PDA

View Full Version : Misinformation by R. Lee Ermey ...

sleeper1428
12-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Did anyone else watch the HISTINT TV channel on Sunday evening, specifically, the Lock N' Load program hosted by R. Lee Ermey? The title of this weeks segment was "Ammo" and I was looking forward to a reasonable overview of the history of ammunition. However, when the discussion got around to the evolution of jacketed ammunition, to my dismay both R. Lee and the rep from Hornady stated flatly that 'lead bullets were only of use up to about 1000 to 1100 fps because they will melt above that velocity and result in heavy leading of the firearm's bore'. Sounds like they didn't do a very good job of researching the subject of lead alloy projectiles and in particular they must not have heard of Veral Smith's research and his conclusions regarding the use of lead alloy projectiles at virtually the same velocities as jacketed projectiles. Perhaps someone ought to inform him about the existence of this forum and suggest that before he makes any more such unfounded statements he learn the true facts.

I do enjoy R. Lee but I suspect that he's not too knowledgeable about casting and shooting lead alloy boolits. I suspect that the Hornady rep tossed out that figure of 1000 to 1100 fps being the upper limit for lead bullet velocity and that R. Lee just took that as gospel and repeated it to his audience. My guess is that the Hornady rep was just doing what he could to encourage the use of jacketed bullets since that's one of Hornady's many products. All this being said, I do think that R. Lee's TV show is usually quite informative, reasonably accurate and does a good service for those of us who enjoy guns, hunting and the shooting sports.

sleeper1428

Bullshop
12-20-2010, 03:39 PM
How sad when our educational resources are derived from ignorance.
Also proving that because someone holds a position that we would assume means they possess understanding and knowledge does not make it necessarily so.
Remember when we assume we make an ass of u and me.
There are likely 20,000 or more members of this forum that could have provided a true education on the subject.

3006guns
12-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Mr. Ermey and the Hornady rep are absolutely correct. Plain lead bullets give miserable performance and will ruin a barrel in a heart beat....anyone knows that. With any luck, this information will quickly be diseminated amongst all those folks with old molds, pots, etc. who will realize they are worth absolutely nothing....and sell them cheap. After all it's "As Seen On T.V."..............

As mentioned in another post, this is not the first time "The History Channel" has given false or misleading information. Usually it's the narrator who contradicts himself, but many of the errors show little or no research. Almost seems like information based on urban myth sometimes. Pity.

gnoahhh
12-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Easy now. It's only television. Not like the internet where all the information is correct![smilie=l:

Rocky Raab
12-20-2010, 04:56 PM
R. Lee is an entertaining coot, but he's only an honorary Gunnery Sergeant. He wasn't a Marine long enough to gain that rank.

It is my considered opinion that TV celebrities have to surrender their brains to get a SAG union card.

theperfessor
12-20-2010, 04:57 PM
One of the networks - A&E or Discovery or History - don't remember which one - had an advertisement for an upcoming show about Einstein. On the bottom of the screen was the equation 4/3(pie)r^3. Yes, they misspelled pi. They would have been better off just using the Greek symbol.

jcwit
12-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Easy now. It's only television. Not like the internet where all the information is correct!

That has gotta be one of the best replys to a post ever!!!!!!

wills
12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
It is TV. TV is entertainment. TV is lucky to be able to keep it straight that the boolit comes out the small end.

I saw one program in which the narrator solemnly discussed firing a handgun to see if the boolit matched one recovered at the crime scene. There were several pictures of the gun being tested. It repeatedly changed from a Glock to a Beretta and back again.

markinalpine
12-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Pi r squared? NO! Pi r round. :bigsmyl2:

OldSchool
12-20-2010, 06:32 PM
One of the networks - A&E or Discovery or History - don't remember which one - had an advertisement for an upcoming show about Einstein. On the bottom of the screen was the equation 4/3(pie)r^3. Yes, they misspelled pi. They would have been better off just using the Greek symbol.

Volume of a sphere -- why would they be showing that, unless they planned to get heavily into E&M fields (on TV?!?)????:confused:

shootingbuff
12-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Did anyone else watch the HISTINT TV channel on Sunday evening, specifically, the Lock N' Load program hosted by R. Lee Ermey? The title of this weeks segment was "Ammo" and I was looking forward to a reasonable overview of the history of ammunition. However, when the discussion got around to the evolution of jacketed ammunition, to my dismay both R. Lee and the rep from Hornady stated flatly that 'lead bullets were only of use up to about 1000 to 1100 fps because they will melt above that velocity and result in heavy leading of the firearm's bore'. Sounds like they didn't do a very good job of researching the subject of lead alloy projectiles and in particular they must not have heard of Veral Smith's research and his conclusions regarding the use of lead alloy projectiles at virtually the same velocities as jacketed projectiles. Perhaps someone ought to inform him about the existence of this forum and suggest that before he makes any more such unfounded statements he learn the true facts.

I do enjoy R. Lee but I suspect that he's not too knowledgeable about casting and shooting lead alloy boolits. I suspect that the Hornady rep tossed out that figure of 1000 to 1100 fps being the upper limit for lead bullet velocity and that R. Lee just took that as gospel and repeated it to his audience. My guess is that the Hornady rep was just doing what he could to encourage the use of jacketed bullets since that's one of Hornady's many products. All this being said, I do think that R. Lee's TV show is usually quite informative, reasonably accurate and does a good service for those of us who enjoy guns, hunting and the shooting sports.

sleeper1428

Did not see the show. That stated could they have been referring to Hornadys swagged bullets?

Bullshop
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Pure lead boolits with good lube can do 1400 fps or perhaps a bit more with outstanding accuracy. I sell lots of conicals for ML made from pure lead and 1400 seems to be about the limit for top accuracy, not a melting point but just a threshold for good performance.

Tazman1602
12-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Pi r squared? NO! Pi r round. :bigsmyl2:

You dummies! Pie are not square! CORNBREAD are square, pie is ROUND...............

montana_charlie
12-20-2010, 08:12 PM
R. Lee is an entertaining coot, but he's only an honorary Gunnery Sergeant. He wasn't a Marine long enough to gain that rank.
Ermy might have enough experience with the M1A rifle to be considered 'well educated'.

Beyond that I think his 'equipment knowledge' is handed to him prior to each show he participates in, and he is unable to tell whether it is accurate...or balderdash.

CM

ReloaderFred
12-20-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking we should all just be greatful that they're talking about guns at all, and especially in a favorable light. Instead of picking on one item that was incorrect, let's be happy for all the other items that may have been correct.

I'm sure that the people on the show are knowledgable in their general fields, and those of us who focus on this one aspect may not be as knowledgable in their fields. I once told a clerk in a motorcycle shop, who was complaining about dumb customers, that just because a customer asks a question about motorcycles that the clerk deems dumb, that doesn't make the customer dumb. That same customer may be a real rocket scientist, and if the clerk asked a question about rockets that the scientist deemed dumb, that didn't make the clerk dumb.

I'm willing to cut the people on the show a little slack, though I didn't watch it. As a matter of fact, I don't watch much television at all, since I'm too busy loading ammunition and screwing around on various forums............

Hope this helps.

Fred

ReloaderFred
12-20-2010, 08:36 PM
As for R. Lee Ermey's experience and rank, he was a Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps and was also a Drill Instructor. He was injured and given a medical retirement. When he started acting and doing the shows, the Marine Corps granted him his "honorary Gunnery Sergeant" stripes.

I've talked to him at the SHOT Show, and he's ok, but has an ego, which is part of his persona. If he can make a good living at it, more power to him.

Fred

theperfessor
12-20-2010, 09:50 PM
I have no problem with R Lee. Heck, I'm giving my 90 year old mother an R Lee talking 12" doll for Christmas. Her and Pop were in the Corps in WWII, met and got married after discharge.

However, I still can't help noting basic technical errors in programs that could be corrected by having people involved that have a little higher level of scientific/technical knowledge and are willing to do even the most basic research. How long would have taken them to do a web search and find this site, for example? Or contact someone like Mike V.?

I hope R Lee has a long, happy, and prosperous life. I like most of the movies he's been in and his two TV series. And he doesn't hurt the image of the Corps a bit.

But I still hate technical and historical errors in broadcasting.

Muddy Creek Sam
12-20-2010, 10:02 PM

If they can't spell in english, how the heck could they spell in Greek.

Sam :D

12-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking we should all just be greatful that they're talking about guns at all, and especially in a favorable light. Instead of picking on one item that was incorrect, let's be happy for all the other items that may have been correct.

I'm sure that the people on the show are knowledgable in their general fields, and those of us who focus on this one aspect may not be as knowledgable in their fields. I once told a clerk in a motorcycle shop, who was complaining about dumb customers, that just because a customer asks a question about motorcycles that the clerk deems dumb, that doesn't make the customer dumb. That same customer may be a real rocket scientist, and if the clerk asked a question about rockets that the scientist deemed dumb, that didn't make the clerk dumb.

I'm willing to cut the people on the show a little slack, though I didn't watch it. As a matter of fact, I don't watch much television at all, since I'm too busy loading ammunition and screwing around on various forums............

Hope this helps.

Fred

I agree with that! They'd have to spend at least 30 minutes of expensive air time explaining all the nuances of various cast bullet vs jacketed bullet load/ballistics to get an average audience up to speed. While the short answer of 1000-1100 seems "stupid" it after all is only a short one line answer. I didn't see the show either but can imagine a lot of what they were talking about was not geared toward "our" brand of cast shooting or target shooting.

While it's tempting to jump on the "gotcha" bandwagon ever wonder what would happen if you shot a bunch of full pressure/velocity cast bullet loads thru an M60- no I haven't done it but would guess you'd end up with a mess and the result would indeed appear identical to melted lead :mrgreen: But, I HAVE seen handguns shot with cast bullets where, after a fairly fast 50 round stage, were left with what appeared to be lead stalactites hanging out of the muzzles :shock:

theperfessor
12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
I think it was the declarative nature of the statement that 1000 fps is the velocity limit and that after fifty rounds a barrel would be really gunked up and by inference unusable that made me take notice. Wouldn't have taken a whole lot more air time to say that the development of higher energy smokeless powder and the need for higher quality ammunition that would hold up better under field conditions and could be easily mass produced prompted the development of jacketed bullets.

Not the whole story but certainly more accurate than the flat-out declarations that were made.

runfiverun
12-20-2010, 10:30 PM
odd that the lowly muzzle loader pushes a pure lead ball 14-1600 fps and has done so for [not sure but a couple hundred years now anyways]
the muzzle balls i got say hornady on the box, and they say nothing about melting at 1k fps.

Heavy lead
12-20-2010, 10:33 PM
OK,
First of all most of all of you are right, of course pi is round, cobbler is square,
usually.
With that said most things on TV are almost, partly, or not all correct, hell I'm in the mortgage business (I know, I know, an evil mortgage guy) anyway the half truths, no truths, partial truths and outright lies I watch every day almost.
In truth, I believe on a MASS PRODUCED BASIS USING SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS the story was probably mostly correct, especially given the time constraints and the general (meaning not much) technical knowledge of the audience the show was intended for.
Remember please, that even the newest newbie here probably has way more knowledge about firearms, reloading, pressure, projectiles, powder burn rates, cartridge design and a multitude of other factors that most of us take for granted most should know, an in depth discussion on the subject of cast boolits and how to make them work as well as a modern jacketed projectile, especially on a mass produced basis would be confusing at best, simply boring and contridictory at the worst on a show like that and the audience it was intended for.
I'm rather pleased myself that they run these, and that R. Lee seems to be on "our side" with the following he has.

Duckiller
12-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Don't pick on old R. Lee, he just reads the script that is put in front of him. I suspect that the Hornady rep had an informational discussion with the show's writers and gave them the limits of lead bullets. I have part boxes of Speer and Hornady .38 WC that probably have a 1000-1100 fps speed limit.
In the same vein the news media is reporting the the storm track for the the current West Coast storm is 30,000 miles long. Earth circumference is 24-25,000 miles. Also reporting "record" rainfall. No reference to what records have been broken.
If it is on television it is ENTERTAINMENT. If you want REAL FACTS subscribe to journals that have some sort of peer review. It will give you something close to reality.

Recluse
12-20-2010, 11:10 PM
I have no problem with R Lee.

I hope R Lee has a long, happy, and prosperous life. I like most of the movies he's been in and his two TV series. And he doesn't hurt the image of the Corps a bit.

It's the rarest of times when I disagree with The Perfessor, so some of y'all may want to go and buy yourselves a lottery ticket. :)

I have zero use for R. Lee Ermey. I think he's a loudmouthed, obnoxious shill that is so full of bravo-sierra that he could single-handedly fertilize the front AND back lawn of the Marine Corps Barracks at 8th & I in Washington D.C. by merely speaking to the grass for fifteen seconds.

The overwhelming majority of Marines I know are embarrassed by him and his loudmouthed ways. And ego? Hell, yes he has an ego. Most Marines I know have almost zero ego. Just quiet, professional pride.

:coffee:

MakeMineA10mm
12-20-2010, 11:59 PM
It's the rarest of times when I disagree with The Perfessor, so some of y'all may want to go and buy yourselves a lottery ticket. :)

I have zero use for R. Lee Ermey. I think he's a loudmouthed, obnoxious shill that is so full of bravo-sierra that he could single-handedly fertilize the front AND back lawn of the Marine Corps Barracks at 8th & I in Washington D.C. by merely speaking to the grass for fifteen seconds.

The overwhelming majority of Marines I know are embarrassed by him and his loudmouthed ways. And ego? Hell, yes he has an ego. Most Marines I know have almost zero ego. Just quiet, professional pride.

You and I must know very different Marines. Every Marine I know loves the guy. He runs a celeb golf tournament and otherwise works his a$$ off raising funds for the VFW Unmet Needs program, as well as supporting MCL and Young Marines programs, as well as doing a heck of a lot of free promotion for the Corps that gains a lot of popular culture exposure/support through his entertainment. I don't see many Marines turning down his challenge coins when he hands them out.

================================================== ========

Interestingly, I see one guy who has replied to this thread has even met him. He's a shooter; would fit in great in our military rifles forum (his favorite is the M-1 Garand), and he's a reloader. He also had another episode of one of his shows where he shows casting of muzzleloader round balls. (Show me any show, on any channel, where they even show casting boolits, let alone go into the technical details to the level of accuracy we all expect on this subject at the most-speciallized site on the 'net on this subject...)

Most, if not all, of the technical inaccuracy is the restrictions put on him by the format and general (not technically-oriented) audience of the show, both of which are dictated by the people who pay the bills. Does he get a lot of free rein? Yes, but no where near totally. To expect otherwise is from ignorence of how TV shows are produced, especially a series for a channel like History.

Yes, his persona is full of bombast, but the real Lee is not like that. He's a very nice guy, loves shooting (especially US mil-surps), and is an all-around good guy. Don't know why people here feel it so necessary to knock a guy who puts shooting out there in popular culture, when it is so PC these days... Jealousy??

montana_charlie
12-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, I wish I could have a chance to ask him why yellow makes me sad...
CM

theperfessor
12-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Well Recluse, I can't say I hang out with a lot of Marines, but my students all like him. I think they (and I) realize he's an over-the-top kind of guy that isn't really the typical Marine, just like Chuck Norris isn't really a typical Texas Ranger. But he and Chuck do project a better image of the organizations they represent than a lot of Hollywood characters have done in the past, and a lot of the things they do off screen provide a lot of benefits to the 2nd Amendment cause.

I guess my concern is the number of people who view the Kennedy assassination through the eyes of an Oliver Stone movie, or who get misinformation about what happened at Pearl Harbor because of misinformation presented by the History channel. Or who don't know enough about math or who won't take time enough to proofread a simple math equation.

But of course a whole lot of blame has to be placed on the viewers that won't read a book or double check important facts in other ways. And if anything concerns me about the state of our country it's the lack of critical thinking skills and basic science knowledge of the general population.

I'm sure you've cringed from time to time when watching some police drama and seen some actor do something no real LEO would do, and with my background I guess I'm just as sensitive to technical misinformation.

JIMinPHX
12-21-2010, 02:06 AM
My pet name for that TV station is the Revisionist History Channel. I've found a lot of misinformation there over the years.

I don't assume veracity in anything I see there.

Echo
12-21-2010, 02:20 AM
My view is that EVERYTHING I see on a screen (small or large) is fiction. That way, I'm right more often than wrong...

watkibe
12-21-2010, 02:56 AM
C'mon, 95%+ of the viewers have never seen a gun except on TV or in a movie. We booliters are an "elite" of sorts, or at least a rag tag crew of esoteric cartridge obsessives who are the repository of vast amounts of obscure and arcane knowledge that most people simply are ignorant of, and don't care about anyway.
I saw that show, and just the fact that Gunny pointed out that a cartridge is "a round of ammunition" and NOT a bullet was good enough for me. He actually called the bullet "the projectile". This is the most common mistake made by non-gun people and gun people alike !
It drives me crazy !!!

NoZombies
12-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Another thing to think about is the editing that goes into it. Even if the hornady guy said something like "well, generally 1000-1100 FPS is a good rule of thumb for swaged lead, but using the proper techniques, a harder alloy and using a gas checked bullets with good lube, you could probably get maximum velocities much closer to 2500 FPS"

The editors can cut that down to "Maximum velocities of 1000-1100 FPS for lead bullets"

Even if the script writers, personalities and interviewed experts got everything right, the editors and producers who approve the cut can still manage to screw it up.

Not saying that's what happened, but after seeing how television is filmed, I had my eyes opened to the reality of the situation.

cajun shooter
12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
First thing is that R. Lee is being a drill instructor all the time with his demeanor. That is the role given him in Full Metal Jacket and he plays it to the hilt as he knows how to do it. The producers went after him for that persona, it's what made him "THE MAN" Did you ever have a nice easy going DI who got his point across by saying OK guys let's go outside now as we have other things to do today. If you become upset with his demeanor then you were in another branch like the Air Force. .His entire make up is a facade aimed at moving the ratings up. Some people may handle this role well and others will believe it's real and live it out 24-7. He is no different than your local newscaster who is handed a script and told to go it's air time!! Hornaday has always been a copper favored company that never got into lead bullets at all. All you have to do is look at what stock they have to sell.

Rocky Raab
12-21-2010, 02:23 PM
At the last SHOT Show, the line to get 10 seconds of time with R Lee stretched back about a hundred yards. I passed. This year, I'll pass again.

He was a Marine (Yeah, I know: once a Marine...) but these days he's an actor first and foremost. On that basis, I have zero interest in meeting him. In a dark bar, I'd buy him a beer, as I would any Marine -- as long as he was incognito.

12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Unbelievable! 33 posts and climbing of "gotcha", "bitchaboutsumthin", "yabut", about a TV show on bullet history or worse yet the personality of R.L.! Or a pazzilion posts about how stupid someone is for buying a used POC Lee mold on fleabay for 100.00. Sheesh, who cares- rant over

jcwit
12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Plus 1, 405 absolutily

Rocky Raab
12-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Ya see what the Winter Solstice does to people?

runfiverun
12-21-2010, 06:41 PM
+1 for watkibe.
my T.I. in the A.F. was much like ole r.lee except much more dour looking.
after basic i spent more time on base [in technichal school] and run into him on occasion, and once had a beer with him.
good guy, i don't recall him yelling once during our conversation that night.
i suspect with all T.I's and D.I's its " show time" at 5 a.m. it's thier job.
R. lee plays a part each time he's on the screen.
technichal misinformation does irk me also.
the audience is most likely gun guy's, or people familiar with them, and interested in the programs content.
much like most [if not all] of us do not watch general hospital.

watkibe
12-21-2010, 06:42 PM
"I guess my concern is the number of people ... who don't know enough about math or who won't take time enough to proofread a simple math equation.
But of course a whole lot of blame has to be placed on the viewers that won't read a book or double check important facts in other ways. And if anything concerns me about the state of our country it's the lack of critical thinking skills and basic science knowledge of the general population..."
- The Perfessor

Ditto ! We have become so dependent on technologies that only a very few people really understand. Sounds like that could be trouble, eh ?

spqrzilla
12-21-2010, 08:50 PM
The DI personal that R. Lee Ermey puts on is just a role he plays up for the camera. While it may get old for some, I can't imagine disliking him for it. A friend ran across him at Camp Perry last year and tells me that Ermey displays a genuine appreciation for those that approached him.

The particular inaccuracy noted about lead bullets above is within the bounds of oversimplication that I'd expect for a TV program.

pmeisel
12-22-2010, 10:02 AM
All this RLee chatter put me in mind of my DI. Here's to you, SSGT Robert E. Salser, whereever you are.

Any of the rest of you occasionally get DI nostalgia?

1Shirt
12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Parris Island, 1957! Senior Drill Instructor Gunny Gagnon, WWII Pacfic. Asst. DI's Korean Vets, one from Choson Res who came out with Chesty. All mud Marines and I too would like to run into them again.

Would like to meetGunny RLee! He is one of the reasons that the Corps is what it is today, has been for many years, and hopefully will remain as long as this country survives. As to the nay sayers, if you have never worn Marine Green, you just plain won't understand anyhow.
1Shirt!

mtnman31
12-22-2010, 03:56 PM
R.Lee Ermey is a pretty nice guy. I've met him twice, once at a public meeting on base and at last year's ShotShow. He seems to really care about the work he does. If there is some technical misinformation on the show I am sure he is as upset about it as any of us would be. He has said before that he doesn't just want to be remebered as the DI from Full Metal Jacket. He wants to be remembered for his educational shows. You can tell by the way he intereacts with the guests on Lock n Load that he is truly enthusiastic about his work. Look how well he treats his guests from the military and the experts he brings on. There have been other bits of misinformation on the show that the typical layman isn't going to know the difference but over all the show is great. It gets me excited about shooting, not that it takes much to do that.

Last thing to remember, like has been mentioned already, it's TV and you really can't count on anything being accurate anymore. Doesn't matter if it's coming from Jerry Springer, Fox News, NPR, or a White House press conference - everyone has an agenda and it is ALL paid for by the advertisers. TV is entertainment; you want facts go to the library or better yet get your hands dirty and find the facts out for yourself first-hand. Don't depend on TV to provide you much in the way of educational material. I guess that was a major factor in my getting rid of cable. Nowadays, any TV shows I get for entertainment I download for the internet. Let me say, it is amazing how much you can get accomplished when you get rid of or minimize the use of TV.

BTW - A little off topic - watch "How it's made", that show is fascinating to me. Doesn't matter whether they are making rockets or paper clips or beer.

sleeper1428
12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Wow! I really seem to have touched off a firestorm by my original post. All I wanted to do was to alert participants in this forum to one of the possible reasons that there is so much false information out there in regard to shooting cast boolits. I wasn't 'dumping' on R. Lee - just pointing out that he and the Hornady rep had presented, as if it were an unquestionable fact, that 'lead bullets can only be shot up to 1000 to 1100 fps before they melt and lead the bore of the firearm'. As someone pointed out, this may well be true for pure lead boolits but, with the exception of their use in muzzle loaders, pure lead boolits are not in common use. Rather, most of us use a lead alloy which in many cases will allow velocities upward of 2200 to 2400 fps or more. And as someone else pointed out, Hornady has little to do with lead boolits, prefering to sell jacketed projectiles and that is probably the main reason that lead boolits were given such little attention in regard to use in modern firearms.

As I said, I enjoy watching R. Lee but just as I do with virtually all actors, I always keep in mind that they are following a script and probably have done little, if any, research on technical points in the script. It's well to keep in mind that actors, in general, are not 'mental giants' and without a script to follow on stage, they would probably appear much like the proverbial 'deer in the headlights', tongue tied and virtually unable to move! So my beef was with the script, not with R. Lee, although I'd have thought that with his long association with firearms and the shooting sports he would have had a somewhat deeper knowledge of the present day status of lead alloy boolit casting and shooting. But then again, as someone else pointed out, R. Lee is now basically an actor and as such I shouldn't have expected as much as I did from him.

sleeper1428

KCSO
12-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Einstein, that's that city feller who thought PIE are square, CAKE are square pie are round any country boy can tell you that. As to the misinformation "even with a gas check lead alloy bullets can not be driven as fast as a jacketed bullet" "Even tin lead alloy bullets could not resist the heat from powder gasses" "The jacketed bullet which can withstand the heat of high velocity firing" "Plain base cast bullets are suitable for up to 1000 fps in handguns and up to 1500 fps in rifles"

All of the above from popular CAST BULLET handbooks. R Lee miight have been streaching the truth but I would bet the information came from within the firearms community. Just today I talked to a fellow who was amazed that I would mess with those dirty lead fouling cast bullets. Remember we cast bullets folks are a small portion of the shooting crowd and even our understanding of cast bullets is growing all the time. If I remember right my first cast bullet manual said that cast was no good beyond 2100 fps or so. When I started casting it was recommended that you use gas checks if you wanted more than 900 fps from a handgun load. Better yet "You can't size a bullet more than about 2 thou without ruining it". If they had tried to fully explain the supposed shortcomings of cast or lead alloy bullets they program would still be ON.

1Shirt
12-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Guess some of us Nebraska casters think the same way. KCSO pretty much says it the way I thinks it also! Thinks it, is sort of Ne. redneck talk in case you are wondering!
1Shirt!:coffee:

markinalpine
12-29-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBVrpI-4Ww&feature=player_embedded

GEICO's R. Lee Ermey, appearing on behalf of Toys 4 Tots & USO unloads on President Obama

Semper Fi

jcwit
12-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Thank You for posting that.