camerl2009
12-18-2010, 08:19 PM
i cant seam to find any molds for .25 acp dose anyone make them

shotman
12-18-2010, 08:39 PM
very rare and VERY hard to cast. Lyman made them 252436 have fun

deltaenterprizes
12-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I had some Lyman molds and had to use linotype to get the bases to fill out. I think RCBS still makes molds but are pricey.

I have a cherry I made to cut a mold but I am having trouble with the little bugger, when I get things working I am going to make a few and offer them for sale.

armed_partisan
12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I designed a wildcat based on the .25 ACP bullet, and I would like a Truncated Cone or RFN design about 40 or 45 Grains. If you get one made, Delta, then I might be interested.

starreloader
12-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Delta, if you get this 25 auto bullet mould going please let me know....

BCall
12-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I have a couple of Lyman(discontinued), an RCBS, a Lee, and a Ranchdog RF design. The RD is the best of the lot, but not available yet either. Other than the RD mold, they are all RN designs. I would like to see a SWC or TC style to tinker with.But the RD design works well. Ballisti-Cast has a couple of the H&G designs as well. The #906 kinda looks like a mini #68 with a rounder nose, but it is hard to tell from the drawing.

melloairman
12-18-2010, 10:08 PM
LBT made me one and it is a very good mold . I have a swag die for a corbin s press for a 25 acp if you swag .That I want to sell Marvin

turbo1889
12-19-2010, 01:24 AM
I think the only real way to make a decent 25-ACP mold or any of the smaller molds with drop weights at or below 60 grains is to make them in a specialized set of blocks that is much smaller then the normal mold block size so that that the cavity size to block size ratio is more in line with the normal to allow a normal casting pace and keep the blocks up to temp without having to resort to continually dumping entire ladles of lead over the top of the mold to keep it hot enough.

I'm thinking a mold block that is only 3/4"-Tall x 1"-Wide x 2"-Long with only about 0.4" of meat between the handle slots and put four cavities in it on 0.4" center to center spacing with alignment pins on the ends of the blocks in the handle grooves like on Lyman and Lee 6-cav. Molds. Cap that block off with a thick sprue plate with a big milled out oval shaved groove to allow a very generous sprue puddle that feeds all four cavities. In my mind at least that would be the way to set up a mold to work well with very light weight small caliber boolits.

BCall
12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I cast these not long ago. The ones on the left are from a Ranchdog 2 cavity Lee mold and the ones on the right are from a 2 cavity RCBS. The RCBS mold is a standard 2 cavity block. I don't have any trouble keeping them hot, and to the contrary, I think the bigger block lose heat less quickly than smaller ones. I have a couple of Lyman 22 caliber 4 cavity molds and once up to temp they cast extremely well without having to do anything special. To the contrary of most people it seems, I have a tougher time keeping the molds cool enough. Not so much with the smaller boolits, but with bigger boolits, 45 caliber in particular, I can't seem to keep them from overheating.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851213.jpg

armed_partisan
12-19-2010, 02:26 PM
That Ranch dog looks very similar to what I would want mine to be like, but I'd want a conventional lube groove, like the RCBS has.

This may seem silly to even ask, but has anyone ever made gas checks for a .251" bullet?

deltaenterprizes
12-19-2010, 03:29 PM
This may seem silly to even ask, but has anyone ever made gas checks for a .251" bullet?

Exactly how fast do you plan to push a bullet out of a 25 ACP? Factory jacketed are only traveling at 750 fps.

Dale53
12-19-2010, 04:42 PM
BCall;
>>>I have a tougher time keeping the molds cool enough. Not so much with the smaller boolits, but with bigger boolits, 45 caliber in particular, I can't seem to keep them from overheating.<<<

After trying various methods to handle overheating moulds, a tip from Mike Venturino thoroughly solved it for me for evermore.

Just go to your local Target Store or Walmart's and shop in the fan section. What you want is a small (6" or 7" size) manicurists fan. They both offer one for under $10.00. I think I paid $7.00 for mine. My casting bench is set up between two work benches at table height as I cast sitting down. I simply clamped the fan onto one of the uprights next to the table top:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/Castingfan-3723.jpg

I simply fill the mould, move it to the left under the fan (it causes the sprue to solidify in 2-3 seconds). It also bathes the entire mould in cooler air that maintains a proper casting temperature. It is quiet so doesn't present a noise problem, either. The perfect solution to a real problem. It works for aluminum, brass, or iron moulds equally well. Thank you, Mr. Venturino!

As I dump the bullets onto the padded towel surface, I push the pile of bullets to the rear. The fan also cools them to the point that when I finish casting I seldom have to wait for the bullets to cool off before putting them in a container.

Dale53

armed_partisan
12-19-2010, 05:48 PM
It's a Wildcat I've developed called the 6.3x23 Liberty, Delta. It's loaded to 50,000 PSI, and gets 2200 fps out of a 5.5" (threaded) barrel using 35 grain Speer Gold Dots.

Echo
12-19-2010, 06:16 PM
The very idea if trying to reload those little pills gives me the heebie-jeebies. I can barely handle the 90-gr .38's I load for popcorn.

recycledelectrons
12-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Here's the RanchDog mold:

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_22&products_id=18

deltaenterprizes
12-19-2010, 09:31 PM
It's a Wildcat I've developed called the 6.3x23 Liberty, Delta. It's loaded to 50,000 PSI, and gets 2200 fps out of a 5.5" (threaded) barrel using 35 grain Speer Gold Dots.

A 9x23 necked down to 25 cal?

firefly1957
12-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Echo I echo your thought as I have enough trouble finding 45 acp cases after shooting.

camerl2009 I remember a article were they loaded #3 buckshot in 25acp cases for practice loads that worked well.