PDA

View Full Version : TrueLine Jr and Brown Bair

Wayne Smith
12-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Couple of questions - I have a "universal" Lyman shell holder I got used off eBay. It appears to have a couple of problems - first the shank is to large to go into the press, and second, if placerd in the press with the set screw seated in the shank hole, as I assume it should be assembled, the lock screw for the shell holder is pointed directly at the press, 180 degrees from where it should be. Are there more than one Lyman "Universal" shell holder designs? Might this be for the All American, or some other early press?

Second, I got out the Brown Bair I got and, with just a little Kroil it is beautiful and functions perfectly. Does anyone know, off hand, the size of the nut for the shell holders? I'm assuming I can get universal type ones from Dave @ CH4D, but thats for next year. Also, the center of the lower round drive shaft is pierced, has a screw through it, and a wear streak on the shaft. Was this the primer mounting assembly location? It was obviously well used at one point, and the lady I got it from knew nothing about it.

scrapcan
12-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Wayne,

there are many different types of j shell holders. Lots of variations and features. Location of set screw is one such feature.

Can you take a picture of the shell holder? How about measurements.

Wayne Smith
12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Holy ****! I just looked close at it for the first time - somebody dinged it enough to make it out of round. I measure .554"x .566" for an outside measure at the bottom. These were taken on the top of my Hollywood Press - the last one is looking down at the bottom. Without a lathe I guess this one is junk, eh?

Ozark Howler
12-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Couple of questions - I have a "universal" Lyman shell holder I got used off eBay. It appears to have a couple of problems - first the shank is to large to go into the press, and second, if placerd in the press with the set screw seated in the shank hole, as I assume it should be assembled, the lock screw for the shell holder is pointed directly at the press, 180 degrees from where it should be. Are there more than one Lyman "Universal" shell holder designs? Might this be for the All American, or some other early press?

Second, I got out the Brown Bair I got and, with just a little Kroil it is beautiful and functions perfectly. Does anyone know, off hand, the size of the nut for the shell holders? I'm assuming I can get universal type ones from Dave @ CH4D, but thats for next year. Also, the center of the lower round drive shaft is pierced, has a screw through it, and a wear streak on the shaft. Was this the primer mounting assembly location? It was obviously well used at one point, and the lady I got it from knew nothing about it.

The CH shell holders use a 1/2 -20 thread, this is a fine thread and may not be available at your local big box store.

Wayne Smith
12-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Nah, I just need to know what size wrench to get. It's larger than 3/4", my largest. I really don't want to put the channel locks on this thing.

scrapcan
12-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Wayne,

You definitely have a "LIGHTLY" used and user modified j to x shell holder. do you have the ability to tru it up? You might be able to set it on an vise/anvil and make it round again. the dimpled sides look like someone wanted the slot to be to the side instead at the front. That too is common as some think the slot in the front will let the x shell holder move forward under toque/stress. It will on the little press especially if one is trying to use the 7/8 die plate and try to full length size large cases with no lube in carbide dies.

Wayne Smith
12-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks, Manley. I was wondering if I could use my vice to make it more round. I think the vice is more gentle than my hammer on the anvil! I do think I will drill another hole in it, though. Or at least a dimple for the set screw. To get the screw that tightens the shell holder pointed to the front.

Pressman
12-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Wayne, a file works great to smooth those things out. I found jam nuts at Menards (home depot/lowes) work very well for H type shellholders.
Ken

Pressman
12-20-2010, 08:30 PM
The primer device on the Bair was a plastic thingy about 4 inches tall and mounted to the rear of the frame. It pivoted under the right shellholder.
Ken

Wayne Smith
12-21-2010, 09:51 AM
The primer device on the Bair was a plastic thingy about 4 inches tall and mounted to the rear of the frame. It pivoted under the right shellholder.
Ken

So for what is the bolt/screw (actually a bolt with a slotted head) that goes through the center of the horizontal drive shaft used? Obviously something that rubbed against the shaft from just beyond TDC to the exit of the bolt from the shaft in back. There is a very noticable wear streak there.

Yeah, I know, but I'm at work now. I'll get pics later.

Wayne Smith
12-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Here is a visual reference to what I was talking about with the Bair press. One is of the press, one of the drive shaft with the press down or open, one with the drive shaft with the press up or closed. In this one you can see the bolt and scar that I am referencing.

Oh, the wrench I was asking about is 13/16 the same as for my RCBS LAM2 to release the sizer. I forgot about having that one.

Pressman
12-21-2010, 09:01 PM
The screw in the main shaft is to push the primer arm to the rear, under the feed tube. The wear mark is from the travel adjustment screw in the primer arm. It regulates how far the arm goes under the shellholder.

Ken

Wayne Smith
12-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks, Ken. I never expected to use this for priming. That's what I supposed but it's good for someone somewhat OCD to know.