PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 .32-40

Dragoon 45
12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Saw a Winchester 94 in .32-40 yesterday at one of my local gunshops. I did not measure it, but the full length round barrel was marked as 26" and had a half length magazine tube. Aside from minor dings and dents, the wood was in good shape with no visible cracks but had turned almost black with age. Did not see any rust on the exterior. It had a crescent butt. I was unable to get a good look at the bore as it was very dirty. It had what appeared to be an early Lyman Tang Sight with the factory front sight still in place. Asking price was IIRC $799.

As I don't know a whole lot about these earlier 94's, I passed on the rifle. Your thoughts. Thank You.

GunnyJohn
12-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Go Back, (take some cleaning gear in you rig) ask if you can clean the bore, and in the event it's decent, buy it. It would be a great rifle to play with and the things are getting harder and harder to find, at least around here. The price is way below what I've been seeing at shows. All depends on what a guy wants.

runfiverun
12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
defiantely get a patch down that bbl.
800 might be a bit high but it is a 32-40, a 32 special is hard enough to find anymore.

doubs43
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
I've just checked Cabela's "Gun Library" for rifles chambered in .32-40. The 1894 model Winchesters run anywhere from $1,000 ~ $3,500! It seems to me that $800 is quite reasonable if the rifle is in decent condition.

FWIW, during the later part of the 19th century and into the early 20th century, the .32-40 was THE cartridge for off-hand target shooting out to 200 yards. I don't own a rifle chambered in that cartridge but I'm seriously considering an 1885 Hi-Wall.

Dragoon 45
12-23-2010, 09:37 PM
I've just checked Cabela's "Gun Library" for rifles chambered in .32-40. The 1894 model Winchesters run anywhere from $1,000 ~ $3,500! It seems to me that $800 is quite reasonable if the rifle is in decent condition.

FWIW, during the later part of the 19th century and into the early 20th century, the .32-40 was THE cartridge for off-hand target shooting out to 200 yards. I don't own a rifle chambered in that cartridge but I'm seriously considering an 1885 Hi-Wall.

I knew the .32-40 was and still is a very popular Schuetzen cartridge and has a very good reputation for accuracy out to 200 yards. Did not know how well it performed in a lever gun. Was not the .32-40 and .33-40 Harry Pope's favorites?

As the shop is closed till after Christmas, I won't be able to check on it till then. Knowing my luck it will be gone by then.

What would it cost to restore a rifle like this? Say refinish the wood, possibily rebarrel it if needed, replace any of the internals needed, and color case harden the receiver? As far as I know there are no gunsmiths in my area that do this kind of work.

218bee
12-23-2010, 09:43 PM
to do the work you say would cost more than $800 the price of the gun....doing so would also ruin the collector value if any. If your interested I'd offer the guy $750 out the door and see if he bites....iuf not $800 aint too bad if its decent.If it were me I'd see how she shoots and leave it as is.Just my .02

excess650
12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Rather than rebarrel, it could be rebored to 35-30/30 or 38-55. It could also be relined and put back to 32-40. Either way doesn't affect the exterior of the barrel, and turns a sewer pipe bore wallhanger into a shooter.

The darks stocks might just clean up with something like kerosene. Old oil may have turned dark, or it may have been in a smoky environment. The dark wood along with its existing patina on the metal is what gives it character. I had a Remington Rollingblock #1 Sporter in simiar condition and refused to change its exterior look.

For similar $ you could buy a Marlin 336CB in 30-30 or 38-55 and have the new look.

Bret4207
12-24-2010, 09:09 AM
If you can get it it, DON'T "refinish" it. The wood can be cleaned, the recvr's weren't color case hardened to start with and you'll just ruin it if you try to "fix" something that isn't broken. Clean it, oil it, love it. The 32-40 was a fine deer cartridge in it's day and was still fairly popular into the 70's in some areas. Before worrying about rebarreling, etc. I'd want to take a good look at it.

bob208
12-24-2010, 10:01 AM
a 94 in .32-40 is one of the hardest to find. your rifle is a special order rifle with the short mag.if the bore is good and no extra hole drilled in it $800 is good.
now i have seen more winchesters ruined by people trying to clean them up.
things to look for is the wood higher then the metal? not much just slowly rub your thumb from the metal over the wood you should feel a slite edge . that means it has not been sanded. do it at the back of the tang.
look at the muzzle on a rifle it should be flat and not be blued. muzzles were polished after the rifles were blued. don't worry it the blue is off the recivier. they were hardened then blued. the blue was comming off as they left the factory.

Marvin S
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
The 32-40 is a great cartridge and is most likely my favorite cast boolit shooter. It is easy to make them shoot if the gun is decent. I have a Win 94 mfg 1923 and one of the new Hi-Wall's and love them both.

NHlever
12-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I remember loaning my cousin $12.00 to buy a Winchester 94 in 32-40. If I remember right it was a saddle ring carbine. At any rate, that dates me a bit I guess. The deal was that I get the rifle if he couldn't pay me back since it was in nice shape, and I liked it. Never got the money, or the rifle............. got experience though. :D

bob208
12-24-2010, 04:32 PM
the 94 carbine is the hardest to find. they made less of that cal. then any other. i have only seen 3 in the last 25 years. i own 2 of them.

rintinglen
12-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Killed the only deer I ever took with a beat up old 32-40 that my grandpa got in partial payment for a cord of wood. He'd roll over in his grave if he could see how much these things are going for these days.

FromTheWoods
12-27-2010, 03:02 AM
My .32-40 is about the same age as the one you ARE going to purchase.

If the bore is not rifled well enough to shoot cast boolits straight, give me a clue and I will send you my load information. The bore of my rifle is worn, but after experimenting, it is now a very accurate shooter. We still take mule deer with it and shoot grouse heads to get an evening meal.

Buy it without blinking--and live happily ever after.

northmn
12-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Dont confuse the 32-40 used in a target singleshot to the lever. They used special loads and bullets that only a single shot can use. As in the old trick of seating the bullet and then loading the case. Often used 200 grain bullets. Still it is an intersting caliber and would be fun for someone into that sort of thing.

DP

Dragoon 45
12-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Went back to the shop and did a thorough inspection of the bore. The bore was in terrible shape with rust pitting and very worn to non-existent rifling. As I wanted a shooter not a wall-hanger I passed on buying it.

Even though I did not purchase it, I want to thank everyone for the information they supplied, as I knew very little about this rifle.