PDA

View Full Version : loads for the .44 SBH

mannyCA
12-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Curious as to what size weight, design cast along with load everyone prefers for their Ruger .44 mag SBH?
I tried some of the Lyman full wadcutters that shot badly outside of 12 yrds. I want something a little more accurate for the 7.5”.
Thanks

Trey45
12-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm using a lot of 429215's and 429421's. I load what Lymans 48th says to load using H110 powder. I'm also having good luck with Blue Dot, using data from that same book.

white eagle
12-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I have been using boolits from Accurate Molds in 250 and 320 gr
my go to boolits in that cal
the 250 is a keith and the 320 is a wlngc design
use h110 and 2400 mostly with a touch of w296

44man
12-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Curious as to what size weight, design cast along with load everyone prefers for their Ruger .44 mag SBH?
I tried some of the Lyman full wadcutters that shot badly outside of 12 yrds. I want something a little more accurate for the 7.5”.
Thanks
WHY A WAD CUTTER???? They will not align the cylinder and are probably dead soft to boot. The semi wad cutter is only a step above. Poor cylinder alignment until the boolit is very hard, at least 28 BHN.
Use a RNFP or WLN or WFN boolit. The SBH is great from 240 to 330 gr as that is as high as I go.
The 265 gr RD, the 310 Lee, the 320 LBT, LNGC and my 330 gr copy of the LBT.
265 gr with 22 gr of 296.
310 and 320 gr, 21.5 gr of 296.
330 gr with 21 gr of 296.
ALL WITH A FED 150 PRIMER.
Use good dies like the Hornady.
Use water dropped WW's to get at least 22 BHN. Use a good lube like Felix.
12 yards? What are you doing? Don't even fool around less then 50 yards, then go to 100.
This is what mine does at 200 yards. No, I do not expect this from a new shooter but your gun can do it. You need to figure if you do everything right, you can get 1" or less at 50.

44man
12-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Don't feel I am pounding on you, I am not. But the SBH is a wonderful gun, don't short change it.
We can help, yes all of us but I am the accuracy nut that everyone calls crazy! :kidding::veryconfu
Dump the wad cutter FAST and be aware there are not many store bought bulk boolits that will shoot. Go to Beartooth or Cast Performance for boolits or make your own.
Just ask and ask again but it is sad to say you will have to do some work on your own.

Maven
12-21-2010, 04:10 PM
manny, I've got to respectfully disagree with .44man about wadcutters, Hornady dies, and maybe even hardening CB's for this application by dropping them in water. First, my Ruger SBH has a 10.5" bbl. and open sights (Patridge front sight). It will shoot Ly. #429421 and RCBS #250-K, both plain based bullets exceptionally well with CLAYS, Unique, Blue Dot, or WC 820. It is also quite accurate with a heavy Belding & Mull (269gr.) wadcutter. The gun is pretty impressive with these CB's @ 50 yds. too, but I'm steadier and see the target better @ 25 yds. Moreover, I don't harden any of my CB's in any way and reload for the .44mag. (and .357mag.) with RCBS dies. Fitting the CB to your SBH is an important step in attaining accuracy. Proper shooting technique (grip, trigger control, whether the gun is to be fired from a rest or offhand, etc.), which .44man will certainly agree with, is also vital to accurate shooting. Practice is essential too, but bullet design and powder choice pale by comparison to the others. Btw, here is a photo of a 25 yd. target using the B & M wadcutter:

44man
12-21-2010, 05:29 PM
manny, I've got to respectfully disagree with .44man about wadcutters, Hornady dies, and maybe even hardening CB's for this application by dropping them in water. First, my Ruger SBH has a 10.5" bbl. and open sights (Patridge front sight). It will shoot Ly. #429421 and RCBS #250-K, both plain based bullets exceptionally well with CLAYS, Unique, Blue Dot, or WC 820. It is also quite accurate with a heavy Belding & Mull (269gr.) wadcutter. The gun is pretty impressive with these CB's @ 50 yds. too, but I'm steadier and see the target better @ 25 yds. Moreover, I don't harden any of my CB's in any way and reload for the .44mag. (and .357mag.) with RCBS dies. Fitting the CB to your SBH is an important step in attaining accuracy. Proper shooting technique (grip, trigger control, whether the gun is to be fired from a rest or offhand, etc.), which .44man will certainly agree with, is also vital to accurate shooting. Practice is essential too, but bullet design and powder choice pale by comparison to the others. Btw, here is a photo of a 25 yd. target using the B & M wadcutter:
That's OK but what about 50 and 100 yards with the SBH? I hit the rail shooting at the 100 yard can so I aimed higher for the last shot. The first three are in 1-1/4" at 100.
I will not denigrate anyone's shooting because it is always what you are happy with. I always feel my job is to help everyone get the best from their revolvers. It is always up to all of you.
Vision is a big problem and I understand, I am 73.
However, boolit choice is very important as is the alloy. Once a good boolit is chosen the accuracy can be controlled by the alloy and powder choice.
I can't leave out open sights either. I use a red dot on my .44 but open sights are just not a poor choice. I shot this with my .45 Vaquero at 50 yards from Creedmore.
Maven does real good but does not go far enough for my tastes.
Remember that I am the nut that thinks a revolver can shoot better then a lot of rifles!

44man
12-21-2010, 05:49 PM
MannyCA, the best cast shooters in the world are RIGHT HERE! All you need do is test things. All is good. find your spot! :bigsmyl2:
Some do not agree with me and I don't agree with others but none of the information is really wrong.
Shooting cast opens the whole world to you if you just think and work a little. I don't like anything that shoots over 1" at 50 yards while others are at home with more at 25. That is fine, it is only your goal with your gun.
I want you to enjoy it. It can not be easy but never quit.

mannyCA
12-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the info, and no, I don’t take offense to anyone’s opinions. I’ve got a pretty thick skin, you’ve got to if you’re a member as I am on Cal Guns. ;-)
This is my first SBH I’ve casted and shot for so I want all the info I can get, I shoot so many SWC out of my Smith .357I thought, “Hey. If the SWC is good, then a full WC would be better! My mistake. I was shooting them at about 25yrs and noticed how horrible my groups were, did not realize how bad they were in the SBH.
I’ve got the RCBS Keith style and will be trying those out shortly.
I’m just starting to realize the fun that can be had with this revolver.
Thanks guys! :)

Thumbcocker
12-21-2010, 08:01 PM
You may want a variety of loads. These have done well for me. All use 429421 boolis of acww.

6.5 of red dot or 7.0 of 700x useful walking around and plinking load over 1000 shots per pound of powder.

10.0 of unique low end magnum and has been very accurate for me.

22.0 of IMR 4227 a medium magnum laod. Has proven very accurate (100 yard soda cans on a good day from a seated backrest position not with every shot but misses are near misses)
This load has killed 5 deer 1 hog and two coyote for me. Longest deer shot was 65 yards. Shoots well in different guns with properly sized boolits.

I have done a very limited amount of shooting with the lee 310 with h110 and it seems to have very good accuracy potential altohugh some guns run out of sight adjustment with that boolit.

I shoot more of the red dot load than all the others but I have the most confidence in the 4227 load. Boolit fit is important and Super Blackhawcks respond to dry firing very well.

44man
12-21-2010, 08:02 PM
All of our bantor here is good natured and friendly. Join in. If we all agreed, life would be dull. :drinks:

jecjec13
12-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a 7.5" red hawk, I find 5gr. internalional clay or 6gr. red dot with 240gr. SWC. to be a mild fun to shot load with very good accuracy at 50 yards or less. using open sights cant see much past 75 yards.

EDK
12-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Most of my shooting is down hill at my own range. GLL had a 200 grain LEE full wadcutter 44 mould; BLAMMER had a clone of 429352 at 250; and now MIHEC has a hollow base wadcutter (around 215) buy going....and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Did I say I like 44 wadcutters?

I'm shooting VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS with 5.5 inch barrel, better grips, and trigger jobs by Jim Stroh...but the standard factory sights. I can get two inch groups...or less...on a good day and two or three shots out of each cylinder full will be touching. That is as good as I am capable with those guns and any loads...maybe better than others. (I am a mere child of 62 and falling apart fast.)

Load them to an accuracy and comfort level that suits. Then freak out the range commandos when they see those "big ole square edged holes" in your targets. I use anywhere from 5.0 of TITEGROUP on up in special or magnum brass in the RUGERS and need to tinker with loads for the S&Ws...they have been neglected too long.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

PS Got a 250 grain 45 full wadcutter mould from NOE for my 7.5 Old Model 45 Convertible and 625s that I got to get busy with.

Von Dingo
12-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Hey Manny,

You didn't really say what you wanted to do. Do you need to stop charging mastadons? Wounded polar bears? Accurate, target, practice, what velocity range?

BOOM BOOM
12-23-2010, 01:58 AM
HI,
The 44 in the SBH is one of my favorite guns. Some folks do not like Rugers, but I like them a lot. The 240 & 250 gr. bullets do well, at least for me. I have killed 3 deer with 1 dose of 250 gr. SWC each. And they are fun to shoot. 100 rounds a trip to the range. Practice is important.:Fire::Fire:

44man
12-23-2010, 09:40 AM
HI,
The 44 in the SBH is one of my favorite guns. Some folks do not like Rugers, but I like them a lot. The 240 & 250 gr. bullets do well, at least for me. I have killed 3 deer with 1 dose of 250 gr. SWC each. And they are fun to shoot. 100 rounds a trip to the range. Practice is important.:Fire::Fire:
This is so true. Practice is important and you need to learn to control the gun.Tame torque and barrel rise and prevent the grips from rolling in the hand. That might work with anemic .45's but there is no way to keep a .44 rolling the same and it can also make the gun hurt something.
I find the Pachmeyer grips offer me the best even if ugly. The things have saved my big knuckle.
I have been cut to pieces shooting someones SBH where they failed to round off the sharp edges at the rear of the guard.
98% of my shooting is with hunting loads because that is what is important to me. For play I shoot a 245 gr RCBS with 7 gr of Unique but I hate to see the boxes empty so fast! [smilie=l: It is amazing how much lead and loading time is needed. It gets like shooting my Mark II's and watching a bulk box of ammo shrink. :groner:

Okie2
12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I am using the Lyman "devastor" hollow point mold...readily available (Midway USA has them). With my watercooled wheel weights & GC they weigh in at 270 grains and have a huge hollow point. 20.2 of H110. Mine out of the SBH 7 1/2 with scope is shooting 1 1/2@ 50 yards....I was tickled pink. Shot a nice doe @ 20 yards....Have fun.

Bass Ackward
12-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Curious as to what size weight, design cast along with load everyone prefers for their Ruger .44 mag SBH? Thanks

Manny,

Your gun doesn't give a s*** what I prefer. The real question is, what does it prefer?

The real question is does shooting a single design ruin the gun for other designs?

Bass Ackward
12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
That was a real joke about the wadcutters. ROTFLMAO. :lol:

What is the difference between advocating a UltraLFN with a 99% meplat and a 100%er?

Is there really an accuracy cut off?

runfiverun
12-23-2010, 11:09 PM
i doubt it till you get to 75 yds or so.

my DW 44 likes bout everything i throw at it. 429421, rcbs 240gc,jaxketed rounds of all types.
even the lee 240 gr t/l swc.
i shoot 41's and use a full wad cutter in them, the blackhawk was gonna go in to be a 44special.
till i shot the wadcutters in it.
and the hunter don't seem to care much , as long as the boolits are the correct diameter.
i think the boolit is long enough to help pull the cylinder in line with the bbl.
anyways it works far better than the lyman gas check i also have.
my leverguns seem more picky to me about oal and boolit style/load combo's.
maybe i just can't shoot a revolver.

BOOM BOOM
12-25-2010, 01:23 AM
HI,
I have tried fast powders Unique,700X,AL-7,Green Dot, & PB. Felt UNIQUE WAS THE BEST.
In slower powders I like 2400 & WC 820, but WW296 & H110 have a lot of folks who love them.

saz
12-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Like BOOM BOOM, I really like unique. It is a very good powder, but a little dirty. If I could find a powder that was as flexible and my gun liked as much I would switch. For full house loads I used to use a lot of H-110, but discovered Lil Gun. All the velocity, burns really clean and just as accurate. A very close second would have to be AA#9.

JesterGrin_1
12-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Like BOOM BOOM, I really like unique. It is a very good powder, but a little dirty. If I could find a powder that was as flexible and my gun liked as much I would switch. For full house loads I used to use a lot of H-110, but discovered Lil Gun. All the velocity, burns really clean and just as accurate. A very close second would have to be AA#9.

TightGroup is much cleaner. For around a 900 FPS load I use 5.5Gr of TightGroup behind a 240Gr boolit.

Full House loads all I use is W-296 and H-110. :drinks:

saz
12-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Full House loads all I use is W-296 and H-110. :drinks:

Try some Lil Gun. I did and haven't looked back.

TCLouis
12-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Has anyone here chronographed their 429421 loads with 6.0 - 6.5 of Red Dot, 5.0 - 7.5 Bullseye or 8-10 grains of Unique out of a 6" - 7 1/2" barrel?

Heavy lead
12-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I get in the mid 1100 fps's with the Mihec 503 and 10 grains of Unique with a Federal 150, shoots good to great in all my 44's, even the rifle, the chrono data is from three different 44's, a Smith 629 5" barrel, SBH 5.5", and a Redhawk 5'5", never clocked it out of the rifle or my 7.5" barrel's.
The 503 is basically the same design as the 429421, only with a fuller front drive band, at least the mould's I have.

BOOM BOOM
12-25-2010, 11:00 PM
HI,
I shot 10grs of unique as my practice load in my 1st yr. with the 44 mag in a SBH, & used 11grs as my hunting load.
Now my practice load w/ the Lyman Kieth SWC 250 GR. GC. is 13 GRS. standard CCI LPP. Do not have any pressure signs in my gun. BUT THIS IS A BIT HOTTER LOAD.:Fire::Fire:

44man
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Watch that Lil Gun, it burns extremely HOT. It can erode your gun.
I am not talking pressure, just HEAT.
Six shots in a few guns turned the barrels into soldering irons, I could not touch them.

saz
12-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I talked to a guy at Hodgdon and I asked him about the heat produced by Lil Gun and the post that was put out by Freedom Arms. He told me that the initial lots of it had a little too much nitroglyceryn, I think. I cant remember. I already had a can and gave him the lot number, and it was from a later lot and not to be worried. I haven't had any issues as of yet. My 454 puma gets a little hotter than H-110 loads, but not at an alarming level. I just happen to have a friend with a borescope and we keep close tabs on it. No issues after about 1000 or so loads.

bigboredad
12-26-2010, 08:25 PM
I had the same experience as 44Man after six shots I could not hold the gun. I think for me I'll pass on the LiL gun

44man
12-27-2010, 09:36 AM
I talked to a guy at Hodgdon and I asked him about the heat produced by Lil Gun and the post that was put out by Freedom Arms. He told me that the initial lots of it had a little too much nitroglyceryn, I think. I cant remember. I already had a can and gave him the lot number, and it was from a later lot and not to be worried. I haven't had any issues as of yet. My 454 puma gets a little hotter than H-110 loads, but not at an alarming level. I just happen to have a friend with a borescope and we keep close tabs on it. No issues after about 1000 or so loads.
That's good to know because the powder is accurate. I wish Hodgdon would have informed everyone of the change. I have an old lot.

BOOM BOOM
12-27-2010, 06:27 PM
HI,
I have shot 180, 240, 250 & 325gr bullets. 1,000's of each, except the 325 gr. which I have shot only 1-200 as it was to punishing for me.
Of all the above I liked best the 250 gr. gc. Lyman Kieth swc which I have a 4 cav. mold for.
Plan to experiment with the Ranch dog (RD) 265 gr gc. this year. It may end up being my new favorite.:Fire::Fire:

HammerMTB
12-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Has anyone here chronographed their 429421 loads with 6.0 - 6.5 of Red Dot, 5.0 7.5 Bullseye or 8-10 grains of Unique out of a 6" - 7 1/2" barrel?

My SRH has a 9.5" bbl, but a 265RD and 9.5 of Unique gives me ~1075FPS I can shoot these all day long and leave with a big grin :bigsmyl2:
If you ask why 9.5 and not 10 it's just because I use a Lee measure and that's what came out with the volume I used to load.

TCLouis
01-03-2011, 12:15 AM
HammerMTB

Thank you and others for your Chrono information.

RD's 265 (278 decked out ready to go in my alloy) leaves a very interesting cavity in the wet clay of my berm when pushed by 13.5 grains of WC 820Fast (think HS-7).

Gonna carry it tomorrow and see if mr. or Ms. Whitetail can stop it.

429421 at 14.4-15 grains WC820F can not come close to matching it for cavity.