PDA

View Full Version : Annealing cartridge cases

Jim
12-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I have posted on my SITE (http://fgsp.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/annealing-cartridge-cases/) photographs of pages from Earl Naramores book, PRINCIPLES and PRACTICE of LOADING AMMUNITION. The pages I photographed are on the practice of annealing cartridge cases.
As I stated at the beginning of my post, I made every effort to obtain permission to reprint this information. The author and the copyrighter are both deceased and the publishing company is no longer in business. I could find no governing authority to grant said permission.

I credit Waksupi for recommending this book. Thank you. Ric! I have learned much from men like you and the contents of this wonderful book.

swheeler
12-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Good book isn't Jim. I just went and got my copy, has my name, where I lived at the time and 1969

pincherpartner
12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks Jim!
That was very interesting.

pdawg_shooter
12-20-2010, 04:14 PM
It may be imposable but I have annealed many thousand brass cases with the melted lead method. This has given me very uniform and usable brass. It has extended the life of my brass by a factor or 6 or 7 compared to control brass that was not so treated.

Jim
12-20-2010, 06:51 PM
It may be imposable but I have annealed many thousand brass cases with the melted lead method. This has given me very uniform and usable brass. It has extended the life of my brass by a factor or 6 or 7 compared to control brass that was not so treated.

I'm just the messenger.

jecjec13
12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks Jim, very interesting read. I use a different method myself but still very interesting.

shooter93
12-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Naramore's book is a great book. He does say he doesn't recommend annealing but then goes on to explain how to do it and cases when it may be necessary. I would say that many of us have "annealed" case necks using various methods maybe we aren't "completely" annealing the cases but rather softening them to n extent that extends their useful life.. The danger is heating the case to much to far back and he mostly mentions long heating and slow cooling not the rapid cooling in water that most here were taught.