PDA

View Full Version : The mighty Super Redhawk

44man
12-19-2010, 10:16 AM
My friend came to re sight his SRH, 44. He wanted it at 100 yards. I set up targets and he shot a bunch but was pulling shots left or high.
He has a nice variable Loopy and was shooting my load of the Cast Performance 320 gr LBT WLNGC with 21.5 gr of 296 and the Fed 150 primer.
He asked me to shoot it and I had a 3/4" group but a little low, right. Two graduations up and left centered me.
He still shot left so I watched him. The gun was showing torque and uneven barrel rise. I also found he was putting his finger too deep into the trigger. I hit him with the billy club a few times, it helped! [smilie=l:The SRH needs a firm grip, stop letting it do what it wants to do!
I set up a bottle and shot it dead center. He shot it a little left yet but close enough for deer.

home in oz
12-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Nice shot!

44man
12-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Nice shot!
If you look close, you can see his hole just low left of mine.

fishhawk
12-19-2010, 12:39 PM
he was aiming at the H!

RP
12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
44 Man you need to come teach me how to shoot I do fine until I put a scope on mine then I cant seem to hit the targets well at all. I think its a mind thing seeing how bad I shake or move having a scope makes it worse. Any Ideals to fix that.

44man
12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
44 Man you need to come teach me how to shoot I do fine until I put a scope on mine then I cant seem to hit the targets well at all. I think its a mind thing seeing how bad I shake or move having a scope makes it worse. Any Ideals to fix that.
I can't shoot a scope off hand, need a good rest. I shake like crazy and when I see it all---forget it. I shoot open sights better off hand and the red dot next.
I am not that great a shot but can make my revolvers shoot but I need to be steady and recoil does not bother me.
The human body is a P.O.C., not a machine. We shake and wobble like mad and I am no better or worse then anyone else. I just prefer not to see the wobble. I even shoot an open sight rifle better at long range off hand then I can with a scope.
I am not magic, I make the guns magic but I am a normal shooter.
Do whatever you need to, sandbags, sticks, knees, Creedmore, etc, so you can be steady.

bbailey7821
12-19-2010, 05:25 PM
That's some pretty high cotton from a clunky ol' wheelgun!

[smilie=1:

TCLouis
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Great shooting.

The Super Redhawk is a shooter and the trigger is decent after the first 1000 or so trigger pulls wear the burs off.

Heavy lead
12-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I've got a SRH in a .454 (not my favorite cartridge) and thanks to many here including 44man, I've learned how to shoot it and finally found out how accurate it is, it will shoot right along with the BFR in .475 I have with a Bisley grip. I took the scope off and am using open sights, not factory, but a front Millet green fiber optic patridge style front and a higher white outline blade in the rear, now I usually hate this type setup and prefer plain black sights for shooting targets, but for hunting I can pick them up good, from a solid rest it'll shoot one hole groups at 50 and kill deer all day at 75 and 100, I always shoot from a rest, and if I'm hunting from tripod shooting sticks.
I just can't shoot this thing with a scope, unlike my BFR.

BOOM BOOM
12-23-2010, 02:16 AM
HI,
GREAT SHOOTING.:Fire::Fire:

ole 5 hole group
12-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Not 44 Man, but I can miss just as well as anyone.

As for ideas for shooting with a scope. For me it's getting the timing down - in a way it's really no different than shooting open sights off-hand. Shooting with open sights is the hardest, as you have to concentrate on alignment and once you have that, you have to get your timing down, so when the sights are coming back on target the revolver "magically" goes off and the bullet finds its way to the bullseye. Same with the scope - watch that X-hair as it travels back & forth across the bull and take up the trigger as it's coming in. Of course this takes a lot of trigger time to perfect – for some it’s a year or two and for others it’s a little longer.

With the scope or red dot you don’t have the alignment problem to conquer but you still need to get your timing down. When that X-hair moves around your bull off a good rest, it normally does so fairly consistently if you keep your grip steady (if not, all bets are off). The X-hairs normally move more so, as you increase your “squeeze” on the grip. You can’t really see this at long range using a 2X but go to an 8X and you will see that X-hair doing a jig or a waltz depending upon your grip. Shooting a scoped 22 is a lot easier than anything 357 and up because we need to hang on to that monster.

You should be able to call your shots with a scope as you can shooting open sights off-hand.