PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Wolf primers in a tubular magazine?

Dannix
12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Anyone running Wolf primers in a lever gun? I was looking at picking up some Winchester LRs, but Wolf's are 1/3rd cheaper at luckygunner (http://www.luckygunner.com/reloading-supplies/primers/large-rifle-primers).

Apparently Wolf LRs are good primers, but I figured I'd ask on their toughness. I'd rather not be the one to forge new ground in determining if they are tough enough for tubular magazines.

ReloaderFred
12-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I've never used them, but several of my fellow Cowboy shooters gave them a try. They ended up with a lot of squib loads with them and stopped using them. Winchester and Federal primers work fine for them, but not the Wolf primers. Sometimes they would get rounds that just barely cleared the barrel, with lots of unburned powder in the case and barrel.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ph4570
12-22-2010, 12:03 AM
I use wolf and tula primers in LR, LP, SP species. I have used them in pistols, revolvers, 1885s and lever weapons. I have sparked up approximately 20,000 rounds and never had an issue.

RobS
12-22-2010, 12:23 AM
I fired out many, many Wolf SR, LP Mag, and LP primers and never have had a hitch yet. I would gestimate around 16,000 all in all so far and have another 9,000 yet.

I can't testify to the LR primers though.

EDK
12-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Bought 10 thousand during the primer shortages...been using them since....got less than 4 thousand left. SO FAR, SO GOOD. I prefer winchester, but I'd buy more WOLF if I got a DEAL.

Only complaint is some are a little out of spec and hang up in the primer pick up tubes for my DILLON....but what do you expect for under $20 a thousand for the first case of them....that jumped to $28 six weeks later at the same gun show and same dealer.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

missionary5155
12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Good morning
JFYIF Wideners.com has Wolf´s for about 19 per K... I just ordered a resupply for the thousands I fired through varias lever rifles last time up last year. I use a Dillion also and had no hangups. But I also use a 1/8" brass rod on top of the primer column as a low primer indicator

starnbar
12-22-2010, 11:29 AM
I shoot em in both my winchesters and marlins never had a bad one yet I've gone through about 6000 primers so far.

doubs43
12-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Same here; thousands used and no problems. Sometimes I can't help but think that the scare stories are fabricated for any number of reasons. My own first hand experience has been positive with pistol and rifle primers both large and small.

iron mule
12-23-2010, 09:57 PM
same as above have used them for the last 3 yrs no problems at all //levers or pistols
mule

akajun
12-23-2010, 10:19 PM
I love em in my AR for Highpower, and anything else. They are all I Use now. ONly downside is they are a tad larger in diameter so some brass may be a tight fit.
FYI, they rule the roost in our Highpower club.

Ben
12-23-2010, 10:37 PM
I've shot a lot of Wolf small pistol in my 1894 , 38 Spec. CBC.

Not a hint of a problem.

Dannix
12-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. Looks like I'll be joining those with a Wolf stash as well. How hot are Wolf's LRs? I'm curious if I should go for their LRMs to light up 748, or if their standard LRs are hot enough for ball powder.

ReloaderFred, from what I've read the issue you describe may be do to not seating the primer sufficiently.

JesterGrin_1
12-25-2010, 04:39 PM
I have used Wolf LR primers. But you need to be aware that they have a hard cup. Which means that they may not fire with a light pin strike. So it depends on what firearm you are going to use them in. And what action work has been done.

I feel this was the main problem with the cowboy action shooters since they do a bunch of action work and spring work to make them slick but it will also lessen the amount of force that the hammer would strike the primer.

ReloaderFred
12-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Dannix,

Primer seating wasn't the problem with the guys having problems, since they load thousands of rounds per year for SASS matches. Several of us checked their primer seating as soon as the problem started. All primers were seated below flush.

There are two guys who we shoot with regularly who experienced the same problem with poor ignition using Wolf primers, but not with any other brand of primers. One guy could use them in his rifle, but not in his pistols, all chambered for .357 Magnum, but shooting light Cowboy loads. The other couldn't get consistant ignition in either rifle or pistol. These are all tuned guns, of course.

As for me, I grew up in the era of "duck and cover", meaning the 1950's, when the Russians threatened to blow us off the map and make America a glass parking lot. I refuse to forgive and forget and won't buy Russian products. In fact, I'm still mad at the Japanese for trying to blow up my Dad at Pearl Harbor, and all over the South Pacific...... Call me stubborn, but I still remember diving under desks at least once a week in school for bomb drills, and as far as I'm concerned, I won't help them now.

Hope this helps.

Fred

GRUMPA
12-25-2010, 06:23 PM
A neighbor of mine bought the WOLF brand primers and right on the box itself it has written on it "contains no lead" I told him to be cautious with that, he looked at me rather funny and I went on to say that THE key ingredient of the priming compound is LEAD STYPHNATE, NORMAL got that of one of my books. But just recently I ran into another reloader and he had some different type from russia and it didn't have any such thing written on it, Kinda gets me to thinking, was it a misprint from earlier versions? no clue really but if they had it on the box from about 8 months ago and now they don't did they change the formula? To risky for me to take a chance on something from another country with way different manufacturing technique. I for one well stick with domestic manufacture, no real guess work involved, they've always made quality products, it isn't worth it even at half the price to by foreign primers.

JesterGrin_1
12-25-2010, 06:44 PM
The only reason I got the Wolf was that it was pretty much the only game in town at the time lol. And I wanted to save my Fed 210's for my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. Of which will not fire the Wolf primer due to a lighter hammer spring. Well it will on the second or third strike lol.

But they have worked fine on my stock bolt guns in 30-06 and 270.

Sorry I have not used the Wolf in anything else.

You may wish to take a gander at Powder Valley. Fed 210's are 25.00 per K and the Wolf LRP is 20.00 per K. It is well worth the extra 5.oo to me for the Fed Primer.

c3d4b2
12-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Several of us checked their primer seating as soon as the problem started. All primers were seated below flush.

This is probably not be the issue, but FYI.... Some of the highly respected long range shooters ran into a problem when B. Jones started importing them. They were getting very low SD's, but were having ignition problems. What they found was the cup depth on the Wolf primers is shallower than US primers. The primers can be below the rim level and still not be seated all the way.

A neighbor of mine bought the WOLF brand primers and right on the box itself it has written on it "contains no lead"...... I ran into another reloader and he had some different type from Russia and it didn't have any such thing written on it, Kinda gets me to thinking, was it a misprint from earlier versions?

At one time there were Russian primers with and without lead. I believe I saw these when PMC was importing them, but am not 100% sure.

I dug around and found the older info on ignition.

I found the Post from Bob Jones on the long range rifle site (You may have to join to view the post)

http://www.usrifleteams.com/lrforum/index.php?showtopic=11285&hl=russian&st=15

During the KVB years, I sold millions of the Russian (Murom) primers. There were a few shooters that had difficulties with them not firing. Once everybody seated them in the bottom of the primer cup and not just flush with the base, all was well in the world.

The Lapua brass seemed to have a deeper primer cup and was probably the worst offender of the not firing primers.

This I mention as the Wolf Primers made by Murom may have the same characteristics and be sensitive to seating depth.

The measurements made on the KVB primers was not scientific but done with a 0.0001" micrometer. The depth was thought to be 0.0018 to 0.0022" shallower than the Fed, Rem primers of the day.

The outside diameter.... I thought could have almost been oval. The measurements were from 0.0002 to 0.0005 larger that the US Primers. Thus making the KVB Primer very popular among the shooters with well used brass and larger primer cups.

..bjonessights.. snipersmilie.gif--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[X]

I also found this in the same post topic

That's true of the original Murom "Russian" KVB-7 primers I have, as well as the Wolf-branded LR primers I bought in 2008. If the PP primers have anvils at or below the cup front edge, I can see why they'd behave differently - I seat (all) primers to the point those anvils are just slightly compressed into the cups....

Packing for a three-day match weekend tonight; I'll try to take some close-up pics of the primers I have on hand for comparison but might not get to posting them here until Monday night.

arcticbreeze
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Back when primers were just starting to rise in price I bought 10,000 LR and have been using them ever since with no problems

Marc

deepwater
12-28-2010, 04:50 PM
They are highly regarded in discussions at 6mmBR.com. where people are using them for precision shooting.

Dannix
01-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Just got some in. No experience with rifle yet, but I did just loaded up some of the small pistol primers. They do indeed appear to require deeper seating. I'll see how they shoot.

Ben
01-08-2011, 01:52 AM
No problems here with Wolf pistol and rifle primers.

Ben

nascarkent
01-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I have been using LP wolf primers in my 45s. Every once in awhile I get one that is hard to seat, But they all go BOOM !!!!!!!! Cant beat the price.:lovebooli

doubs43
01-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Today our gun club officially opened our new 350 yard range and held the first steel silhouette match. I won the match and my 45-70 cartridges were all loaded with Wolf LR primers.