12-21-2010, 01:46 PM
ok so i was thinking take a mosin nagant barrel
cut off the chamber and make a muzzleloader out of it
now if some one wants to make a percussion one it can use smokeless
mine is going to be flintlock so BP only

now what to use as a bullet :?:

waksupi
12-21-2010, 02:30 PM
You are getting a bit closer to a workable project. No to the smokeless powder, though. It's burn pressure would very quickly burn out the vent. Stick with black powder. Since you are just starting in building ML's, I would suggest you do a percussion under hammer for the first experiment. You can make this mechanism pretty easy with limited tools.

camerl2009
12-21-2010, 03:42 PM
You are getting a bit closer to a workable project. No to the smokeless powder, though. It's burn pressure would very quickly burn out the vent. Stick with black powder. Since you are just starting in building ML's, I would suggest you do a percussion under hammer for the first experiment. You can make this mechanism pretty easy with limited tools.

smokeless will not work with a flintlock i know

what im saying is its a cheap build that almost anyone can do

in percussion or flint

ie smokeless or black in the percussion

real black in the flint

NoZombies
12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
For the boolit, you'll want a good bit of lube capacity. And since you'll be working with lower velocities, you'll want a lighter weight, as the longer projectiles wont stabilize at the lower velocities as well.

Is there a reason you're determined to build a flintlock before building a cap-lock? As Waksupi suggested, a cap-lock under hammer gun should be doable with limited tooling.

camerl2009
12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
For the boolit, you'll want a good bit of lube capacity. And since you'll be working with lower velocities, you'll want a lighter weight, as the longer projectiles wont stabilize at the lower velocities as well.

Is there a reason you're determined to build a flintlock before building a cap-lock? As Waksupi suggested, a cap-lock under hammer gun should be doable with limited tooling.

i have to register a caplock(i hate the long gun regustry) and i love flintlocks why becuse i can shoot and will never run out of supply of cap's or powder(i know how to make some good bp) flints well i can knap them my self and bullets cast them
i can shoot for ever and do not have to worry about anything
its my gun of choice for just about anything

camerl2009
12-21-2010, 04:03 PM
about 30gr of 3f bp

maybe a pistol bullet

gnoahhh
12-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Pretty fast Rate of Twist for a ML. They're 1-10" right? Is that too fast for a really short picket ball? I never tried anything with that fast of a twist, and would be curious to hear how it works.

I would try a pure lead .32 pistol bullet first, but sizing one of those down until it's small enough for easy loading might wipe out most of the lube grooves which may or may not be problematical. Should make a dandy squirrel rifle if it works.

Homemade blackpowder eh...?

camerl2009
12-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Pretty fast Rate of Twist for a ML. They're 1-10" right? Is that too fast for a really short picket ball? I never tried anything with that fast of a twist, and would be curious to hear how it works.

I would try a pure lead .32 pistol bullet first, but sizing one of those down until it's small enough for easy loading might wipe out most of the lube grooves which may or may not be problematical. Should make a dandy squirrel rifle if it works.

Homemade blackpowder eh...?

yup homemade i use a few different recipes
i buy my powder but knowing that you can make it and make it good enough
is the best part of flintlocks

i do have a recipe for modern swiss BP(just like the stuff you buy)

waksupi
12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Cam, please start using capitals, and punctuation. It's hard to take serious anything you come up with, when you try to communicate like this.

camerl2009
12-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Cam, please start using capitals, and punctuation. It's hard to take serious anything you come up with, when you try to communicate like this.

lol i'll try

jaguarxk120
12-21-2010, 07:22 PM
As recall many,many years ago there was a write-up in one of the gun rags about a very unique flintlock. The author used a sparking wheel from a lighter with the "flint" and made a lighter-lock muzzleloader. Can't recall what he used for a pan cover, it worked very much like a wheel lock gun. I think the pan had a cover that came down and was open just slightly so the shower of sparks would be directed into the powder pan.

It did work, just came about at the wrong time as everyone wanted caplock guns.

camerl2009
12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
As recall many,many years ago there was a write-up in one of the gun rags about a very unique flintlock. The author used a sparking wheel from a lighter with the "flint" and made a lighter-lock muzzleloader. Can't recall what he used for a pan cover, it worked very much like a wheel lock gun. I think the pan had a cover that came down and was open just slightly so the shower of sparks would be directed into the powder pan.

It did work, just came about at the wrong time as everyone wanted caplock guns.

yes thats a nice gun i just seen a pic some where [smilie=b:

yes it works the same as a wheel lock and uses iron pyrite(not flint)
same as a wheel lock. i dont like the wheel lock why some times it works
and some times it dont. but that lock seems it would be more reliable

Maven
12-21-2010, 08:10 PM
camerl2009, With an "unbreeched" bbl. you'll be able to slug it with ease. Also, if the bore is somewhere around .311" and with a 1:10 twist, why not consider some of the more common .30cal. (metrics included) CB designs, e.g., Ly. #311291, #31141, #311299, #314299? If they don't fit the bbl. as cast, you can size them down a bit in order to allow paper patching. It will be a slug gun of sorts, but it will likely be a tack driver too. Btw, the 1:10 twist will be too fast for a patched round ball, but the [elongated] CB's I've mentioned generally are very accurate in the bores they fit. Good luck with this project and be sure to show us pictures of your progress!

mckutzy
12-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Well if u dont have a good flintlock on ur gun that could be also a problem. if geometry isnt right it will not spark, or spark lightly, smash flints without fail ect.

I believe that jaguarxk120 was saying( correct me if im wrong) that it used a Ferrocerium "flint" from an actual lighter(Bic ect) with a similar wheel from a lighter. the device had a guard and a piece of leather material to be glued to the frizzen for good grip on the wheel, like your thumb striking a light.

If anything heres an idea. http://www.wikipatents.com/US-Patent-4471550/flint-assembly-for-flintlock-firearms/Page-2

As for homemade BP, once again Cam u have to watch out for what ur saying, were not alowed to manufacture gunpowder in canada with out a manufacturing license, and why... u can get goex for a cheaper amount than the components for BP. The recipe for gunpowder hasnt changed in a very long time, nowadays the process altho somewhat the same is the key to its modern sucess, whether Goex, Elephant, Schuetzen ect all the same. Serpentine powder doesnt have much power to any ways.

hickstick_10
12-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Im thinking you could probably do a boxlock (hammers attached to a steel action block) easier then a side lock, you avoid all the lock inletting, and the stock can be attached much easier. Your for end will be much simpler to fit as you can design the gun to have a 2 peice stock like a lever action.

Yes you have to shape some steel, or possibly bronze, but the vast majority CAN be done with some files, a hack saw and sweat equity, you still would need a tap and die for for breach plugs obviously. But you really make your project easier for you in the end, plus the box lock is ready made for interchangeable barrels like you expressed interest in.

mckutzy
12-21-2010, 10:26 PM
ok......I have no Idea what u just said...........

nanuk
12-28-2010, 06:22 PM
mckutzy: are you sure about making your own powder?

I was talking to a fireman here a few years ago, he made his own, and the only restriction he found was the limit in pounds of what you can store. (50 or so)

making 2-4lbs at a time I didn't think was an issue.

I'll have to check the regs again.

camerl2009
12-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Well if u dont have a good flintlock on ur gun that could be also a problem. if geometry isnt right it will not spark, or spark lightly, smash flints without fail ect.

I believe that jaguarxk120 was saying( correct me if im wrong) that it used a Ferrocerium "flint" from an actual lighter(Bic ect) with a similar wheel from a lighter. the device had a guard and a piece of leather material to be glued to the frizzen for good grip on the wheel, like your thumb striking a light.

If anything heres an idea. http://www.wikipatents.com/US-Patent-4471550/flint-assembly-for-flintlock-firearms/Page-2

As for homemade BP, once again Cam u have to watch out for what ur saying, were not alowed to manufacture gunpowder in canada with out a manufacturing license, and why... u can get goex for a cheaper amount than the components for BP. The recipe for gunpowder hasnt changed in a very long time, nowadays the process altho somewhat the same is the key to its modern sucess, whether Goex, Elephant, Schuetzen ect all the same. Serpentine powder doesnt have much power to any ways.

no regulations about making your own the only reg is that you cant have anything over 15lb of black or smokless powder at a time
but its not like anyone checks for that lol :popcorn:

gnoahhh
12-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Every time I read postings written by guys making their own black powder I just shake my head in wonder. Sure, in an apocalyptic scenario it might make sense but c'mon the Horsemen aren't bearing down on us! Why risk injury just to prove you can do it ? Even people living in remote areas can have it delivered to their door. Who amongst us is so poor that the cost of a pound or two is going to break the bank? When shooting I want predictable results, not a guessing game as to the cause of unwanted performance. I'm as much of an inveterate experimenter as the next guy but making homemade powder and primers and such to me is a fool's errand.

NoZombies
12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Well, I admit that I've made black powder before. And the only way I would again, is if there was no other option. But to each his own.

I would recommend that if you're going to make your own, that you get a powder tester. It doesn't cost that much, and can be helpful in testing "recipe's" and determining what works, and more importantly, what doesn't.

camerl2009
12-28-2010, 08:55 PM
yup thay help but cant find one here

and the powder i made was real good
all by weight

i have 5 recipes made about 5oz of each

but the modern swiss i liked but i will stick to goex for now :twisted:

mckutzy
12-29-2010, 05:02 PM
When I had taken my pyrotechnics and aerial fireworks courses, the member from the ERD, had explained that to make gunpowder and or fireworks of any kind u need a license to do so.
I cant find the excerpt from where it is stated, the lady had said this verbally to us during our class, but u can call the explosive regulatory division, and they will be happy to explain and where it is listed. there they will also tell u how much u can store of gunpowder and smokeless powders ect.

nanuk
12-29-2010, 05:40 PM
mckutzy, what is the "explosive regulatory division"?

mckutzy
12-29-2010, 07:51 PM
mckutzy, what is the "explosive regulatory division"?

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mms-smm/expl-expl/erd-dre-eng.htm

John Boy
12-30-2010, 12:07 AM
i do have a recipe for modern swiss BP(just like the stuff you buy)
camerl, made with Alder Buckthron branches, picked in late winter packed full of glucose from Slovenia, aged for 3 years and then made into charcoal with the retort temperature @ 320 C. ?
Naw, can't buy into your recipe that it's just like Swiss...
Sorry, Urban Legend [smilie=1:

gnoahhh
12-30-2010, 10:29 AM
As are most such things.

camerl2009
12-30-2010, 01:46 PM
camerl, made with Alder Buckthron branches, picked in late winter packed full of glucose from Slovenia, aged for 3 years and then made into charcoal with the retort temperature @ 320 C. ?
Naw, can't buy into your recipe that it's just like Swiss...
Sorry, Urban Legend [smilie=1:

lol

its the recipe modern swiss powder it is the same. i used balsa charcoal
it makes for a faster burn. and as for swiss powder cant find it here
but

this is where i got my info http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html

hickstick_10
12-30-2010, 02:37 PM
how do you glaze it?

camerl2009
12-30-2010, 03:26 PM
how do you glaze it?

do what now

all you do is put the wood chunks in a can with a another can bottom
to fit over it put it on a fire and there you go charcoal.

then put the chunks of charcoal in a ball mill of some sort
with lead balls when it turnd in to a powder.

measure out the amout of charcoal and sulfur and
mix it and put it in the ball mill .

then measure and dissolve the saltpeter
then put the charcoal/sulfur in to the saltpeter.

this vid can explain it better then i can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWKffzY0Yk

nanuk
12-30-2010, 04:45 PM
from what I have read, glazing is not really necessary.

I think it was used for moisture control.

I will have to review my old manuals

mckutzy
12-31-2010, 03:05 AM
serpentine powder is ok, but how abouts are u making your presscake?

klcarroll
01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Every time I read postings written by guys making their own black powder I just shake my head in wonder. Sure, in an apocalyptic scenario it might make sense but c'mon the Horsemen aren't bearing down on us! Why risk injury just to prove you can do it ? Even people living in remote areas can have it delivered to their door. Who amongst us is so poor that the cost of a pound or two is going to break the bank? When shooting I want predictable results, not a guessing game as to the cause of unwanted performance. I'm as much of an inveterate experimenter as the next guy but making homemade powder and primers and such to me is a fool's errand.

+1 on that!!!!!

I know how to make black powder, .....just as I understand the fractional distillation of petroleum: …….But I am not willing to invest in the physical plant to produce either! It is much more cost effective to simply stock up on what I need.

Kent

Wayne Smith
01-14-2011, 12:23 PM
yup thay help but cant find one here

:twisted:

Dixie Gun Works used to carry a couple of powder testers. Probably still do. I'd assume they ship to Canada. If I remember right they had one caplock and one flintlock.