PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Tracker .45 ACP

Dale53
10-22-2006, 01:13 AM
I just recently bought a Taurus Tracker in .45 ACP. It is a 4", five shot ported revolver with soft, ribbed grips. It is a VERY handsome revolver. I hurt my back right after getting it and haven't been able to get to the range until today.

I had some loads for my various 1911's and used those. The Taurus comes with five shot "clips" but will shoot the .45 ACP's without clips. You DO have to pick the cases out of the cylinder as the case will not eject without the clips. That is easy to do, however. The revolver is NOT chambered for the .45 Auto Rim (not enough headspace). My loads today were a bit long and kind of interfered with cylinder rotation until the first round is fired. I am only talking about probably .010". It will be easy to correct with loads for the revolver. I tried some factory loads and they just fell into place with no problem whatsoever. The clips are made of spring steel but are quite thin. I have no idea what life expectancy I will get. I'll probably just pick the cases out with my finger nails when practicing and use the clips for a "quick unload and load again" for serious stuff.

The trigger is heavy but pretty dern decent (better than my Rugers out of the box by far). I will have a spring kit fitted. I got sighted in without fuss and then proceeded to shoot a ten shot group at the rapid fire target at 25 yards off a rest. Most of the shots were in a tight ragged group (seven "X's") but three were out. The front sight is a plastic red insert and the sun was right in my face. Like trying to shoot through a cloud of red "glow".

I then shot it two handed standing and ended up with a 96 (last four were "X's" so I was beginning to get used to it). My back started giving me fits and it was time to quit.

All in all, a VERY satisfying afternoon. :drinks: This pistol is also made in the .45 Colt. It might be preferable for some to go with the conventional revolver rounds. I think that I will stick with the .45 ACP. The revolver is very comfortable to shoot (I don't think the porting is particularly effective with the loads I was shooting but maybe with high speed 200 gr loads it will). Then again, maybe that's why the gun was so comfortable to shoot :mrgreen:. The rubber grips are VERY comfortable. It is a rather lightweight, all stainless revolver and excellent for the field. Should be a VERY good holster gun.

Dale53

35remington
10-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Dale, I understand moonclips.com has clips for the Taurus.

A friend has the 6.5? inch version. We found that Ramshot Enforcer, in standard not +P loads, produced velocities with 185 through 230 grain bullets that would put the revolver in the short range deer class. It's cleaner burning and more impressive with the 200's and 230's. Or, with heavier (250 grain) cast bullets at around 1000 fps would provide all the power needed for most uses. Dave also got some loads at the +P level from Johan Loubser, their ballistician, at around 22,000 psi, and these are pretty impressive. I understand that heavier calibers have been produced on this same frame size and since it's a five shot, no worries about cylinder strength with any sane ACP load, +P or not.

Enforcer is much cleaner burning than the loads using 2400 I used in the past in my 625-3 for the same purposes. I think you're right about the port effectiveness with most loads, but it seems to be of some help with heavier bullets and slow powders.

Dale53
10-22-2006, 02:30 PM
35Remington;
Thanks for the response. I'll look into "moonclips.com". I also appreciate the other information.

Dale53

lefty_red
10-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Can a 45ACP revolver fire 45GAP also?

Lefty

Swagerman
10-22-2006, 04:27 PM
First of all, I want to cast a positive vote for the Taurus Tracker 4 inch revolver.

I have one in .45 Colt caliber, it is extremely accurate firearm using .452 cast bulets.

Went to the Taurus website, didn't see any .45 acp, or .45 Colt caliber revolvers being offered anymore??? Do they still make them.

Dale53, I sympathize with your back problem, the wife and I, both have trouble there...as well as the legs and knees.

I wouldn't mind having one of these revolvers in .44 special, and yes, I know they come in .44 magnum...but I never shoot .44 special in any .44 magnum revolver because of the lead build-up on the cylinder jump to the throats.

A lot of died in the wool S&W addicts think Taurus makes junk, nothing is further from the truth. S&W revolvers being made today are not up to the last century quality of craftsmanship. In fact, today's products are sometimes not as good as a Taurus.

Compare warranties between the two makes.

S&W revolvers are way over priced today for what you get. But I don't expect to convince this newer generation that is the way things are from my opinion. :mrgreen:

I only own one Taurus revolver, but several older last century made S&W ones.

Jim

Dale53
10-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I went to "moonclips.com" but it was not clear whether or not their clips required milled the cylinder of the revolver or not. I wrote them and got a quick reply.

You do NOT have to mill the cylinder to use their clips. They apparently work just like the originals.

Just thought I would pass on a bit of information.

Dale53

Montanan
10-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Dale 53

The Stellar Clips are available thru Taurus web site (http://www.taurususa.com/products/stellarclips.cfm)

scrapcan
10-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I have had the tracker in 45 acp on my wish list also. I talked to a taurus dealer and had them check on new production. I was told that the 45 acp has been discontinued.

As a handgun instructor (NRA certified, but that is a whole nother story) I have seen a few different firearms and taurus seems to be good quality. However, I did get to experience one students revolter that the hammer lock would engage while the the process of live fire. Not a good situation. Taurus was more than adequate on repair/warranty, actually very good customer service. I am just not a fan of more complexities being built into a handgun, when the safety is all in the brainow the firearm owner. (notice how I stated that, it is the firearm owner who is responsible for access to and use of the firearm).

Let us know how you fair with your new shooting equipment.

Swagerman
10-24-2006, 01:29 PM
You know, I went to the Taurus website, and you are right...they don't make the .45 acp anymore.

Matter of fact, they don't seem to make any .45 caliber revolvers anymore, at least none showed up on the website or the search icon.

They list .41 magnum, .357 magnum, and .44 magnum. Plus, all the 410/45 revolvers...but no .45's.

What's up with that??? :confused:

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P2200010650XA1.jpg

Oh well, I've got this one. And if they don't make them anymore, ther're bound to appreciate in value.