PDA

View Full Version : Star lubesizer project

Roundnoser
12-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Just assuming some people are interested in this restoration stuff...I'm working on a Star sizer restoration project. The first photos I took of the Star when I first received it were accidentally deleted (bummer). It was in pretty bad shape.

The photos below are Phase 2. Used a sand blaster with very fine sand. Nossle was held approx. 8 inches away so as not to damage the aluminum. I need to file down some rough spots and give them a finish sanding before primer/paint.

I plan to use cold bluing for the lube tube, and stick with the original dark blue paint on the brackets. It should be pretty close to original when finished.

Had to order 25 dollars worth of small replacement parts from Magma Engineering. When I got it, a couple of broke parts had been jury rigged.

I was trying to get an idea how old it is. You can't tell by the photo, but the lube plunger bushing is secured with a one-way, brass cross pin. Cannot be removed unless its drilled out (I believe). On newer models, the plungers were threaded into place so they could be serviced...again, as it was explained to me. So long as it doesn't leak badly, I don't plan to mess with it! -- So far, so good!!!

27783 27784

Matt3357
12-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Did a very similar project when I got mine like a year ago. After a new punch and sizing die from the guy on here and it is as good as new. Good luck.

Matt

ReloaderFred
12-19-2010, 12:04 AM
I've got one that I was given that is pretty rusted. That will be my next project. Another one has a broken pivot casting, and I don't know how I'm going to repair that one. The other three are working fine, though.......

Fred

Roundnoser
12-19-2010, 12:20 AM
I've got one that I was given that is pretty rusted. That will be my next project. Another one has a broken pivot casting, and I don't know how I'm going to repair that one. The other three are working fine, though.......

Fred

I spoke to Magma Engineering about a week ago when I ordered parts for my Star. Just for kicks, I asked him if he worked on any Star sizers (Stars that Magma didn't manufacture). He said they do. -- From what I understand, the brackets are friction fit and need a special tool to remove properly. I'm guessing that Magma Eng. could remove that bracket, and replace it. Question is...what would it cost???!!! You could at least call to get an idea...

ReloaderFred
12-19-2010, 01:04 AM
I have to call them to order some parts for my Master Caster molds anyway, so I'll ask them about the old Star. What ticked me off the most, it's the one in the best condition of all 5 of them! I was sizing bullets and heard a "POP" and then nothing worked. When it cracked, it rotated on the lube tube and everything was out of alignment.

I asked them at the SHOT Show a few years ago if they would work on the older Star lubri-sizers and they said they didn't. Business might be slow enough that they had to reconsider....

Thanks,

Fred

Roundnoser
12-19-2010, 01:15 AM
I have to call them to order some parts for my Master Caster molds anyway, so I'll ask them about the old Star. What ticked me off the most, it's the one in the best condition of all 5 of them! I was sizing bullets and heard a "POP" and then nothing worked. When it cracked, it rotated on the lube tube and everything was out of alignment.

I asked them at the SHOT Show a few years ago if they would work on the older Star lubri-sizers and they said they didn't. Business might be slow enough that they had to reconsider....

Thanks,

Fred

I'd give them a call. Couldn't hurt. However, I'm betting that between the shipping, labor and parts, it might be an eye-opener...I could be wrong.

ReloaderFred
12-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Without the handle, it will fit in a USPS Flat Rate Box for $10.70, so shipping isn't bad. I'll call them and see what they say.

Fred

Roundnoser
12-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Without the handle, it will fit in a USPS Flat Rate Box for $10.70, so shipping isn't bad. I'll call them and see what they say.

Fred

If you would, please let me know what they say...costs, etc. Thanks.

ReloaderFred
12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Will do.

Fred

Roundnoser
12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Well, I recieved some parts for my Star the other day. Took about 4 days for them to arrive from Magma Engineering. I needed a new Hycar washer, Ram link, link pin, and push rod assembly. The total with shipping was 30 bucks.

I have now turned my attention to the parts of the sizer that were originally black in color. Now that I have sandblasted the entire unit, I wanted to repaint (or powder coat) those parts that should be black. I noticed that the original star parts look powder coated. You can see some of the metal shine come through the paint. Powder coating isn't really an option, so I tried cold bluing. It worked really well, and very closely emulates the original finish. Cold bluing paste cost me 10 dollars. Here is a pic of the blued parts...

Next step is to remove the pitting from the lube tube, and polish it. It will eventually get the bluing treatment. The aluminum brackets have been clean-up and are ready for priming / painting. Just have to tape it all off.

cheese1566
12-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Cool beans!

Coming together and looking great!

Roundnoser
12-25-2010, 01:16 AM
I finally completed the project. Its not the best it could be, but given the fact I could not remove the brackets from the tube, it turned out all right. Compared to what it initally looked like (trust me), its like new again! A few more pics below (Primer, painting, and finished luber). Question is, what am I gonna do with it? I already have three Stars on the bench! Certainly plan to stare at it awhile any ways...

wingnut49b
12-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Nice. My 'new' one has just enough battle scars to make me look like I know what I'm doing!

Texasflyboy
12-26-2010, 12:21 AM
I was trying to get an idea how old it is. You can't tell by the photo, but the lube plunger bushing is secured with a one-way, brass cross pin. Cannot be removed unless its drilled out (I believe). On newer models, the plungers were threaded into place so they could be serviced...again, as it was explained to me. So long as it doesn't leak badly, I don't plan to mess with it! -- So far, so good!!!

There were three models of the Star Sizer over the years. You have the final model, which has the pump sleeve held in place by a press fit + a brass pin. This model (with the pin) is the one my research has shown to be the longest produced model by the original mfg (Star).

The models with the pump sleeve held in place with a threaded spanner screw are of later production by Magma Engineering.

I successfully repaired a model like yours with a worn pump sleeve. I drilled the pin out by using a 18" long (18 inches) aircraft drill mounted in a tabletop drill press. I was able to bend the drill around the obstruction and drill out 80% of the pin, which was enough to get it out. I press fit the replacement pump tube a friend made on his lathe. The old one was egg shaped with clear wear at 9 and 3 o'clock. The replacement had a 1/2 thou clearance and it works perfectly. Nice job on the repair and rebuild.

One of these days when I get breathing room I will post online my Star research.

Roundnoser
12-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks TexasFlyBoy! Appreciate the history lesson...it makes owning one more interesting. I for one would be really interested in your Star research. I've read some history on Star Reloaders forum, but much if it deals with the progressive / universal presses. Still, lots of good info.