PDA

View Full Version : 6 cavity mold handles

GRUMPA
12-21-2010, 11:24 AM
A neighbor of mine went and found a 6 cavity mold in 40 cal and gave it to me because he knows I cast boolits. After I got this thing home I went over it and noticed virtually nothing on it looked right. Different screws (no 2 are the same) broken handles and the like. I never owned a 6 cavity anything in my life so this was kinda new to me. Are mold handles interchangeable from lee to RCBS? I don't know cause I only have the 1 LEE mold and when I try and do a search I come up empty. I went into some sites looking for replacement wooden handles (the wood part only) and all I cant find is the entire set-up and all I want is the wood part of it. Am I looking in the right place for the parts I'm looking for?? Or are people more crafty than I am and just make their own wood handles when their old ones break?[smilie=b:

MT Gianni
12-21-2010, 12:04 PM
MoI just toss Lee handles when they break. They are under $15 or used to be. I have repaired handles with high heat cement or glue, I have used homemade handles fron an old broom I think, they came with a mold, but find the easiest thing for me to use is a factory profile handle that is smooth and uniform.

theperfessor
12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
We all place a different value on our time. It certainly wouldn't be hard to make a new wooden handle provided you had the proper tools (a hand drill) and material (a wooden rowel rod), but for me at least I would just order a new Lee handle set from Midway for about $12 and spend my time and a few extra dollars on some high temp epoxy to glue the wood in place securely.

If you do make your own you might want to use the metal ferrule off the old set if you have it to keep the new handle from cracking.

Just my two cents worth.

BCall
12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
If you are looking for wood for Lee handles, you can order them direct from Lee's website. Just look up the handles, then click on the "Serv.Parts" button beside the part number. Brings up a list of every part for the item. The wood is $2 per for the 6 cavity handles.

c3d4b2
12-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Another option for handles is the inexpensive bar-b-q tongs. The wood handles are about the correct diameter and they already have a pilot hole drilled.