PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night in the Casting Shed

FISH4BUGS
12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I guess I have entered the realm of an old fart. My girlfriend and I went out to dinner early Saturday night and when we got back to her house, I was wide awake and thought it was a good idea to fire up the heater and the melting pot, turn on the radio, and cast some bullets. (She has allowed me to set up my smelting and casting operation in the shed. I think I will keep her.)
I had purchased an H&G #51 bb 4 cavity mould that I wanted to try and finally had the chance. Starting at about 8 pm, I went flat out until 11:30 pm. Who needs to go to the movies or to some play or concert when I can stay home and cast?
Man did I cast a pile of bullets. A full LARGE coffee can of bullets. I didn't bother to count them but it is about 28 lbs of bullets, or maybe some 1200 bullets if my math is near correct.
That #51 casts a bullet with a lube groove that is about the size of the Panama Canal. I think properly sized it will not lead up the barrel. I'll be shooting them in my 38's, light 357's (and I'll see just how hard I can drive them) and Interarms era Rossi 92.
Properly tuned the H&G mould was putting the bullets out as fast as I could pour them. Using the speed casting method upped the production significantly.
I found it interesting to note that the mould was sensitive to the tension on the handle hinge bolt. The tighter it was adjusted, the better the bullets fell out of the mould. It was so tight at one point that I needed two hands to open the mould. Properly tensioned, the bullets fell out many times simply by opening the mould after whacking the sprue plate. If they stuck a bit, just a light tap with the neoprene hammer popped them out. Too loose and the bullets (particularly the one closest to the handle hinge bolt thingie) would stick....and I mean stick.
The part I am interested in is how well the bevel based bullet will shoot. There are those that say BB bullets don't do as well. We will see.
All in all a very pleasant Saturday night. Better than sitting watching TV.

Calamity Jake
12-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Ran a few myself last night, didn't fill a coffee can but got a couple 100 each of
RCBS 30-180 SP and a new to me RCBS 243-95 SP, running both at the same time.

mold maker
12-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Too dad blamed cold in the shed. I couldn't stand still long enough to cast a shadow. 22* with wind gusts is not my idea of casting weather.
Am I being too soft?

BoolitSchuuter
12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
I just stand closer to the lead pot. :-)

theperfessor
12-20-2010, 11:20 AM
If I spent a Saturday night casting in my girlfriend's shed I'd spend the rest of the week in the woodshed... 'cause I'm married!

FISH4BUGS
12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Too dad blamed cold in the shed. I couldn't stand still long enough to cast a shadow. 22* with wind gusts is not my idea of casting weather.
Am I being too soft?

I use a Hurricane Products heater that sits atop a regular propane tank - the kind that is used on your grille. I have a small fan attached to the propane tank that helps circulate the air. If it is 10 degrees outdoors, in an hour or so it will be up to about 35-40 in the shed. Certainly warm enough to cast if dressed properly.
If it gets REALLY cold, like zero or below, it takes two hours to warm the shed enough to cast. I can't think of any reasonable way to cast with shorts and Tshirts on in winter. It just gets too darn cold here in NH.
A good heater and air circulation is the key - and a shed that is somewhat tight so the wind doesn't blow through easily. Summer is for shooting and smelting. Winter is for casting. Reloading is on an as needed basis.

RedHawk357Mag
12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
hinge bolt adjustment...last casting session; I remember my bolt worked loose (still need to re tighten). I did notice a few more stickies...thanks for something to consider.

Shiloh
12-23-2010, 06:54 PM
We need pics.

Shiloh

kbstenberg
12-23-2010, 08:36 PM
You know your getting old when casting takes presedence over the bar or the dance or the movies.
Kevin

crabo
12-23-2010, 10:09 PM
You know your getting old when casting takes presedence over the bar or the dance or the movies.
Kevin

I think smarter is a better word than old, although we often have to get old to get smarter.

nanuk
12-24-2010, 11:44 AM
the older I get the smarter I think I get

bbailey7821
12-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Sure is cold up there... It got down to 50 down here last night!

Merry Christmas guys and gals!

:bigsmyl2:

FISH4BUGS
12-24-2010, 12:19 PM
One thing for sure......I murdered my TV about 25 years ago. My kids grew up without TV, and my girlfriend gave it up about 7 years ago. In fact, the TV she had was taken to the range and machinegunned officially to death with a S&W 76 9mm and a MAC11A1 in 380 (yes I cleaned up the mess) . I would point out that it was murdered with CAST bullets! It was damn near a religious experience!
Doing without TV allows me to do the things that I really enjoy doing rather than being a slug. Scrounging lead, smelting, alloying, casting, size and lubing, case prep, reloading, keeping it all organized, and finally shooting and starting it all over again is enjoyable and relaxing time. That is why they call it a HOBBY. Not only is it relaxing, it is producing something very worthwhile.
The secret? Kill your TV. Then you can spend time doing those fun things that relax you and are productive.
On a Saturday night, rather than be a slug and watch TV, hit the castng bench! You stay out of your girlfriends's way, you can go inside and say hi on occasion, and you can listen to the radio. In fact, here it is Christmas Eve afternoon, and I am about to size and lube those H&G 51's that I cast the other day. Since my office is in my house, I can stop working and be sizing and lubing 15 minutes later.
....it just doesn't get any better than that. I am one lucky guy.
Merry Christmas to all.........

2muchstuf
12-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Too soon old, too late smart!

My grandfather, 1900 - 1995

Merry Christmas everyone.