PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Beaumont 71/88

Gee_Wizz01
12-18-2010, 02:29 PM
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me he had a nice Beaumont rifle he was selling for a friend and wanted to know if I was interested. I told him I was if it was in good condition. Yesterday I bought it! It is in very good condition and has all matching numbers. Yesterday when I looked at the bore, it appeared to be in good shootable condition with strong rifling and a lot of small pitting. Today I started cleaning the barrel and got a nice surprise. What appeared to be pitting was dried up oil and dirt in the barrel! After a good soak with Ed's Red and some brushing, all of the gunk and "pits" came out! The rifling is very sharp and bore is shiny, and it doesn't look like it was ever fired, or at least was only fired a little. The rifle is a 71/88 Beaumont-Vitali with a barrel date of 1882, the stock has the crown stamped Delft 1884, and butt plate is stamped 1891. The stock has the original finish with numerous cartouches stamps. There minor dents and dings in the stock and it has no cracks. Hopefully this will be a good shooter, when I can afford the dies and some 50-90 brass!

G

perotter
12-18-2010, 04:41 PM
I use 45/70 brass. Bought some tubing a the hobby store that's OD was about the same as the Beaumont & it's ID about the od of the 45/70. Cut a lengths of about 1/2 in & slide them over the 45/70 case. Then fire formed them. For loading, I just use 45/70 dies & neck size only.

Cost was about $1.50.