them all full.

Dennis Eugene
12-24-2010, 02:48 AM
Charlie Two Tracks, powder valley has a sale going on right now. If ya buy 10,000 Tula primers shipping, ins. and hazmat are free. Tula primers are 20 and 21 bucks a thousand and they even let ya through in 30 or 40 pounds of powder on the same free shipping deal as long as ya get the primers. I'm just letting ya know. Dennis Eugene

waksupi
12-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Ok, here's a suggestion.
Just imagine,this next April, it is going to be nearly impossible to get any primers whatsoever, powder is going to be in very short supply, and commercial bullets will be nearly non-existent, aside from gun shows at astronomical prices. If you have enough lead and a mold for your favorite rifle, you are ahead of the game.
At the same time, unemployment will be much higher, the banks will have collapsed in February, and there you sit.
Next presidential election cycle, what do you think conditions will be?
Now, how much DO you have on hand?
Just sayin'......

bhn22
12-24-2010, 03:06 AM
Right now I have enough lead for over 16,000 boolits. I have 120 lbs. cast up and the rest are ingots.

Well, it's a start...

But you're right, all the bullets in the world are worthless if you can't get them out the barrel.

runfiverun
12-24-2010, 03:40 AM
i'm good for a few years, even wasting them at the range.
if those 8 buckets of ww's hadn't of been stolen i'd feel better though.

HardColt
12-24-2010, 04:15 AM
I usually end up on the wrong side of the equation. I always a lot of lead and not enough primers. Priority now is to stock enough primers to cover enough of the lead that are ingotized. Good,I always have more than enough power to reload the necessary caliber I need for my range sessions

XWrench3
12-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Problem is, though, wheel weights are free but primers and powder aren't.

man, i WISH I had that problem!!! in my area, there are to many people casting FISHING weights, and they buy up all the w.w.'s at rediculous prices. i have to hunt, hunt, hunt to buy a bucket for $30.00!
as for the primer issue, i used to keep more on hand than i do now. i see that prices are starting to drop ever so slowly, so i do not want to go out and buy a bunch of primers only to have the price drop in a month or so. when they finnaly stabilize, then i will replentish a good supply.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Dennis. I will check that out.

Dennis Eugene
12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey no problem, I just placed an order my self, happy to help. Dennis Eugene

old turtle
12-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Just remember as others have said try to keep a balanced supply. You can not have enough ammo. or Springfield 03s or 03A3s. I can't help my self.

BOOM BOOM
12-24-2010, 06:33 PM
HI'
OR 357'S ..OR 44'S, OR.....:Fire::Fire:

LAH
12-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I need Gas Checks.

Down South
12-24-2010, 11:30 PM
I bought in large quantities before the election. I figured the election would go bad and component prices would go through the roof or components would become impossible to get. Guess what, it happened. I have plenty of lead since there are not many casters around here. I bought enough primers and power before the Obamination to last me a while.

geargnasher
12-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I need Gas Checks.

You need a Checkmaker.

Gear

Charlie Two Tracks
12-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Well, I ordered 10,000 primers and three pounds of powder from Powder Valley. I reread waksupi's post and it was a little too real for me not to pay attention to.

garym1a2
12-26-2010, 07:07 AM
I brought 5000 primers off a guy. They must have been stored poorly as about 5% of them do not go bang.

Down South
12-26-2010, 09:32 AM
I brought 5000 primers off a guy. They must have been stored poorly as about 5% of them do not go bang.
I had a problem with CCI primers once. Pull the boolits on the duds and punch the primers out. Notice if there is any primer media in the cup.

dverna
12-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Stocking necessities is a necessity.

Maintaining a balance is not that important to me. I have sufficient components for 2-5 years of shooting - depending on the caliber/gauge. My philosophy is to look for buys and load up when prices are good or before I believe they will go up. As a result, I am unlikely to be "balanced" but it is of no consequence as I have a minimum of two years of "stuff" on hand.

If you have ever run out of something, you are not planning and you WILL overpay.

With our economy in trouble and our dollar under pressure it is wise to invest in components and ammunition.

This week I will be buying a half ton of shot as I found some at a decent price and shot prices have started escalating.

Don

mpmarty
12-26-2010, 12:37 PM
August 2008 I saw the writing on the wall and bought all the powder I could get from Grafs on one hazmat fee. Unique, H335, Varget, BLC2 and 30,000 Large Pistol primers. Already had nearly ten thousand LR primers and I don't have anything requiring small primers. I've got about a thousand pounds of ingots smelted and stored so I'm feeling pretty smug about my ammo supplies which include 1200 rounds of mil surp 7.62X51 Nato from Portugal and Germany. I don't shoot much of the mil surp stuff but it's nice to have around.

garym1a2
12-26-2010, 03:58 PM
I had a problem with CCI primers once. Pull the boolits on the duds and punch the primers out. Notice if there is any primer media in the cup.

They are CCI small rifle primers. I will have to pulll and check them. Since I have another 4500 of them left I hope its only one box.