PDA

View Full Version : Derringers?

DeanWinchester
12-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Never owned one till this weekend. I picked up a clean little derringer in a trade chambered in .32 H&R mag.

Is it really a moot point to consider developing a load for it? I can't see accuracy being more than 10 paces/minute of whole body:lol:

I'll probably load and cast for it just because it's something new to add to the loading room collection. I'm just in serious doubt that there's much to gain from spend a lot of time on it.
I'm thinking, find the heaviest bullet (around 100g) and load it at starting load. The barrel is too short to get a good burn on anything more. Am I right or wrong?

Catshooter
12-20-2010, 06:51 PM
You usually find a very unfriendly reception to derringers online.

There's probably a pretty good reason for that: most are ****. The Bond and the American Derringers are not, they're high quality firearms.

My American in 45 ACP/Auto Rim is not very accurate, it will do three inch groups at fifteen feet. Ballistics are good though, there is no barrel/cylinder revolver gap. They are also quite strong, the same piece is chambered in .44 Mag/45 Win Mag. Really, the ballistics are limited by your recoil tolerence.

You didn't say the brand of yours, so all I'll say is good luck. :) And welcome to the forum too.

Cat

DeanWinchester
12-20-2010, 07:56 PM
It's a Cobra. It actually shoots very well. It hasn't flew apart yet. Actually pretty heavy. Looks like a casting, but it's a satin finish and 32 Mag is very manageable. I know it's not a high quality firearm, but I landed it on a trade and I got nearly nothing in it.

HeavyMetal
12-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I was given a 38 Special derringer by the late father in Law and have it locked in my safe just like it was a real gun!

German made, can't remember the name on it, I take this out on the rare chance of fleecing an unknowing friend or family member out of a little "Lunch'" money.

First time I fired this thing was with Federal match waddcutters and at 50 foot both rounds touched in the center of an IPSC target!

Don't put the little gun down until you've shot it some, you may be in for a big surprise!

DeanWinchester
12-20-2010, 10:39 PM
I hope so!

NoZombies
12-21-2010, 04:40 AM
It's a nice cartridge for the gun, you can shoot .32 S&W, both short and long, as well as the magnum.

I haven't spent much time with the Cobra's, but they're pretty cheap guns, so watch out for things like cracked hinge, and growing headspace, but beyond that, enjoy it!

frontloader
12-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi ....I also own an shoot a chrome Cobra 32 H&R mag. the HEAVY trigger pull takes a lot of practice. I like it.I dont expect much for under a $100.........frontloader

Landric
12-22-2010, 09:05 AM
I have a Bond Arms Texas Defender. It is a great fun little gun, and more accurate than one might expect. I have .45 ACP and .45 Colt/.410 Bore barrels for it, both 3". I'm a huge fan of the .32 caliber cartridges, so I have plans on either a .32 H&R or .327 Federal barrel for mine in the not too distant future.

The .45 ACP out of the little gun is nothing to sneeze at, the 230 grain Ranger T averages about 790 fps. On the other hand, while I wouldn't want to be down range of it, Federal 4-pellet 000 Buck only makes about 650 fps. Then again, it only has 1/2" of barrel, the rest is chamber on the 3" gun.