PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Spirits?????

63 Shiloh
12-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Hey Fellers,

I see the term 'mineral spirits' used a fair bit in the Boolit Lube section.

OK, excuse my ignorance, but I am not familiar with that term. It maybe a lingo thing in the US or here in Australia.

What exactly do people mean by Mineral Spirits?

Is it Turpentine, Kerosene, Methylated, Vaseline, Shellite?? well you see what I mean.

Any clarification appreciated.

Mike

Limey
12-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Hi Shiloh,

....my interpretation of Mineral Spirits is White Spirits....the stuff you buy from the hardware store to clean up your paint brushes after putting on gloss paint.

I read on this very Forum that was what it was when somebody was talking about thinning Lee Alox Lube with Mineral Spirit....they then explained that Mineral and White Spirits were one and the same......I tried it....worked fine.

One all in the cricket eh?........Mrs Limey says you're in for a drubbing in Melbourne!.....fighting talk or what?........

Straight shootin',

Limey

63 Shiloh
12-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks Limey

Hmm, I had to turn the cricket off the other night, it was bloody painful!

Well, I reckon Ricky needs to go, he has had a good run.

Would be keen to see Warnie back, but I hear he is busy with Liz Hurley:mrgreen:

Mike

Limey
12-19-2010, 09:11 AM
....Shiloh...

.....hot off the press today, Liz has dumped him for sending X-rated text messages to her........

....and quote from Mrs. Limey....''we British girls have better taste than that!''.......

.....clearly Warnie 's still trying to bowl the maidens over but he's just delivered a 'no-ball'!.....

.....and, as for the cricket......again from Mrs. Limey....''I'm really happy for Pontin to stay as he's useless now!''.........

Good luck for the next test mate....I don't care who wins as long as both sides put up a good fight........but when either side gets out like a bunch of drunks having a hit about on the local green after a beer too many I reckon they should have their wages forfeited and given to a local charity........people pay good money to watch them and when they play so badly something must be done to incentivise them to give valus for money.

....blimey....we're sounding like ''Test Match Special'' on the BBC!.....

Straight shootin'

Limey

358wcf
12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
63Shiloh-
Of the substances you listed, I would think Shellite is closest. We in the US might also call mineral spirits Naptha,Paint Thinner, White Gas, Ultrapure Unleaded Gas, Coleman Fuel, Camp Fuel- in essence, a highly volatile solvent with no or minimal additives. On my New Zealand trips, we often used Methylate for camp fuel.

Hope this helps just a wee bit-

Good on ya!

358wcf[smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

357shooter
12-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Here in the US you can buy Mineral Spirits. Don't know what's in it. I did a quick google so you can see the labeling: http://www.amazon.com/Klean-Strip-Mineral-Spirits-Quart/dp/B003DL9126

357shooter
12-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Yep, you guys a right about Mineral and White Spirits being the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_spirits

Eutectic
12-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Yep, you guys a right about Mineral and White Spirits being the same thing.

63 Shiloh,

Two names you might find 'down under' are Varsol (Exxon/Mobil) or Stoddard Solvent as the name used by Chevron or others.

Eutectic

63 Shiloh
12-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Thank you Gentlemen.

Right, off to get some 'mineral spirits' to thin the LLA out a bit.

To Limey, Hmmm, interesting now matey, your lot got flogged in the 3rd Test champ. :p

I think Mitchell Johnson has made more Poms scared that the idea of a bath with soap :takinWiz:

Game on my friend!

Mike

Limey
12-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Hi Shiloh, Mrs Limey here!!

Well, yes we were well and truly thrashed in Perth BUT, not as thrashed as you were in the second test when we won by over an innings!! :-? :-?Gosh, this is better sport than the cricket!

Actually we have friends who live in Perth and their son went over to watch the test and we lost so I'm blaming him. Sadly, he's off to Melbourne as well. I haven't actually seen much cricket this time as I'm safely tucked up in bed but I might stay up on Boxing Day!!

Merry Christmas,

Mrs Limey

.....blimey Shiloh.....I haven't seen Mrs Limey so excited for ages, well done, and again, have a great Christmas....bought the white spirits yet?

Straight shootin'

Limey

63 Shiloh
12-20-2010, 11:14 PM
LOL!!

Ah, Mrs Limey, can you please tell your English girls to leave poor old Warnie alone! Jeez, he gets in trouble with them. :mrgreen:

My little sister is a dancer at the Moulin Rouge, her name is Louise.

So, if you are ever there look for her and say hi.

Merry Christmas to the both of you too.

Enjoy the Cricket.

Mike

Limey
12-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Shiloe,

....your sisters a dancer at the Moulin Rouge?............now, if you could ask her to organise some complimentary tickets for a show I promise I will support the Aussi's to win the next test!.....

Mrs Limey and me wish you and your family a peaceful, happy and joyeous Christmas and that 2011 brings you all health, happyness and even a bit of wealth......but even better....some straight shootin'.....

Mr. & Mrs. Limey

check us out at www.la-janais.com

montana_charlie
12-21-2010, 06:26 PM
63Shiloh-
Of the substances you listed, I would think Shellite is closest. We in the US might also call mineral spirits Naptha,Paint Thinner, White Gas, Ultrapure Unleaded Gas, Coleman Fuel, Camp Fuel - in essence, a highly volatile solvent with no or minimal additives. On my New Zealand trips, we often used Methylate for camp fuel.
While true that mineral spirits is a solvent, it is not any form of gasoline.

It is similar to turpentine, and both are used as paint thinners. But, they are different substances...from different sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine

CM

2wheelDuke
12-21-2010, 06:31 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41olHcOFTZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gelandangan
12-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Siloh mate,
Down here in Oz, Mineral Spirits are called Mineral Turps
You get them in Bunnings or similar stores.

Shiloh
12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Siloh mate,
Down here in Oz, Mineral Spirits are called Mineral Turps
You get them in Bunnings or similar stores.

Mineral spirits, mineral turp, paint thinner, paint brush cleaner, ect.
Then I recently saw a new product, at least new to me. Synthetic turpentine.

Many names for the same stuff. I use it for thinning alox and as an additive to my
tumbing media.

Shiloh

canyon-ghost
12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I used to work in a refinery, mineral spirits smells very close to JP-4 (white kerosene). It would make sense that kerosene and paint thinner share the same range of specific gravity. It's cheap oil based paint thinner, probably second-rate kerosene.
Hope that helps ya out,
Ron

63 Shiloh
12-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Ah, Roger.

Turps it is then, thanks for the clarification.

Limey, I will PM you, I should be able to organise a free show for you; done it before.

Last time I bought a Night Force scope from a bloke in Chicago. We got talking on the phone and he was a solid bloke.

He was going over to France for work and I called my sister to look after him. He was very happy with the free show right up front and my Sis showed him some of the sights. She speaks perfect French and has been living there for over 8 years.

They have a albino Python at the Rouge, my Sis is the one who swims with it and stands up with this big bloody snake draped around her.

Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year.

Mike

knifemaker
12-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Pure mineral spirits also makes a very good gun cleaning solvent. I use it on my semi-auto pistols. I break them down to the basic frame-slide parts. Use a hand pump spray bottle to spray the parts good and you will see the black gunk flow off.
Then scrub the parts with a tooth brush and spray again and you have nice clean parts. I also like to use a air compressor to blow the excess mineral spirits off and then lube and re-assemble. Nice thing about it, mineral spirits from a hardware store is very cheap, far cheaper then factory gun cleaning solvents.
Been using it for years and it works very well.

shotman
12-23-2010, 08:43 AM
same as kerosene but the next step up most all the oil is removed. Its about same as jet fuel. some call it naptha

Three44s
12-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I use mineral spirits to thin my LLA.

What I found is you want to add it very cautiously ...... as it thins out the LLA very quickly with very small doses.

Three 44s

Limey
12-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow Shiloh, Mrs Limey here.

What an offer. I don't need too many excuses to try and get Mr Limey to take me to Paris for the weekend!! If you were able to organise that it would be fantastic.

Not too keen on snakes, albino or otherwise so hopefully it won't escape. I guess your sis is used to them coming from Oz.

Anyway, have a great Christmas and I'm sure we'll have some more banter after Boxing Day!!! ( Go Pieterson:grin:)

Limey here. What's Santa bringing you gunwise for Christmas?