PDA

View Full Version : scot red diamond powder loads?

bushka
12-22-2010, 07:10 PM
I took a chance on a couple lbs of scot red diamond, old stock obviously,
so far it seems red dot/bullseye loads are the equivalents from some research,
according to burn rate,and some brick and mortar loadings.
I would be open to hear any experience wth this powder as I load most popular cartridges.

thanks much and god bless!

will C

Rocky Raab
12-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Have never used it, but from an old Scot load brochure, I'd agree with you on the general burn rate.

Whenever I have a powder like that, I load a few rounds using Bullseye data and then compare the velocity I get with what I would have gotten with Bullseye. It's a sort of "poor man's" burn rate test. I use .38 data and fire the test rounds in a strong 357 gun for safety.

Rifle powders are trickier because the spread is greater. I start with 4198 loads, then move to 4895 loads if warranted.

BerdanIII
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Late to the party, but...

Scot Powder Company, 4th Ed. loading manual

"Red Diamond A high efficiency, double base, 12 gauge square-flake powder which replaces Red Dot exactly for all shotshell and pistol loads. Contains red-colored grains for identification."

This powder didn't hang around very long; its pending introduction was announced in the 1994 Handloader's Digest, it showed up in the product line in the 1995 edition and wasn't listed in the 1996 edition.

Fran G
02-27-2014, 04:41 PM
HI new member here. I have a can of red diamond do you have a load for my 38 . I would like to try this thank you fran