PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of mold release in a mold??

Walter Laich
12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
OK, I admit it, I have used spray mold release on some of my Lee molds.

Now I would like to remove it as I have Leemented them and they really drop bullets well. I think the overspray is blocking some of the vent lines.

What do you suggest I soak the molds in to remove the mold release?

thanks,
walt

Moonie
12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I believe mineral spirits and a toothbrush should get it off or perhaps lighter fluid

GLL
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Try Acetone.

Jerry

shotman
12-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Kroil kroil

No_1
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Carb cleaner. Buy the cheap stuff, spray it on, hit with tooth brush, repeat until clean. It will come clean as a whistle.

Robert

fryboy
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
gumount carb cleaner and that toothbrush gets most of it off , with lee's almost wannabe vent lines even smoking the mold will clog them so a fine tipped needle or something to make sure they are clean and clear also helps

casterofboolits
12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Barkeepers friend and a tooth brush, then a final cleaning with a mild solution of Dawn dish washing liquid and rinse with hot water.

I'm in the process of cleaning up eight Lee and two NEI moulds right now in preperation to putting them up for sale.

markinalpine
12-22-2010, 08:46 PM
OK, I admit it, I have used spray mold release on some of my Lee molds.
walt

Been there, etc.
BOILING HOT Water soak, then scrubbed like heck with a stiff brush and Dollar store version of Dawn.
Good luck,
and Merry Christmas,
Mark [smilie=s:

onondaga
12-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Hexane will really do it. Can't tell you whee to get it however.

docone31
12-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Put the mold in a container. Pour in mineral spirits to just cover the mold. Let sit for a couple of days. Remove and cast to your hearts content.
With the mold release agent in there, most of it will come off in the pouring in the next batch.
The mineral spirits should release most, the lead will remove the rest. For the most part.

Walter Laich
12-23-2010, 03:24 PM
thanks to all for their ideas.

Got started today on trying different 'stuff' to clean them

1. Alcohol (cause I had some in the garage): nothing

2. Lacquer thinner: just put the mold halves in so will be reporting back.

next (if needed) will be mineral spirits and then liquid carb cleaner.

I'll be back with the results

walt

adrians
12-24-2010, 04:06 PM
moonshine and toothbrush ,,,don't smoke!!!:twisted::bigsmyl2::evil:

kelbro
12-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Brake cleaner and a brass toothbrush worked for me.

nanuk
01-01-2011, 08:00 PM
why not lap out out with "Comet"?

that should cover any imperfections also.

geargnasher
01-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Carb cleaners usually have a lubricant in their makeup which is great for choke linkages but bad for boolit fillout. Stick with a solvent that won't leave residue if applied to glass. Brake cleaner is good, so is really hot water and detergent. Soaking in laquer thinner sounds like a really good idea, too.

Gear

btroj
01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't put it there in the first place?

But if you did, in a moment of weakness, try a good scrubbing with comet and a toothbrush. That is my preferred method of cleaning new molds.

rockrat
01-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Berrymans B-12 carb cleaner. No lube, but don't use a toothbrush as it will melt the bristles and leave you with a mess. Use outside. I think it has alcohol, ether, acetone and MEK in it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
If all the above suggestions fail,
I'd try WD-40, then clean up the WD-40 soaked goo with Alcohol, then hot water and dish soap.

I've used WD-40 as a solvent to "gumify" or "Gelify" many adhesives,
you still need to clean up the gummy mess with alcohol.
Jon

Wayne Smith
01-02-2011, 06:19 PM
moonshine and toothbrush ,,,don't smoke!!!:twisted::bigsmyl2::evil:

OK, ya drink the moonshine, whatya do with the toothbrush?? And how does this clean the mold, or du ya just not care anymore?

Maximumbob54
01-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I have messed mine up with the Frankford Arsenal spray. I'm bad about losing time when casting and I just keep going until I run out of lead. Then I have to think about all the black crud build up I am getting. Mine is due for a deep cleaning so I'm going to try some of these this afternoon. Thanks for asking this question.