PDA

View Full Version : How much harder does alloy get with water quenching?

cwskirmisher
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I cast some great looking boolits for my M1894 SRC from 50-50 mix and they shot fair. Size and lube I have eliminated now as the issue, but I am wondering if I am shooting them too soft. I don't think that I am driving them too fast (~1400 fps max). If I water quench them out of the mould, how much harder will that make them, and will that improve my results?

cwskirmisher
12-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking I should have posted this over on the lead/alloy topic area.

cwskirmisher
12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
I have reposted under the lead/alloy topic area.

x101airborne
12-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Fret not over where it is posted. The same people here look over there also. I have found for 1400 fps, softer is usually better. I air cool the relative same mix as you do with excellent results. I have found boolit design to make more of a difference in groups than anything. What kind of boolit are you using? GC or plain base? You wouldn't think it but that matters a lot! The only real way to see if your weapon will respond to water quenching the boolits is to quench around 20, load and shoot. But, I dont think that would be your problem. Hardness controlls abturation and expansion.

cwskirmisher
12-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Fret not over where it is posted. The same people here look over there also. I have found for 1400 fps, softer is usually better. I air cool the relative same mix as you do with excellent results. I have found boolit design to make more of a difference in groups than anything. What kind of boolit are you using? GC or plain base? You wouldn't think it but that matters a lot! The only real way to see if your weapon will respond to water quenching the boolits is to quench around 20, load and shoot. But, I dont think that would be your problem. Hardness controlls abturation and expansion.

Thanks, I was thinking after seeing the debris in the barrel after 10 or so shots that the boolit was possibly stripping the rifling. I have posted the details over on the other thread - Lee 379-250, bevel plain base, over 21 gr IMR-4198.

Char-Gar
12-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Try it and then you won't have to ask others.

btroj
12-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree with Chargar. Try it and see. I have no idea what will work in your gun. Only you and your gun can find that out.
Don't be afraid to experiment. As long as what you are doing is safe what does it hurt to they? Besides, this is a great way to learn what leading is and how to remove it. Once you see real heavy leading you will know it. Trust me.

Bullshop
12-20-2010, 02:25 PM
With clip on ww air cooled at somewhere between 9 and 12 BHN depending on how old they are it is not difficult at all to get 25BHN quenched.
With a bit better system of controlling heat and time BHN 30 is possible.

cwskirmisher
12-20-2010, 04:46 PM
With clip on ww air cooled at somewhere between 9 and 12 BHN depending on how old they are it is not difficult at all to get 25BHN quenched.
With a bit better system of controlling heat and time BHN 30 is possible.

No sophistication in my shop - just dump the boolits from the mould into my gloved hand, and into a bucket of cold water on the floor. The current mix (50/50) I am guessing is ~BHN 8-10. I can still scratch it with my thumbnail.