PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on lube-sizer

12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I’ve been considering getting into casting my own boolits for some time and have decided that this winter is the time to make the move. I’ve got some questions on molds and casting that I’ll deal with in a separate thread, but for now would like to get some advice and thoughts on the lube-sizer I should get.

I’ve narrowed my choice for a lube-sizer down to one of two units. Either the Magma Star Lube-Sizer or the Balisti-Cast Mark VI Mini-Sizer.

At the present time I’m leaning towards the Magma Star because it seems readily available and I can find lots of information on it. I can’t seem to find much on the Balisti-Cast, and quite frankly don’t know if they are even in business any more. I did find one article that looked impressive.

A Magma Star rigged with all the goodies (heated base, bullet feeder, air feed for bullet lube, and shovel handle) is going to cost about $610 plus shipping. I have no idea what a Balisti-Cast similarly fitted out would cost because I can’t find that information.

I’m not asking anybody to "bad mouth" any machine, but can anybody tell me if either of these machines is “generally” rated the better, or if there are any other machines available in about that same price range that should be looked at as well?

I understand there are members on this forum that can supply excellent custom dies and such for the Star unit, or probably for any unit.

I will be making bullets mostly for my hand guns (.45 ACP, .45 LC, .44 Rem Mag), but would also want to make them for some of my black powder cartridge rifles (.45-70, .45-90, 50-70, etc).

I admit I have a lot to learn about “sizing” so please excuse me if I ask some stupid questions.

Just for the record, I know I am just getting into this and normally would go slowly, but I have been shooting for over 40 years so it’s not like I’m going to change my mind about the hobby. I just want to start making my own bullets as well. That being the case, I figured I might as well get a decent machine right up front and be done with it.

All thoughts and advice welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Daddyfixit
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Welcome onboard!

I have an older Star and couldn't be happier.
All the bells & whistles are nice if the money is no problem but if it is my suggestion would be to get the basic machine and order the dies & handle from Lathesmith

You could always add the air feeder later, also check out the make your own air feeder ideas
on here!
I'm not sure about the other luber but I can't see liking something better than my STAR

wingnut49b
12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Another new caster with a Star here. I can't imagine a better machine for me. If you are a little mechanical, and do your homework here, you will have it up and running with minimal issues.

I don't have a single accesory yet. I'm using a heat gun with Carnuba Red lube, and it's doing a great job. I'll likely get a Midway heater and rheostat, but it isn't as needed as I first thought. It's cold here, so a little heat blowing on me isn't bad yet.

The air piston looks cool, but there are recent threads on how to do it pretty cheaply. I won't be paying Magma's pricing.

I just don't see a large need for the bullet feeder yet. I just sized 1500 of my .45's in the past two days. It's really not hard once you figure it out. I can see 1000/hour without a huge rush by handloading.

And last but not least, the Star has a rock solid reputation. You know you'll always have a quick sale for good money if you decide to move on to something else. That's worth a little in my book, though I hardly ever seem to sell...

rodsvet
12-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the Forum 1972. I am with the other guys on what you should start out with. The Star and possibly the heater only at first. You can always add air if you want later. The bullet feeder without the $500. collator can't be fed as fast as just dropping them in the die yourself. [at least for me] The dies, roller handle, and punches should be purchased from Lathesmith on the forum, you can,t beat the quality. With the star and heater only, you will spend 90% of your time casting and less than 10% sizing and lubing. Good luck on whatever you do!! Rod

12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks Gentlemen. So it seems the Magma Star with the base heater is the way to go for a start - possibly the air feed if funds allow. The bullet feeder can wait.

HATCH
12-21-2010, 11:27 AM
you can skip the heater to start with if you like.
You can always order it later.

Both your choices are good choices so it boils down to MONEY
The Balisti-Cast Mark VI Mini-Sizer cost more money and I don't see a real advantage.

MtGun44
12-26-2010, 03:46 PM
How many boolits per month do you think you will be processing? You are looking at
SERIOUS high capacity equipment which is expensive. If you need the capacity, have at
it and you'll be very happy with a Star although they can be a bit of a PITA to change
from a single lube groove design to a multi lube groove design with the same diameter.

If you are not going to lube large quantities, you will be well served with a Lyman or RCBS,
but they are not as fast for the large batches. Also, if you will be doing a lot of boolits,
but only 50-100 of each style, you may still come out ahead with the Lyman/RCBS style
as they are much simpler to adjust for different numbers and location of lube grooves.

I have multiples of each style and they are used for different things. IMO a Star is not
well suited for small batches that require significant adjustment to the lube location or
number of grooves to be filled due to the need to block or open holes with lead shot
pellets to move a die from 1 groove design to a 3 groove design or backwards.

Bill

Echo
12-26-2010, 08:29 PM
My dos centavos - I have two Stars, and NO heaters, air cylinders, case feeders, or shovel handles.

In reverse order - I like the round knob, and see no need whatever for a shovel handle.

As pointed out above, the case feeder offers only minute help - totally unnecessary, IMHO.

The air cylinder is a wasteful adjunct for most of us hobbyists. If one is into boolit casting/sizing/lubing as a commercial venture (Good Luck!), maybe. A twist of the pressure handle once every couple of minutes takes less time than it takes to write it down.

I use NRA lube, but when it is cold out in the reloading room (it DOES get down into the 40's here!) I put my drop light against the lube chamber for 20-30 minutes, and press on. It would work the same for hard lubes.

And Lathesmith, on this forum, makes outstanding stuff for the Star. I have a couple of his dies, and they are perfectamundo!

YMMV...

John Boy
12-26-2010, 11:15 PM
A Magma Star rigged with all the goodies (heated base, bullet feeder, air feed for bullet lube, and shovel handle) is going to cost about $610 plus shipping.:holysheep ... unless you are a commercial caster. There are other ways to lube and size that get the job done

1972, I'm not a casual caster and shooter. Last count, 53 moulds, 7000+ lubed bullets in inventory (25-20 up to 50-70) and 2000+ reloads in all calibers ready for 2011! And I don't own either of those lube sizers :D

boatswainsmate
12-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Something to read. I was taught to size on a star but it never hurts to learn what the other has to offer.
http://www.gunblast.com/Ballisticast.htm

thegreatdane
12-27-2010, 06:48 PM
have you considered pan lubing to get you started? It's super cheap.