PDA

View Full Version : .38-55 or .45-70

Nine-Toed Omar
10-21-2006, 06:15 AM
I'm kicking around the idea of either a .45-70 or a .38-55 barrel for my T/C Encore.

I've had MAJOR reconstruction of my spine and am now a bit leery of the recoil of as many .45-70 rounds as I know I'd shoot. I love that cartidge, but it can be punishing.

I know nothing of the .38-55. Is there anyone here with real world experience? I suppose there is the .40-65 to consider as well, but again, no experience.

Come on. let's here it!

Jon K
10-21-2006, 10:55 AM
NTO,

If you like the 45-70, you'll like the 38-55. The cartridge, like the 45-70 is very easy to find an accurate load. It is low recoil next to the 45-70. You'll be able to send lots of rounds downrange, and not get beat up.

Who's 38-55 barrel are you looking at? Barrels may vary in bore sizes and twist.
I have a Contender barrel from Van Horn, .375 groove diameter/1:12 twist, shoots very accurate and mild. More like a 375 Win barrel chambered 38-55. I cast a different boolit for it than my 94 or high wall both of those are .379.

40-65, another good cartridge, but I don't know who is building an Encore barrel in that chambering. It is very mild in my Shiloh, but I think the T/C may be a little light for th 40-65, especially w/heavy bullet.

Good Luck with your back,

Jon
:castmine:

NickSS
10-23-2006, 06:32 AM
I shoot all three of the calibers you mention but not in an encor. The 45-70 will kick a lot more than the 38-55. The 40-65 is in betwween the two kick wise depending upon loads. I have a high wall and a Marlin 336 in 38-55 both shoot extreamly well. However, I would rate the cartridge as a deer and blackbear load for hunting. The 40-65 and 45-70 I shoot in single shots and also a Marlin guide gun in 45-70. I have loaded light loads in both for plinking. In fact I shoot a lot of round balls in the 45-70 over 5 gr. of red dot powder. Makes a nice 25 yard plinking load with no recoil. I lube the bullets in liquid alox and seat them right on the powder with a wooden dowel. Of course these are only good for plinking and killing pests around the house. An accurate light 38-55 load is a lyman 248 gr flat point plain base bullet over 18 gr of AA 5744. It shoots good in both my rifles.

SharpsShooter
10-23-2006, 08:17 AM
You have some valid concerns about recoil when it comes to the 45-70. It is about all I shoot any more and the usual reaction when someone looks at a loaded round is "that will knock your head off". Sure it can be loaded to the level of dinosaur killer. I have done it and it works incredibly well on anything you will hunt on this continent. I have also turned the throttle down, even with heavy boolits to make it a fun gun to shoot without sacrificing accuracy. Mid range loads work just fine for the Whitetails around here. Best of all, it is the most cast boolit friendly caliber in existince today. Reloading components are available at a reasonable cost almost anywhere. Not so with the 38-55 or 40-65. Components for those have limited availability and are more expensive.

With the 45-70, you will have a very broad range of velocity and boolit weights to select from and find what is both comfortable and accurate for you.

Hope this helps ya out.

SS

:coffee:

versifier
10-23-2006, 11:16 AM
NTO,
I, too, have had major spinal reconstruction surgery, and I do not tolerate heavy recoil well. Consider a few points. The Encore is a very light rifle in most configurations, but it is no big deal to have a serious recoil pad installed on a stock. I fit all my rifles except the .22-250 with good, thick pads, and I use a slip-on for milsurps. I do not generally shoot anything bigger than the .30-06, but one doesn't necessarily have to load hot with a bigger cartridge. (I have a friend that shot the .458X2" and he loaded it down to the recoil level of a .243 for plinking and woodchuck in the garden control.) I would pad the stock first, then get both barrels, play with them for a year or so, and keep the one that works out best. By that time you will probably have bought several other barrels in smaller bores to play with, too. T/C's are addicting.

Rafe Covington
10-30-2006, 08:03 PM
I have an encore barrel [17 in. long] in .38-55, it is very accurate and hardly any recoil. I have a .45-70 also, if recoil is going to bother you than the .38-55 is the way to go.

Just my opinions

Good Shootin