PDA

View Full Version : Re-Barrel Enfield

russ.gentry
12-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Has anyone re-barreled a #4 mk 1 without the use of a lathe? If so how difficult was it? My brother is giving me his and it's seen better days, when he got it the barrel was already cut down behind the front sight. He the proceeded to cut it back to 22 inches and mounted a scope. I would like to at least return it to factory correct.

DIRT Farmer
12-21-2010, 09:38 PM
The hard part for me was getting the old barrel off. I have an action vice and barrel wrench that I made up for the 93 Mausers, It would not hold on the #4. I was given the advice to saw about 1/8 inch deep just in front of the action, I think the barrel could have been pulled with slip joint pliers. I tighened the barrel on the action, and fired cases from the old barrel were a tight fit in the chamber, showing marks on the shoulder.

curator
12-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I have rebarreled several No4Mk1 rifles with a proper action wrench and barrel vise. They are on pretty tight and a 4 foot "cheater-bar" is required without heat. (maybe even with heat) They crack like a pistol shot when the let go. Watch your knuckles. I usually have soaked the knox-form area in Kroil for a few days prior. I also use powdered rosin and an aluminum bushing in the barrel vise to eliminate slippage. Light application of heat to the barrel threads with a propane torch until the Kroil bubbles out of the joint before you start seems to help.

Multigunner
12-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Has anyone re-barreled a #4 mk 1 without the use of a lathe? If so how difficult was it? My brother is giving me his and it's seen better days, when he got it the barrel was already cut down behind the front sight. He the proceeded to cut it back to 22 inches and mounted a scope. I would like to at least return it to factory correct.

Since the fore end would most likely need replacement as well, I'd consider this a good opportunity to build a No.5 Carbine clone. It depends on the type of action body and condition of the bore of this shortened barrel.

Flash Hiders with integral front sight base used to be available, there may still be some at Numrich Arms. Those were cut off stubs from No.5 carbines, the flash hider still mounted to the barrel stub.

If the fore end has not been too radically altered it may still have enough wood to be altered to No.5 configuration. Repro No.5 butt stocks, made from No.4 butts were also being sold not long ago, and the hardware to convert a No.4 butt can be bought seperately.

Anyway if you do find a replacement barrel, the most commonly available type are two groove Savage take offs from Drill Rifles.
A take off barrel may not clock in properly, they often overturn which even if theres still clearance in the extractor groove will mean the front sight base won't be level. The sight can be leveled out by filing one side of each mounting lug and shimming the opposite side.

A two groove bore can be accurate, but is bullet sensitive. Some bullets like the 150 gr Hornady are very accurate in my two groove Savage, but Speer 180 gr bullets never grouped well.

I would not trade a good condition five groove barrel, even one thats been shortened, for a two groove take off barrel.

I'm pretty sure that Brownell's carries a Enfield action wrench. The one a friend uses is very simply made and I have considered making my own.

The shoulder of the Enfield barrels is undercut, when torqued down the edge of this flange is crush fitted to the receiver ring face.

camerl2009
12-23-2010, 11:40 PM

a barrel vise and action wrench dose the job
i used a little axle grease in the new barrel(#4 mk 1) i only payed $30
for the new barrel it went on just fine im just waiting for the head space
gauges to come to see if i have to change bolt heads(thank god there numberd):veryconfu.

ive had i bad time with out that action wrench and barrel vise
dont try it with out it