PDA

View Full Version : help with a 336

troy_mclure
12-19-2010, 04:59 PM
i took apart my grandfathers 336 in .35rem. several days ago for a thorough cleaning. it went back together fine

i just tried loading it.

the screw pin that is on the lower part of the mag tube(holds on the forearm) seems to be binding the spring. i can load 2 into the tube and it is fine, but if i load 3 the spring hangs up and does not push the rounds out.

i have fiddled with tightening and loosing the screw, and the sling stud. both seem to affect it minimally, but i cant make it feed properly.

any ideas what im doing wrong

jr545
12-20-2010, 08:46 AM
A couple thinks you might try.
Take the tube off again and clean well if you didn't the first time and also clean the follower. Check which end of the spring contacts the follower, I've seen a few that had one end cut and wound blunt and others that were just cut at the coil in a way that contact with the follower would cause it to cock in the tube. I had one that the spring was cut in this fashion and had feeding issues until I flipped the spring. I expect it was done by the previous owner to facilitate easier loading and not by Marlin.

troy_mclure
12-20-2010, 09:01 AM
ill try it thanks.

troy_mclure
12-20-2010, 07:12 PM
both ends of the spring are just cut coils. it loaded and fed before.

arcticbreeze
12-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Just to make sure I understand, if you load 2 in the tube it will cycle fine but if you load 3 or more it is like there is something stopping the spring or follower? Have you looked down the tube to see if there is a burr or a rough spot on the follower that looks like something is binding on it? Does it look like the tube has been compressed or out of round in one spot? Just some suggestions because I just took my 336 apart and can't think of anything else to cause what you are describing.

Marc

troy_mclure
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
ill check the round, but there is no burs or anything i can see.
its like the lower pin is hanging up the spring or follower.

arcticbreeze
12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Just another thought, when you load more than 2 rounds and cycle the lever does it let 1 round on to the lifter and let the next round go to far and bind it not allowing the lifter to raise the cartridge to the correct position to enter the chamber? If so that is the classic "Marlin Jam".

troy_mclure
12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
nope, i can barely get 3 in, then the rounds just slip around loose, no spring tension to keep them in place.

August
12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
check all screws on right side of receiver for tightness.

BABore
12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Dumb question, but you did put the mag follower back in the tube before the spring? Also, the spring goes inside of the follower cup. I had assembled one of mine once where the spring end hooked over the outside edge of the cup and caused a similar issue.

troy_mclure
12-22-2010, 03:30 PM
ill double check but im pretty sure its in the cup.

woody1
12-22-2010, 11:13 PM
i took apart my grandfathers 336 in .35rem. several days ago for a thorough cleaning. it went back together fine

i just tried loading it.

the screw pin that is on the lower part of the mag tube(holds on the forearm) seems to be binding the spring. i can load 2 into the tube and it is fine, but if i load 3 the spring hangs up and does not push the rounds out.

i have fiddled with tightening and loosing the screw, and the sling stud. both seem to affect it minimally, but i cant make it feed properly.

any ideas what im doing wrong

troy,
There shouldn't be any screw or screw hole intrusion into the magazine tube at the forearm (rear) barrel band like there is at the front barrel band and magazine tube plug. Is there on yours? I've seen aftermarket sling swivels that were mounted by drilling and threading a hole in the rear barrel band, They may have intruded into the magazine tube and/or, when over tightened, dented the magazine tube. Is that perhaps the case here? My suggestion is take off the swivel and take out the rear barrel band screw and see what happens. Again, the mag. tube should be smooth and clear up to the front barrel band. Regards, Woody

troy_mclure
12-22-2010, 11:37 PM
ill check it out. thanks.

Ben
12-23-2010, 01:47 AM
This probably sounds too simple, but try it.

With the spring out of the mag tube. Take you follower and see if it will " free fall " with gravity the full length of the tube, if it won't you've found your problem.

troy_mclure
12-23-2010, 02:01 AM
it will free fall, but i hear it nicking something on the lower pin area.

assuming its a dented tube, how would one fix this? or is a new tube the answer?

NickSS
12-23-2010, 04:51 AM
If it is a dented tube it probably needs replacing but have you pulled the spring and follower and looked down the tube with a light? If you see the band screw that holds the rear band on the rifle that is your problem. Remove the pin and look at it carefully. If it is bent it is possible that when tightened the bend is up and causing the problem. Also it is possible that the sling swival threaded into the band may have pushed up on the screw and dented the mag tube slightly. Look down the tube first and if you see anything raised that is your problem spot. It may be possible to get a break cylinder hone on a long rod and polish it out or you may need a new tube.

troy_mclure
12-23-2010, 04:58 AM
ill check it out thanks.

woody1
12-23-2010, 12:59 PM
troy,
I'm guessing you haven't actually had the mag. tube off. I'd suggest you do that. Then you'll know what gives with the tube. If you need an a disassembly/assembly guide, let us know. Regards, Woody

arcticbreeze
12-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Can you clarify the "Mag Tube Pin Screw" are talking about. The screw I think you are talking about is at the far end of the mag tube so I don't see how it could bind anything.

Another thought, could the barrel band be too tight and compressing the tube?

http://www.gunuts.com/images/40.jpg

troy_mclure
12-23-2010, 08:04 PM
its #51, rear band screw.

ive taken the screw out, still has a bump or something the follower nicks. im going to tear it down tomorrow.

woody1
12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
its #51, rear band screw.

ive taken the screw out, still has a bump or something the follower nicks. im going to tear it down tomorrow.

Now we're cookin'. Regards, Woody

iron mule
12-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Troy
sent ya a pm hope this can be of help to you
mule

218bee
12-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Had a similar problem on a Marlin 22 and the tube was bent ever so slightly. Had to replace tube with one from Gun Parts. I suppose if ya got a dowel rob (wooden) that fit tube just right ya might be able to iron out the dent (if thats the problem) good luck and I'd be curious to what fixes it. I still have my 336 in 35Rem...its my very first centerfire from about 40+ yrs ago and she still shoots fine

Canuck Bob
12-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Dumb question, but you did put the mag follower back in the tube before the spring? Also, the spring goes inside of the follower cup. I had assembled one of mine once where the spring end hooked over the outside edge of the cup and caused a similar issue.

Me too, jammed up my 444 real good!

Ben
12-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I believe you're getting real close to finding out exactly what your problem is now.

Ben

troy_mclure
12-24-2010, 10:03 PM
alright guys this is what i got.

the groove for the rear band screw has a dent on the inside. and opposite side the sling stud had put a small dent there.

so it is catching on 2 obstructions exactly mid way of the tube.

so ive either got to hone or hammer it out.

madsenshooter
12-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a job for a properly sized mandrel, i.e. metal rod. A bit of tapping on the end should force your pinch point open enough to allow the rounds to go through. Elmer Keith claims to have fixed the early WWII bazooka blow ups in this manner. First a gauge, if it didn't go through, then a mandrel and a bit of tapping.

troy_mclure
12-27-2010, 06:55 AM
couldnt find the proper sized rod and didnt want to try filing from the inside.

just ordered a new one. thanks for the help guys!

madsenshooter
12-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Sometimes the quick and easy way works best. In the meantime a proper sized rod will show itself and you'll have a spare tube or one to sell to someone else.

44magLeo
01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
A gun smith may be able to fix those dents. They have tools for fixing dents in shotgun barrels. They might have the right size tool for your tube.
The tool works like a very small hydralic bottle jack. It slips into the tube and as you "jack it up" it pushes the dents out.

troy_mclure
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
well i got a new tube but the grooves and holes dont line up.