PDA

View Full Version : Opps I did it again

Frank46
10-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Well went to a local gun show here in loosiana. Only intended to pick up some brass and stuff. And you all know how that goes. Found a nice marlin 336 without the hammer block for $250. Bore was in excellent shape. Right now she's in pieces
on my workbench and do I have my work cut out for me. There is enough dried grease to lube a chevy. Evidently the previous owner believed that more is better. Ah well at least it gives me something to do. Got tired of the dog robbers with their $700 94 winchesters. Frank

NVcurmudgeon
10-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Frank, good find on that 336 at $250. At least you know that with all that grease it's rust-free! There is a Winchester 94 in .32 Special "with 40 boxes" in today's Reno paper. Asking price is $650. (Gasp, hack, choke.) Now, if it was a Marlin .32............

9.3X62AL
10-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Very good find, Frank. The ridiculous prices seen lately on Win 94's surpass humor, and approach the bizarre. Just because something goes on production hiatus does NOT mean people will line up to throw down truckloads of cash to have one. It's not like the '73 oil crisis.......there were over 6 million of the 94's made, most of which are still out there.

Frank46
10-23-2006, 04:12 AM
Nvcurmurdegon (hope I got that right)And Deputy Al, well got it torn down to the barreled receiver. Got all the dried grease out and stoned down some really wicked burrs. Will lightly polish the cartridge lifter and the opposite side of the mag tube hole as its pretty rough. Got the bbl soaking with kroil and patches are coming out black. Bore is in excellent shape. Guess the origional owner didn't clean it often. "40 boxes of what 32 special ammo." There was a 32 win sp 94 for sale for $700 but in no way shape or form would any sane person pay that much for it. Course some newbie with more money than sense might. I just don't see the rational behind the high prices as over 6 million have been made and like you said most of them are still out there. Actually there were two 336's at $250 each. But some fool had sanded the receiver evidently to remove some rust. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
10-23-2006, 04:37 AM
Its funny the rip off merchants don't seem to have latched onto this in Australia. The latest gun mag had a heap of Winchester Mod70s in all sorts of variations for sale, all at abot the same price as always. No 94s though. They have come via the North Pole in a slow ship to be just hitting the market now. Mick.

They have a Classic Featherweight in 270 and 3006, boy, I tempted.

PatMarlin
10-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Winchester is over rated.. :mrgreen:

THose are less cause they're not pre-64's Mic.. :drinks: