PDA

View Full Version : tools for barrel shortening

jwhite
12-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I have three different 35 caliber barrels I would like to shorten and have been thinking about investing in some gunsmithing tools. Any suggestions for a pilotted reamer for facing and crowning the barrels after I cut them? I would like to have something with interchangable pilots if available. I would be interested in buying used ones if anyone has anything like this for sale. Two of these barrels are pump action Remingtons and I am not real keen on removing the barrels to do them in my lathe so a hand reamer seems like a good option.

Thanks,
Jerry

Nora
12-20-2010, 02:00 AM
This is what I use. Hope it is what you are looking for. After you have one set all you will need for a new flavor is the pilot.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18282/Product/BRASS_ONE_CALIBER_SET
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=980/Product/MUZZLE_RADIUS_CUTTER

Nora

jwhite
12-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Nora,

Thanks for the links, that looks like just what I need. Was wonder if the difference between the brass and steel sets is just the pilots?

JW

Pavogrande
12-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Since you have a lathe why not buy a piloted spot facer and make your own pilot and handle?
Making your own pilot may be best in order to fit your bore as close as possible to prevent "wobble".

Nora
12-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Yes the only difference is what the pilot is made of.

Nora

82nd airborne
12-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Nora, I use a PTG Crowning tool on my barrels. My best shooting rifle is an M96 Swede in .250 sav.
It is crowned with a modified end mill.

jwhite
12-21-2010, 08:45 PM
What exactly is a piloted spot facer?

Pavogrande
12-24-2010, 11:58 AM
OH boy! I can't show photos or a link - So i have to tell you to google it -- A spot facer is sort of like an end mill without side cutting ability. Only cuts on the end surface. It is often used to cut a flat surface on an uneven surface for a bolt head or fitting.
However, a piloted spot face about 7/16 dia costs about $20, the changeble pilot costs about $6. You may need to brass bush the pilot to the correct bore diameter though.

jwhite
12-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Pavogrande, I looked these spot facers up and they seem to be just what I need, found a pic on the Enco website. Thanks for the idea.
JW

jwhite
01-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Last night I started on my Rem. 7600 35 Whelen barrel shortening, actually I started on the stock first and scribed a half inch line around the butt plate and using a Japanese backsaw shorten the stock 1/2" and then marked off 19" on the barrel and cut it off with the porta-band. I then filed it to as close to square as I could get. This morning I turned out a brass pilot for a 3/4" spot facing reamer as suggested by Pavogrande and faced the barrel off and using a little fine lapping compound and a short piece of bronze shafting with an appropriately sized radius cut on the end cleaned up the crown. A little cold bluing and I was back in business. What a difference in how it handles, went for a walk this afternoon plinking with some Ranch Dog 35 @ 1300fps and it was much handier when working through the blowdowns, also noticed it much easier to maneuver in and out of the truck. All in all very pleased with the end result with very little cash outlay and about 3.5hrs total time, with most of that being spent fitting the butt plate after cutting the stock down. Thanks for the good advice.
JW