PDA

View Full Version : 12, 16 & 20 Slug or ball

Torpex
12-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi,
Brand new to the Forum.

Wanted to see if anyone had any data on the 16GA shooting Round ball.

I currently have a .60 317gr RB in a shot cup pushed out by 35gr Blue dot.

Moves out well (havent crono'd yet) but it goes right through a wet phone book, 2x10 and made a 5/8" deep dent in a concrete wall. Problem I have is I can see that Bluedot isnt completely burning most likely due to the light load.

BP 3rd edition manual isnt finishd yet and they dont have any of the last edition to sell me so I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out a decent clean load for this light of a ball.

If anyone has some ideas or data they can share that would be great.

Thank You!

Frank

Smoke-um if you got-um
12-29-2010, 04:22 AM
Welcome..... I've waited to see if anyone had hands on experience and I guess not. I don't either but I do have experience loading for 12 gauge. My reference materials show that 35 gr Blue Dot is an extreme overload for the 16 with the weight ball you're using. All my material shows a max. of 28 grains BD for a 1 oz load and that would probably be a reasonable max. for your 300gr RB as well. I have nothing for any slug/RB load in any of my material. All the 1 oz loads show a max of 20-21 for both Herco and Unique with most combos of hull/wad/primer and both are cleaner than Blue Dot with similar velocities for the 16, that being approx. 1200-1250fps. Maybe someone will see this and have a more comprehensive loading guide than I and toss in their 2 cents worth. Good Luck.

klcarroll
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Allow me to inject a little unsolicited advice: Resist the temptation to push for that "bug-eyed ultra max" load when shooting Round Ball!!

I load a lot of RB for my 12 gauge, and it has been my experience that alloy for alloy, a RB will dramatically out-penetrate a slug made of the same stuff.

I now look for about 1200 fps for my RB loads. Loads in that range are MUCH kinder to both your weapon AND your shoulder than the 1500-1600 fps stuff; ….And at 1200 fps, a 12 gauge RB cast out of medium-hard alloy will reliably leave an exit wound on a 1978 Buick! (…..and I am sure that a 16 gauge load wouldn’t be far behind!)

Slow it down a little! ……You’ll burn less powder, spend less money with your Orthopedic Guy, ….and kill just as many deer!

Kent

missionary5155
01-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Good morning
I would not think a 16 guage and 12 guage would be much difference except the actual componets.
Rb will by far out penetrate a hollow slug. Lots of info on that already.
For slower velocity (around 1400 fps) I use Unique in 12 guage. Check the manuals for 16 guage slug loads and Unique. Burns completly and does not get pressure crazy until you pass the load suggestions by a bit. Blue Dot needs extra pressure a get cooking like most upper velocity powders.
There really are not many critters on our side of the world that can recieve a well placed caliber .60 RB moving at 1350 fps + and walk away very far. I have not got to pop any large bears or 400 pound hogs but I would not hessitate to unload my double Fox B loaded with RB at any critter I will ever see.

Roosterbob
01-08-2011, 08:18 PM
The following load has NOT been tested but it seems mild enough and has caused no problems for me.
2 3/4 Cheddite hull cut to 2 1/2 inches, W209 primer, 21grs. of Unique, Gulandi SG16 wad, .610 RB, thin overshot wad and roll crimp.

Out of MY 16sxs choked LM in both barrels it is extremely accurate(4 to 6in groups @ 50yds) is easy shooting and shows no outward signs of pressure.

Again, this load has not been tested by me, UMMV.

Roosterbob

Greg5278
01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
What is the bore and choke diameter of your gun? I have a mold that drops a 480gr hollow base truncated cone slug. The diameter is about right for a cylinder bore 16ga. If your bore was tighter, it would have to be pushed through a ribbed Die to lessen friction. I designed it for rifled 12ga use in a wad.
Greg