PDA

View Full Version : Lead Wheelweights on Endangered Species List ?

watkibe
12-21-2010, 03:09 AM
Lead used to be cheaper than dirt and available everywhere. But it's been quite a while since anybody at a tire shop would sell me any wheelweights. In fact, lately I have been brushed off impolitely while being informed that they are using all steel wheel weights now. The last bucket I bought was 50% zinc and steel. I actually took that part back to the shop and told the guy he could get paid twice for the same scrap: I paid him for it once, and since I gave the unusable portion back to him, he can still sell it to his "regular" commercial recycler. I figured that might generate some good will towards future purchases, but the next time I went back, the boss had said no selling of wheelweight to anybody but the recycler that they contracted with.
Buying virgin alloy at >$2/lb just kinda chaps my hide, and the shipping can add insult to injury. Linotype is an obsolete technology, so that alloy is disappearing.

So hey, what are the most popular ways that people are scrounging for "anything even slightly plumbous" ?

armed_partisan
12-21-2010, 03:42 AM
I've always heard about Wheel Weights since before I started Casting (2007) but I have never seen them. One day, I made a list of all the tire places in the north part of my county. There were about 8. I stopped by each one and personally inquired about wheel weights, and asked to see the manager when I was given the "We sell them to battery companies" line. I made it clear that my future business was dependent on getting wheel weights, and all of them told me they had contracts with recyclers who paid top dollar for them.

Since then, I've gotten my tires changed, and tried again, they gave me the same line as before. I needed tires more than I needed bullets, so I let it slide. I have since then found out that the EPA has been pushing to outlaw Lead wheel weights for several years, and trying to get them banned for use as wheel weights. Nothing like over sized bits of steel slinging off of a car as it roars down the highway.

I think it's clear that we're moving into an era when wheel weights, like cheap and plentiful Linotype, are a thing of the past. They've certainly never been available to me, but even if I buy lead, it's still cheaper to cast bullets for some calibers than it is to buy bullets for them.

pls1911
12-21-2010, 08:49 AM
I've given up on wheel weights. My last four 5 gallon buckets were expensive, took a long time to sort, and were roughly 35% zinc... and I'm sure I missed a few .

I mix the mess with equal amount of reclaimed roofing lead, so have roughly 350 pounds of lead colored something.... I'll know after I try to cast a few with it later this week, and test for hardness.

I'd invest in linotype or babbit material from a more reputable alloy murchant (see ebay). The expense is largely off set when using other free lead....like roofing lead or lead sheet from xray lab installations or range scrap.
Also, check radiator shops for any floor sweepings... their trash is your treasure.
Solder spilled on the floor is still fine for alloying with a bucket of lead...

I mix the lino with "other" at the rate of roughly 1:5 or 1:10. with maybe a little 50-50 bar solder to ease the flow if needed.

This rough alloy casts at about 10-12 brynell, and will heat treat to 20+ .... the result is a base metal cost of maybe 15% to 25% of your lino, with an as cast hardness enough for non magnum pistols with plain based bullets, and heat treated roundsfor gas checked rifle bullets with hardness of linotype without lino's brittleness.
I use this method for .38/.357, .45ACP, .45 Colt .30-30, .308, and .45-70.

mdi
12-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Yep the tree huggers and buzzard lovers are pretty loud concerning lead. In about 1/3 of CA lead bullets are banned because a faulty "study" says CA Condors eat gut-piles and the lead bullets in them and die of lead poisoning. I think someone found one dead condor. But I've been casting about 5 years and have never been able to buy WWs from tire shops in So CA (excuses were same as partisan's; we only sell to recyclers and they're illegal now so we turn them in to "corporate headquarters". Yep, lead wheel weights are going the way of points ignitions...

imashooter2
12-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I've been living off indoor range scrap for years now. It's more of a pain to smelt, but it is the right price and casts beautifully as is with no additions.

dverna
12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
When I used to cast I would take range lead and make ingots. I part Linotype to 3 parts range lead for pistol bullets.

The demise of wheel weights may affect shot makers more than bullet casters.

Don

watkibe
12-21-2010, 06:32 PM
...well, this is depressing ! Thanks for the replies, fellas.

HammerMTB
12-21-2010, 09:01 PM
I just picked up 200 lbs of weights, and tho it's not all sorted yet, it looks like I'll have 10-15% Zn & Fe. I capture them separate, so's one day I can trade 'em to some metal monger who likes the stuff.
Lead WW are getting harder to find, and indeed they will get scarce like Hen's teeth, chicken lips, point ignitions, and whatever else you'd like to use to say none to very few!
I think my new resource needs to be the range.... [smilie=6:

BackWoods Billy
12-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Yep.I got a 5 gal.oil can filled to the top for $100.00 that came in at 230#.I have been milking it for some time now.I try to have a good back stop with some soft dirt so I can rack them up and recast..Next thing you know I will be going to Mexico to score WW..

troy_mclure
12-21-2010, 09:29 PM
in the few years ive been casting ive found like 10lbs of ww, most i picked up off the ground.
the radiator shops all keep their scrap and reuse it around here too.

cmkiefer
12-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I am a mechanic at a small shop in a small town and we're the local Goodyear dealer as well so we do a few tires. We still use lead weights and I fortunately get to take home the goodies. Usually about 10# a week from Sep through Dec. Our aftermarket weights are lead but most weights coming originally from the car mfg are steel or zinc. The writing is on the wall. Even our suppliers are saying it's gonna dry up before too long.

For those still hunting wheel weights, I would recommend you concentrate on the small mom and pop shops just like where I work. No franchises, they seem to be tied up with corporate rules and the recyclers.

Good luck, it doesn't look good for us out there.

fredj338
12-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Yep, going the way of most good things; over regulation by the govt will remove lead ww form the national scene within two years. Kalif pushed it along w/ it's ban, followed by Washington & some other states. The manuf are not going to make two kinds, considering how many cars are in Kalif alone. Get any you can now, they won't be available sooner than later.

Suo Gan
12-22-2010, 03:46 AM
I started to write a somewhat mean spirited remark, as I have not found lead to be that difficult to find here in Calif. I am not sure why, but it seems that if you are in the game, lead pretty much finds you. But I realize that things are changing rapidly, and common lead ww's are going the way of the dodo. They have already been outlawed in several states with more to follow in the near future. The heyday of free or cheap lead is behind us, and we all need to realize that. Within five years a lead ww will be something of an oddity. We obviously need to reassess our situation and find new sources of lead. My advice, find and procure as much lead as you can justify in the next few years as it will be like money in the bank. Good luck.

PS I am buying next week for .45 cents a pound! I feel pretty good about that...I wouldn't have last year.

BOOM BOOM
12-22-2010, 06:32 PM
HI,
My info is that due to federal administrative law ( we do not get to vote on, nor any input on) no Pb tire weights will be produced as of 2011. This was started by & pushed through by Hillerey back when she was 1st lady.

THIS is why I started the thread on using Zn (zinc) to cast boolits with last year.:Fire::Fire: