PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith recommendations

Roundnoser
12-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I own an old, but very nice S&W Mod. 57-1. Heres a pic.
It has seen lots of use, and many a hard road. I thought it might be a good idea to have it serviced by a reputable gunsmith who knows his way around S&W wheelguns.

I live in NW, Pa. Does anyone know of a GOOD gunsmith in my general area who they would recommend?...Would it be advisable to send it back to S&W?

Thanks.

Shooter6br
12-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Good smiths are hard to find. I need to have my 657 tapped for scope,I am in S.e Pa North of Phila. There is a guy in Topton Pa. custom pistols. Dont need to have it screwed up by a "gunsmith"using a hand drill

longhorn
12-23-2010, 08:04 PM
You might google up S&W forums and ask over there....I'd be inclined to send it back to the factory if it just needs a general tuning and refinish

tek4260
12-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Looks pretty good from here. Probably just needs a good cleaning and lube. How is the timing?

Roundnoser
12-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Looks pretty good from here. Probably just needs a good cleaning and lube. How is the timing?

Thats just it...I've been shooting and hunting for many many years, but haven't kept up with "whats under the hood".

As for the timing...It locks up well before full cock. The gap between the cylinder face and forcing cone "appears" to be very tight (no more than the thickness of a piece of paper).

Other than that, I don't what to look for. I'd like it thoroughly inspected (rifling, internal fuctions, springs, etc.) One thing I have always noticed (as compared to my 686), is the hammer cocks back very easily...almost too easily, as if the spring was weak.

tcrocker
12-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Shooter6br you might think about a machine shop to drill and tap. Or you could do it yourself just use the scope base you intend to use as a guid.

44man
12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
I can't open the attachment. But you would be surprised how much is just cosmetic. Mostly from carry in a holster. A good gun can last lifetimes, they might just look poor.

NHlever
12-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I think that the new S&W rear sights are the same as the older ones before they started factory drilling, and tapping those models for scope bases. I would check with S&W to see if they would do the drilling, etc. When I had access to nice milling machines I did a bit of that work for folks I knew, and everyone was happy, but you do want to make sure that the drilling, and tapping are the same as what is being put in the factory guns now. The light hammer might be caused by just having the mainspring strain screw ( on the forward side of the grip loosen over time, and that may just need to be tightened a bit. Paper is usually .003-.004 thick so the barrel gap sounds like it is OK. Look at the area around the barrel shank for signs of lead buildup, and check the throat for obvious wear / errosion, and if that looks OK you probably are good to go, since the lock up sounds like it is good.

leas327
12-27-2010, 11:56 PM
If you get on the smith and wesson forum there are some faq's in the gun smithing section that will help you out. From what you say it sounds like the gun is fine and just showing some age. I couldn't open the pic. If you want it tuned up AND refinished the people on the smith forum will hands down recommend S&W to do the work. Most of the people on that forum think smiths refinishing is the best for the money. I have never had any of my guns redone but from others starting threads on there and seeing their before and afters I would tend to agree.

Roundnoser
12-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll call S&W. I figure they could look it over, make recommendations, and give me an estimate on it.