PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Dot

GSaltzman
12-18-2010, 04:16 PM
As far as the models go, which is the better to go with on a heavier recoiling handgun such as a .44 mag or heavy .45 colt loads. Thanks.

dk17hmr
12-18-2010, 10:19 PM
I have the Ultra Dot 30 on my 45lc contender and really like it. Lots of guys on the forum are using this model on some serious recoiling handguns like 475's and 500's.

doghawg
12-18-2010, 11:51 PM
I've got 4 of the 30 MM Ultra Dots mounted on .454, .475 and .500. While I'm impressed with the Ultra Dot I can't say the same for the rings they supply with the sight. Maybe they're ok but I use Warne rings on my guns.

white eagle
12-19-2010, 12:43 AM
I use the same on my lowly 44 mag
no probs with their rings
no hick ups with the u d

outdoorfan
12-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Are the optics on these things coated to the point that they enhance light transmission? Just wondering.

98Redline
12-19-2010, 09:42 AM
The optics in any red dot sight will have some light diminishing properties due to the fact that they must use a semi silvered lens to reflect the red dot back to the shooters objective lens. This results in a very slight blueish tint when looking through the lens.

That being said, the optics are not as bright as say a scope lens but they are more than bright enough for work at pistol ranges, even at dusk. They are also much better than many of the other less expensive red dots. You may get better optics in something like an Aimpoint sight, but you will also pay 3X as much.

bobthenailer
12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
i would go with the 30mm tube ! they have a bigger field of view and stick with the single dot size ! [ not the 4 different dot size model ] something else to go wrong and they do not allways track true when changing dot size when shooting beyond 25+ yards.

45r
12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
The 30 is good but I like my Aimpoint better.It has a better field of veiw,the ultra dot seems to have smaller glass.The rings aren't much either.

Whitworth
12-20-2010, 04:45 PM
My Ultradot 30 has been to hell and back and it never quits. They weigh just over 4-oz and that helps in their ability to withstand recoil. I don't think there's a tougher unit available.

98Redline
12-20-2010, 04:48 PM
i would go with the 30mm tube ! they have a bigger field of view and stick with the single dot size ! [ not the 4 different dot size model ] something else to go wrong and they do not allways track true when changing dot size when shooting beyond 25+ yards.

I agree with the 30mm tube, however I have not seen any detrimental effects due to shifting the dot size on my UltraDot.

I believe that UltraDot sets the dot size by putting a mask in front of the LED to make it smaller. If I sight in using the smallest dot, as I go to larger dots for closer work, the increased MOA size of the dot covers up any difference that you "may" see due to the shifting dot size.

As for rings, I didn't even bother to use the UltraDot rings. I went right to a Weigand Combat mount and ring setup. Nothing has moved yet on my SBHBH.

bobthenailer
12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
i have 10 different red dot sights from 4 different manufactures that have variable dot size and they all dont track compleatly accurate beyond 25 yards ! ive tested from the bench and with a colimator.
usually not enough to hit a larger target but a small target you could miss ?
and this is not counting the other 15 other red dot sights i have with one dot size! ive been useing them almost since they came out and they are on most of my handguns and some rifles. at 62 i need all the help i can get !

Frank
12-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Whitworth:
My Ultradot 30 has been to hell and back and it never quits. They weigh just over 4-oz and that helps in their ability to withstand recoil. I don't think there's a tougher unit available.

My Ultradot 30 has never failed and neither has the smaller Ultradot. The MatchDot and Pan-V had a few issues after many rounds, but the company took care of it. I wouldn't hesitate, not for a second, to use any UltraDot on a big bore handgun. I have Leupolds on both the .475 and 45-70 BFR's now, for target work, but the Matchdot is close by, sitting in QR rings and ready to go when it gets the nod. Pan-V too is sighted in and ready to go.

Whitworth
12-22-2010, 10:24 AM
i have 10 different red dot sights from 4 different manufactures that have variable dot size and they all dont track compleatly accurate beyond 25 yards ! ive tested from the bench and with a colimator.
and this is not counting the other 15 other red dot sights i have with one dot size! ive been useing them almost since they came out and they are on most of my handguns and some rifles. at 62 i need all the help i can get !

I haven't had any trouble hitting small (beer cans) targets at 100 yards with my Ultradot. What red dots are you having trouble with?

Frank
12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
bobthenailer:
have 10 different red dot sights from 4 different manufactures that have variable dot size and they all dont track compleatly accurate beyond 25 yards ! ive tested from the bench and with a colimator.
Bob, I checked my Matchdot and Pan-V sights with a collimator and they track perfectly, dot to dot, pattern to pattern.

jblee10
01-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I have the Ultradot 30 mounted on a Redhawk with a Weigand mount. I also have a Aimpoint Micro R1 mounted on a S&W 686. The Ultradot has a round dot where the Micro is a little mishaped at handgun length. If you hold the Micro closer the dot looks better. I find it is faster to locate the dot in the longer tube of the Ultradot. You would think the short tube would be faster but I don't find it so. I'm sure the Aimpoint has better battery life but how important is that to you. I think that might be important on a defense arm but for target and hunting I don't think it's that big of a deal. I thought I would prefer the smaller dot of the Micro but it really doesn't make much difference. You can shoot groups that are smaller then the 4 MOA dot on the Ultradot if you are capable. I like both of the sights but wish I had bought 3 Ultradot 30's for the money I spent on the Aimpoint Micro. Overall, they both work great and I'm not sending either one back. I plan on buying more Ultradots but probably will not buy another Aimpoint Micro. Maybe someday an Aimpoint Comp C3 for an AR15.