PDA

View Full Version : I tried 577-450 & trail boss & lived

enfield
12-22-2010, 08:16 AM
I know this is taboo but, for an experiment yesterday I used the 12 grain trapdoor load with a Lee 405 gr boolit and it worked fine. No filler, I did tip the rifle up before shooting but forgot on one shot and it still worked fine. Now I only tried 6 rounds but they all worked good and I shot a 50 y target with three I paper patched ( also new to me ) and they formed a clover leaf less than 1/2 ". I had tried 5744 and dacron filler with no luck ( hang fire & boolit stuck in bore etc, ). Before everyone tells me that I can use black powder I KNOW :groner:, thats what I've been using all along, this is just to try something new. By the way it's magtech brass.

wellfedirishman
12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Enfield, I have tried this also with the Lee 500 grain boolit. I used about 13 grains, no filler. It shot fine with minimal recoil, but the accuracy was terrible with boolits scattered all over the paper. I have slugged my Gahendra bore out to about .455

I found the 70 grains equivalent of BP (using Pyrodex RS) grouped better for me, and had much more oomph and recoil too.

herbert buckland
12-22-2010, 04:43 PM
I have tryed it as well,I found that going above 18gr the cases started to stick this is much lower than I have seen others recomended,I have no idear why this hapened to me in 5 difrent rifles and not to others(there were no other sighns of pressure)but I defintly will not go above 18gr now,I do use it whith PP to polish the bore on rifles and it work very well,I use a 455 bullet patched to .470 with 16gr of TB no filler or lube,it polishes the bores like a miroure,but dont try it in a rifle with a rough bore as the patch tears to peices and the bore fills with lead

enfield
12-22-2010, 06:45 PM
[smilie=1:I must admit my paper patches were a little on the large side. .005 " paper and double wrapped on a Lee 405 grain that drops at .461" ( I guess i'm lucky that it drops them so big ). (thats what would fit by hand in the neck of a fired case) and my bore is about .468" ( rough measured because of odd number rifleing. The recoil was much lighter than a 70+ grain 2f black powdercharge or even a 32 gr. 5744 charge ( when they went off ). my next paper patch will be with about .002 to .003 " paper and I will shoot at 100 yards and see how it does.