PDA

View Full Version : Concealable 45ACP

Uncle Grinch
12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
I've got several handguns that include 38, 357, 41, and 45 Colt along with a Kimber Classic 45ACP, but recently I've felt the need to carry (I've got a permit) and want something lightweight in a 45ACP. I believe a single stack 1911 will fit my needs, however I'm shocked at how much they all cost.

Surely there's something out there that is dependable and modestly priced ($500 - $600).

S.R.Custom
12-18-2010, 07:14 PM
As High-techy as some of the concealable .45s are, none really improve upon the old Star PD. Alloy framed and 1911 derived, it doesn't get any better. And neither does the price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206505941

exile
12-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't own a .45, so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but when I was at Cabela's the other day I handled a Kahr PM45. The gun felt very good in my hand and it had an excellent trigger. If I was going to buy a .45 Auto to carry, I think I would give it a try. Kind of pricey, but the Kahr CW45 is about $ 250.00 cheaper, same frame without all the bells and whistles (dove-tailed front sight, machining on slide). In addition, the less expensive gun has conventional rifleing and the more expensive one has polygonal rifleing, so the cheaper one would be cast boolit friendly.

Again, I can't say, but according to the internet gurus, the Kahr .45's can be easily modified to accept a 1911 mag (officer's model I think).

At least while in the shop I can say that the trigger on this pistol was a joy to use.

My apologies for second hand advice, but there you go.

exile

Digger
12-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Suggestion ? ... Rock Island compact , seems to be in the same size as my Springfield Ultra compact which is one of my favorites .
Try a google search for opinions .......

Blammer
12-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Kimber ultra carry 45acp.

better than a sharp stick.

frankenfab
12-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Glock 36 if you can compromise on the 1911 requirement.

Dan Cash
12-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Just buy a standard Rock River Arms 1911. You will be surprised at how well the full size gun carries and conceals.

HeavyMetal
12-18-2010, 08:36 PM
I will also vote for the Star PD or a FireStar, which is a bit heavy, for concealed carry.

Why?

Because they work, shoot well and, much more important, if you must use it your not kissing a GRAND away when the cops take it for "evidence"!

Add in the fact that if you are lucky enough to actually force them to return it to you it will be "broken" by them before hand.

A close friends Dad had to deal with an armed burgler here in El Monte in the late 70's. This guy had just broken into a home next door, fired a shot at the home owner when she startled him in the commision of the crime ( bad guy claimed a warning shot for her "safety") and was jumping over the brick wall into Pete's yard when his dad caught him.

Pete SR. was armed with a Colt 22 SAA and put a round in his left thigh!

Bad guy droped his gun, grabbed his leg, and didn't want to play anymore!

5 minutes later the cops hauled him off and took Pete SR's pistol for "evidence".

Bad guy copped a plea at his arraingment, the next morning, and Pete Sr. harrassed the PD for 8 months to get his gun back!

When it was finally returned, with a strong "verbal" suggestion to stay out of police business, they had broken the hammer off so it was inoperable.

I won't even print the tirade Pete Sr went into that day or the calls to his local political rep. Just suffice it to say the PD won no friends that day!

I learned a lesson that day as well and so I do not suggest carrying mega dollar hand guns for self defense. I have a 9mm Firestar should I feel the need to carry.

Get one that works, get one that shoots, but don't spend more than you need to to do the job your just putting money in a pile to set fire to!

ReloaderFred
12-18-2010, 09:27 PM
No matter what you decide to carry, get a GOOD holster to carry it in. The holster makes all the difference in the world. I personally carry a Springfield XD in .45 acp in a Don Hume H726 holster. I just returned from a trip and was carrying 16 hours a day, and it was like it wasn't even there. Having 14 rounds of .45 acp on your hip is quite comforting when you pull off the freeway and find that you should have gone another couple of offramps to a better neighborhood.

Hope this helps.

Fred

bhn22
12-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Glock 30, 36 or a Springfield XD Compact. Low end 1911s seem to be a hit or miss proposition. Some work great, others are miserable, usually lacking in creature comforts like comfortable grip safetys, decent sights, etc.

Uncle Grinch
12-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Just buy a standard Rock River Arms 1911. You will be surprised at how well the full size gun carries and conceals.

Thanks Dan, but I've been carrying my Kimber Classic at times and it gets very heavy after a few hours, not to mention uncomfortable while sitting in my truck.

That's kinda what got me to thinking about something more concealable.

Uncle Grinch
12-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I will also vote for the Star PD or a FireStar, which is a bit heavy, for concealed carry.

Why?

Because they work, shoot well and, much more important, if you must use it your not kissing a GRAND away when the cops take it for "evidence"!

Add in the fact that if you are lucky enough to actually force them to return it to you it will be "broken" by them before hand.

A close friends Dad had to deal with an armed burgler here in El Monte in the late 70's. This guy had just broken into a home next door, fired a shot at the home owner when she startled him in the commision of the crime ( bad guy claimed a warning shot for her "safety") and was jumping over the brick wall into Pete's yard when his dad caught him.

5 minutes later the cops hauled him off and took Pete SR's pistol for "evidence".

Bad guy copped a plea at his arraingment, the next morning, and Pete Sr. harrassed the PD for 8 months to get his gun back!

When it was finally returned, with a strong "verbal" suggestion to stay out of police business, they had broken the hammer off so it was inoperable.

I won't even print the tirade Pete Sr went into that day or the calls to his local political rep. Just suffice it to say the PD won no friends that day!

I learned a lesson that day as well and so I do not suggest carrying mega dollar hand guns for self defense. I have a 9mm Firestar should I feel the need to carry.

Get one that works, get one that shoots, but don't spend more than you need to to do the job your just putting money in a pile to set fire to!

Very good point and one to seriously consider it anything ever happens.

Uncle Grinch
12-18-2010, 10:21 PM
No matter what you decide to carry, get a GOOD holster to carry it in. The holster makes all the difference in the world. I personally carry a Springfield XD in .45 acp in a Don Hume H726 holster. I just returned from a trip and was carrying 16 hours a day, and it was like it wasn't even there. Having 14 rounds of .45 acp on your hip is quite comforting when you pull off the freeway and find that you should have gone another couple of offramps to a better neighborhood.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Fred, I actually thought about throwing the holster into the thread, but didn't want to muddy muddy things up with too many requests.

I'm glad you brought it up though. I've been carry my Kimber in a Galco CCP212H, which is an open top high ride style holster. I'll take a look at the Don Hume H726 and see how it feels.

Thanks,
Mike

jmsj
12-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Not a .45 ACP but in the summer time, 2 of my family members carry Bond derringers in .45 Colt/.410 when they need something very concealable.

arjacobson
12-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Glock 36 if you can compromise on the 1911 requirement.

Yep-Thats what I carry almost daily.Excellent pistol..

Dan Cash
12-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks Dan, but I've been carrying my Kimber Classic at times and it gets very heavy after a few hours, not to mention uncomfortable while sitting in my truck.

That's kinda what got me to thinking about something more concealable.

Get a Milt Sparks holster and a suitable belt (Milt Sparks). You might outgrow the belt but you won't wear it out and it will be comfortable. 15 years with a Sparks IWB rig in nearly daily use.

ReloaderFred
12-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Uncle Grinch,

I particularly like the Don Hume due to it being a high ride holster, but it's also a frontbreak, which means you don't have to be a contortionist to draw from it. You can also reholster one handed, which is important to me. I've got this holster for both my XD 357 Sig and my XD .45 acp. All day, all night, as the song goes, and it's still comfortable.

Here's a link: http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=49&zenid=4qi568ff3ri2rqcoms0rskt8c4

Hope this helps.

Fred

Dale53
12-19-2010, 01:37 AM
I'll confess that my daily carry is an S&W Model 642 in a pocket holster.

However, I am working with a new, possible replacement, a Kimber CDP Ultra II. It is surprisingly accurate and quite shootable. It is pleasantly compact (not pocket size) but compact and "about the prettiest little thing you ever did see":

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0210.jpg

Dale53

AlaskaMike
12-19-2010, 03:43 AM

I completely agree with this. Using a Comp-Tac inside the waistband holster with my Springfield Mil-Spec, I actually went to a dance with my wife and parents, danced several times with both my wife and mom and neither ever knew I was carrying. I wore a suit and spent most of the time without my jacket on.

Naturally, that was mainly a test to see how effective my new holster was, but it blew me away how concealable a full size 1911 can be using a quality belt and holster.

NickSS
12-19-2010, 06:04 AM
I have a Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro. This pistol weighs around 21 OZ empty and can be loaded with 11 rounds of 45 ACP. It is reasonably accurate with any 45 load I have tried in it and to date I have not had a single issue with a failure to cycle when shooting it. In a Don Hume in the pants holster it disappears and does not weigh my paints down. All this for around $400 out the door. It is my current carry gun and I love it.

clintsfolly
12-19-2010, 10:24 AM
i have and carry a full size Rock Island Armory and find it as easy to conceal as the smaller 1911,s and the best part is that there low cost and shoot good! best of luck may you carry and never need! Clint

Pepe Ray
12-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Allow me to present a slightly different technique and a very different attitude.
My first carry piece came about because of the nature of my new job. Not having many resources, I decided the Colt M1911A1 commercial was just right. I got mine very reasonably priced from a business associate.
It took me longer to arrive at a carry method that satisfied my concern for concealment and security. What is commonly called "Mexican Carry" would be my choice. Cross draw, under dress shirt with one button hole unused. The neck tie covered that FTMP. Security was achieved by replacing the wood grips with a set of Pachmayer rubber grips. In 3 years I never once lost it. Partly because I enjoyed the feeling of it snuggled on my hip. Over the years I experienced some irritation but never a bruise or blister. I knew exactly where it was every minute of every day.
I t required more cleaning than some would like but it was my answer.
Pepe Ray

Finster101
12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm with Pepe Ray. I don't carry cross draw, but I have a belt clip on my officers model and it stays quite secure even on the Harley. It is also nice and flat to be very un-noticeable. Mine is stainless so a few extra wipe downs are necessary with the Florida heat, but not a real issue. Here is the link

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/1945acbelcli.html

Catshooter
12-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Why?

Some good advice here. Do remember though that the action that is quoted took place in a communist state. It is true that in most states the cops will take you gun and be very slow in returning it, if they return it at all. There are areas in this semi-free country of ours that you'll never see it again.

While I'd hate to loose a thousand dollar gun forever, even worse in my book is to loose my life or the life of a loved one because I was afraid to loose a $1000. I'm worth more than that, and so is the current wife.

I can tell you from personal experience that the Kahr line of tiny 45s are wonderfull and shoot incredibly well. Sometimes you have to work with them. My PM 45 took about 350 rounds to become trustworthy. But it is, and it was worth it to me. It's tiny! And weighs a pound and a half, loaded.

Cat

Gee_Wizz01
12-19-2010, 04:05 PM
I also carry a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro, Stainless Steel. Mine is very accurate and is 100% reliable. At 15 yds I can put 10rds into one big hole. I also like the sights on the PT145 as they are easy to see and don't snag on clothing.

a.squibload
12-19-2010, 04:56 PM
+1 on Kahr PMs (mine's a 40, about the same size).
Carry daily in a Smartcarry with a spare magazine, no cover garment necessary.
PM40 weighs 21 oz. loaded with 6 rounds, 45 would be slightly more.

Thanks a LOT for posting that GB link, I shot a StarPD a long time ago and always wanted one.
Of course that would mean new molds, reloading dies, swage dies,...

ItZaLLgooD
12-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Springfield XD45 Compact. Lightweight plus 10-13 rnds of 45ACP. More than anything they are comfortable to hold and shoot. They also fit the $$ requirement.

deltaenterprizes
12-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Glock 30, 36 or a Springfield XD Compact. Low end 1911s seem to be a hit or miss proposition. Some work great, others are miserable, usually lacking in creature comforts like comfortable grip safetys, decent sights, etc.

My carry gun is a Glock 36, I have been carrying it for about 10 years.

Uncle Grinch
12-20-2010, 12:24 AM

However, I am working with a new, possible replacement, a Kimber CDP Ultra II. It is surprisingly accurate and quite shootable. It is pleasantly compact (not pocket size) but compact and "about the prettiest little thing you ever did see":

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0210.jpg

Dale53

Dale,

That is one NICE looking 45!! I'll bet it looks even smaller next to a fuill size Kimber. Great photo too.

scrapcan
12-20-2010, 12:50 AM
The Kahr is the bees knees, however price is not as easy on the eyes.

But the Kahr is in the price range of other sub compact 45 acp. The S&W 1911 sub compatc is $1100, the Kimber CDPII is similar price. The Kahr CW 45 is roughly $650, the PM 45 is $850.

A glock might fit the bill. G36 is a single stack so should be thin and likely in the $500 to $600 price range.

trickyasafox
12-20-2010, 01:53 AM
American Classic is coming out with a new officers sized 1911 with a 3.5 in barrel called the amigo in the first quarter next year.

I have a citadel 3.5 in officers framed 1911 which I like- It is the same gun as the RIA CS.

If you like 1911s, there are a lot of reliable compact options these days.

MtGun44
12-20-2010, 02:19 AM
Ltwt Commander conceals as well as the Officers ACP for me, so I use the Ltwt SS Commander.

Sparks VersaMax 2 is an incredibly comfortable holster.

Bill

bobthenailer
12-20-2010, 08:19 AM
in my opinion i would get a kara cw 45 !!! i have a pm9 and love it ! i have shot a pm45 and a cw 45 of a friends, i like the fullsize grip on the cw 45 better ! i also have a para p-12 with a alloy frame that i like alot but its not as consilable as the kara cw 45! and the para is heaver, the grip frame is wider to accomidate 11 rounds in a double stack mag and the bottom of the grip producers a noticable foot print on sweat shirts , shirts and light jackets.
in fact im thinking of getting a cw-45 myself ! but im keeping all other guns
in my area the CW are going for $450.00 and the P or PM are going for $630.00

Bret4207
12-20-2010, 08:23 AM
As High-techy as some of the concealable .45s are, none really improve upon the old Star PD. Alloy framed and 1911 derived, it doesn't get any better. And neither does the price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206505941

Ditto on the Star PD. Love mine, paid about $250.00.

pdawg_shooter
12-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I still carry either my Mk4 Series 70 or a Sig P220 whrn I carry.

steve in kc
12-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Another vote for the Taurus family.

I have a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro C DS in .45acp. It's a step above the PT145 or Mil Pro's you've read about on this thread without going all the way up to a full sized 1911 sized pistol.

Capacity is 12+1
It's a compact model.
No hammer to get hung up on when drawing.
Decocking mechanisim built it, the 145's don't have this.
Double action trigger allows you to carry hot without extra tension on the firing pin.

Price point now is around $325 on gun broker or bud's.

Cheaper than the XD line, smaller than the regular 1911's, more capacity than a single stack, fits all of the XD accessories....any questions?

2wheelDuke
12-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm currently carrying a Taurus 5 shot .38 as my carry gun, but I did pick up a Glock 30 to be my new carry piece.

The .38's never fired a shot in anger, but having a .45 instead with twice as many rounds is tough to beat. I'm liking the Glock's trigger pull over the DA pull on the revolver anyway.

I have to blame my girlfriend a bit, because she got a Glock 36. A co-worker of mine had that Glock as his carry gun, but then he got a compact 1911, and his wife said he couldn't keep both.

Some other co-workers swear by the Khar for off-duty. The sub-compact Glocks are popular too, in various calibers, including one guy that packs a 10mm baby Glock off-duty. That 10mm Glock is also his backup piece when he's hunting.

A couple others are carrying the Taurus Millenium in .45, as others have mentioned in this thread. They've all had pretty good luck with the Taurus.

There's a few good options in compact .45's for carry, but you'll have to handle them to decide which one's best for you.

Ranch Dog
12-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Another vote for the Glock 36. Very light and slick pistole'.

deepwater
12-20-2010, 02:29 PM
I have owned or own: Firestar, big Glock, small Glock, Colt Defender, Colt Officer Model, tricked out Colt Gov't Model 70, Kimber (Commander size), and the Kahr P45.

Without a doubt the Kahr is the most comfortable to carry and the easiest to shoot because of the DAO.I like the machinery of the traditional pistols and although I have been shooting them for 20 years, feel the most secure with the simplicity of the Kahr in a stressful situation. The Kahr P45 is the thinnest and lightest, yet has a full size grip. The other trimmed down single actions and Glock have compromised grips. All of the aforementioned firearms, except the Defender, are reliable once broken in. Because of the compact recoil spring, the Defender needed reduced loads.

I am a big guy and can conceal all of the above. However, I am least self-conscious of carry with the Kahr.

This is definitely a personal choice and all of the responses are worth consideration.

Fred

fishnbob
12-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 in 9mm in a waist band holster in the small of my back. It weighs down my pants, uncomfortable to sit down with but has 10 rounds and I figure if I use it I will lose it and I'm only out 300 bucks. If they tried to take my Kimber, somebody would get hurt. I would like to have the advantage of a .45 but can't stand the thought of losing it.

jwp475
12-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Dale53

I have that very same Kimber, but my CCW pistol is a full sized 1911 in an IWB Mitch Rosen holster

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2010, 08:13 AM
my two favorite carry guns are a plain jane kimber carry (commander) and a cdp pro carry kimber with a commander lenght barrel and an officers grip frame. Both are alloy and light and both are very reliable and accurate. Id bet my life on either of them. For a carry 1911 i want something a bit light so it has to be an alloy gun. Barrrel lenght doesnt matter much as even a 5 inch gun in an iwb holster isnt hard to conseal. What shows most is the grip frame. IVe had 2 3inch kimbers and thought they gave up to much shootability compared to the little it helps in consealability. Also alot of guys have problems with reliablility with 3 inch guns. Mine both ran fine but they were a bit more sensitive to what load would run them. If i was going to carry a 3 inch 1911 and depend on it for my life or my familys it would be loaded with good full powered ball ammo.

35remington
12-21-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd strongly advise staying away from the 3 and 3.5 inch 1911.45's. Once you understand how 1911's work, you realize the latitude for reliable function is down to pretty much zero when they are greatly shortened. The redundancy needed is simply not there; I can explain in detail if needed.

These too short 1911's simply do not allow the proper timing and distance for the round to feed, and they'll puke on you just when you need them the most.

Those that carry super short 1911's are also known as "gamblers." Their life is the stakes, and a short 1911 is not a good thing to bet on.

BD
12-22-2010, 12:02 AM
IMHO what makes a good carry gun is dependent on three things:
1. What you need to be able to do, and keep it concealed.
2. What you can hit the target with, every time.
3. What you can conceal well, (how you are built).

I carried a 5" 1911 for a few years in a variety of holsters. My problem was that I don't have enough a** to sit down with a 5" barrel in my waist band. The barrel pushes the gun up from under my belt when I'm seated, then when I stand up it is out of position in the holster and I need to adjust it or it will show. If I had ever needed to jump up quick and move, my draw would have been iffy.

So I bought a 3" 1911. This solved the issue of the gun pushing up while seated, but it was harder for me to conceal as there wasn't enough barrel below my belt to keep the grip in tight to my hip. The more I moved around, the more often the pistol would work into a grip out orientaiton which printed through my sweatshirt.

The 1911 solution for me was a Pro Carry. Short enough to not push up when seated, but still having enough barrel below my belt to keep the grip in tight to my side. I bobtailed it and it carries very well all day long and stays hidden under any cover garment. But, I still need that cover garment.

Having said all that, in the south where I'm currently living, a J-frame smith is a better all around solution as there are just too many situations in my daily work where I'd have a tough time keeping any of the 1911s "under wraps".

BD