PDA

View Full Version : Star - first outing

wingnut49b
12-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Awesome! I love this sizer. If anyone is thinking about getting one but nervous about the learning curve, don't be. You can size as fast as you can get another boolit in the die!

I Found it on Ebay with the die I needed. Epoxied the punch flat so I can size base first like the new ones. Ordered Carnuba Red from Lars. Mounted it up with a Dillon bullet tray and bracket to catch the sized boolits.

Sized my first 500 this morning, and I'm a happy camper. I've been reading here for a year learning, so my homework was done, but I didn't expect it to go this well the first time. The only issues were a little lube on the nose every 25-30 boolits, and no lube when I went too long without turning the screw. I can live with that!

I used a Wagner heat gun blowing on the base to keep it around 100*. Figured that was about 'coffee cup' hot, and it worked well. I may do a Midway heater sometime soon.

Thanks for all the help guys! It's like Christmas came a week early!

Andy

SWANEEDB
12-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Yep, I know what you are saying, I've got two star lubers, both with heaters, one lyman, one magma, hooked up the lyman with a reostat switch. Recently added a bullet feeder to one of them, takes longer to fill the tubes than sending them thru the sizer (just about). Now for more dies, contact Chris (aka lathesmith on this forum), I've got a least 7 of his dies, piece of art they are. Sounds like you are a one happy camper.

wingnut49b
12-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks. I am excited to see it run. Already have my eye on some add ons, but this is working great without them. Using a heat gun will get really crappy to stand in front of when it not freezing out though.

This and the Dillon make 45ACP ammo cheap and a breeze to load! Now there are no excuses for my crappy shooting.