PDA

View Full Version : Early Interarms Rossi 92

FISH4BUGS
12-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I bought my Rossi 92 in 357 a couple of years ago. I wanted the gun, it was unfired and it was an old one. I paid $400 for it. Too much at the time but now I am beginning to wonder if I really by accident did the right thing.
It was imported by Interarms and so stamped on the barrel. Any info on them? It would appear the quality is not even close to today's Rossis - it is head and shoulders above it.
Any premium attached to the very early (I assume) Interarms Rossi 92's?
Anyone have any experience with these?

NickSS
12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I have two of them that I bought new and would not sell them period. I have no idea as to their cash value but mine just keep on ticking along and are my favorite lever actions.

cajun shooter
12-21-2010, 12:08 AM
I have owned two Interarms Rossi rifles. When Interarms imported the rifle they gave Rossi a specification sheet on how they wanted them built. All the Interarms were a very nice deep blue with walnut wood stocks. The rifle has had different Importers such as Puma, Navy and EMF which was the last. They made the Hartford models which were also good to have. Your rifle is worth more than you paid. You see the rifles being sold for as little as $350 but those are not the same quality you have.

FISH4BUGS
12-21-2010, 10:07 AM
They REALLY are a better quality gun than today. No safety, very deep blue, well finished, and a faithful recreation of the 92, nice wood.
I would be interested in doing some research for info on these guns. My google-fu comes up with some stuff.
I'll start with today's Rossi website. They say "......In December of 1997 BrazTech International L.C. was created as the exclusive importer of Rossi firearms in North America. Previously, Rossi firearms were distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, VA."
Interarms started after WW2 and was very strong in the 50"s and 60's as an "international arms merchant". He sold to everyone.....apparently even to the "bad guys" as long as our gov't said it was OK.
More digging shows that apparently Interarms went out of business in the early 1990's. Mr. Cummings the owner died in 1999.
This means this rifle is at least 13 years old, maybe older. That's about all I can dig up right now.
I REALLY have to get to work. My ADD is getting the best of me.

runfiverun
12-22-2010, 02:35 AM
i have an early navy arms rifle in 45 colt rifle and a lcouple of later lsi imports.
they are pretty close but the edge goes to the navy arms in fit function and the sights are better.
my carbine model is in the middle somewhere and it works fine also, even with the bent front sight that come that way from the factory.
the new ones are being done by someone in italy [can't recall their name] but i think the quality will suffer from what iv'e heard of their other stuff.
i don't think any of them are quite the same as my original 92's but.....

fecmech
12-22-2010, 12:28 PM
The Rossi's are not coming from Italy those 92's are Armi Sport and they are pretty pricey and have "issues". The Braz Tech Rossi's are made in Brazil and the current ones are well made and well fitted. I have a .357 20" carbine and 24" octagon both purchased in the past 2 years. Both guns have good wood to metal fit and good blueing. They feed and eject just fine and accuracy is in the 3-4 MOA range. IMO they are one of the best bargains out there in lever guns.

doubs43
12-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Previously, Rossi firearms were distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, VA."
Interarms started after WW2 and was very strong in the 50"s and 60's as an "international arms merchant". He sold to everyone.....apparently even to the "bad guys" as long as our gov't said it was OK.
More digging shows that apparently Interarms went out of business in the early 1990's. Mr. Cummings the owner died in 1999.

InterArmCo was owned by Sam Cummings. He brought in massive amounts of surplus arms and ammunition. Commercial sales were through "Ye Olde Hunter" with full page ads in the American Rifleman each month in the 1950's and 1960's.

I visited the sales store on Prince Street in Alexandria, VA on a few occasions and on one visit there were display cases running down the long hallway with hundreds of Lugers of all kinds packed closely together. At one time they were selling 4" models for $29.95 and Artillery models for $39.95! Corrosive 9mm was $4 a hundred and Winchester non-corrosive was $5.... surplus WW2 ammo.

For Christmas in 1960, I got a Number 3 Enfield rifle that cost $9.95. The bayonet was $1.95 extra. It's a London Small Arms 1916 rifle with cut-off and windage adjustable rear sight. The bore is perfect and I still have the rifle and bayonet.

Later my father bought a NIB Colt 1911A1 that came back from England as surplus. They had new Ithica, Remington-Rand and Colt models for $39.95! Pop sent a letter saying send a Colt or return my money. He got a Colt. It's still in the family. I bought a NIB Astra Model 600 pistol with two mags for $24.95 IIRC. It may have been $19.95. They were the 1943 pistols made for Nazi Germany but never delivered. I stupidly sold it, still in like-new condition.

While the prices seem bargain basement low, remember that in 1960 $39.95 was a week's wages for many and even more for some. Still, I regret not buying more... a whole lot more!

missionary5155
12-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Good morning & Merry Christmas
I have a Interarms with my son right now and have no complaints. Well made and shoots straight. Over the years I have bought numerous Interarms branded firearms and they have all served well.
Mike in Peru

cajun shooter
12-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Taurus bought Rossi and then refused to sell EMF any of the 92 rifles. The Hartford rifles were fine rifles as they were made by Rossi in Brazil. The new 92 rifles that are made in Italy are not very good as I understood them to be made by Armi Sport which has a bad reputation for every gun they make. The quality control is about 0 and the metal is not case hardend which makes for fast wear and breakage.