PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences between...

Marlin Junky
12-20-2010, 11:28 PM
H4198 and IMR4198? They are still both available through PV and they are both listed on their respective websites.

MJ

Rocky Raab
12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
These days, that's not an easy answer. Formerly, they were different powders with the same name. They were useful in the same applications, but not always with the same charge levels.

Today, the picture is less clear. Hodgdon is having some powders made by ADI in Australia to take advantage of their "Extreme" technology. It is entirely possible that both versions of that powder may soon be from the same source and be identical except for the label. That would make it/them similar to the well-known H/W spherical powder pairings made by St Marks.

But there will be cans of the older powders around for years to muddy the identification waters. It will always be safe to follow the current load data for your exact brand, however.

wiljen
12-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Per Hodgdon themselves:

Neither H 4198 or IMR 4198 is going to be discontinued. Both will continue to be manufactured where they currently are being made. H 4198 will continue to be Extreme.

The product name H 4227 has been discontinued. Future lots of IMR 4227 will be manufactured in Australia by ADI. While the color of the future lots will be the same as current lots of IMR 4227 future lots of IMR 4227 will be Extreme.

Dave Campbell
Customer Satisfaction
Hodgdon Powder Company/ IMR Powder Company

Rocky Raab
12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that about 4227 - and I would not be surprised if they go that route with 4198 before too long despite the statement above. I'll mull that over with Chris Hodgdon at SHOT.

swheeler
12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I believe the current H4198 Extreme is short grained and the IMR is not. When I run out of my supply of IMR4198(its old) I will replace with the current H version.