PDA

View Full Version : Hang fire?

Lee
10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
I guess it happens to everyone? Was shooting some of the last of the season.
.45-70 in a Pedersoli Sharps. Touched one off and instead of a crack there was a very short pause, a toilet drain kind of swooossshhh! and some unimpressive recoil. Almost sounded like a snot sliding down the barrel. I paused for a few seconds, ejected the spent brass. Checked the barrel, clean and clear. Have no idea where the shot went, and no more shots like that.

Primer looked normal.
Starline Brass
Win LR Primers
500gr cast lead
40g BLC-2

Comments?????...................................Le e

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Was it because you were being sacreligious by using smokyliss? :-) Mick

drinks
10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
You had a "phooot", result of a less than 90% or so fill of a ball powder without a filler.
I became very familiar with those while trying to work up loads in .45-70 with WC 680 and WC 844 surp. ball powders.
Seems ball powders need about a full case to burn correctly and exhibit extreme velocity variations whenin less than about 90% loads, I had WC 844 doing very nicely at 60 gr or more with velocity variations of 40-60 fps, just too much recoil, went to 50gr without filler and had over 1000fps variation, 500 to 1700fps.
Use dacron to fill the case or go to a stick powder.
About 60 gr BLC-2 should do well in the .45-70, in a Ruger or some such, but may be a shoulder bender.

Ricochet
10-21-2006, 09:06 PM
I had some of those with fillerless light loads of WC680 in .45-70, too. Mine made a dull, hollow boom and left unburned powder behind. I also had one stick the bullet in the barrel, which I still have. That's one way to slug your bore.

TCLouis
10-22-2006, 08:16 PM
last year.
They were my first and second hangfires . . .
Hang time was so long on one that I was reaching for bolt handle to eject a dud round when it FINALLY went off.
Last of that batch of primers so I guess I am covered for a while.