PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here install choke tubes?

cheese1566
12-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Anybody here on the forum install shotgun choke tubes?

I have a project with a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge. I have a 28" barrel and will cut it down to the legal limit of at least 18". It is vent rib and would like the possibility of using my AccuChoke tubes in it (this will be a second barrel for the gun).

I see Brownells sells Manson reamers and taps, but this out of my realm at the moment. Gunsmiths an hour away from me can do it, but the costs...

KCSO
12-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Well after you spend the big bucks for the tooling you have to charge for the work. Reamers don't last forever and taps wear out. I just bought tooling to do this and have $3000 in it. If you can get it done local for $125 with one choke that's about the right price.

missionary5155
12-20-2010, 05:13 AM
Good morning
About 24 years ago we visited Iquitos (on the Amazon) and met a bush pilot who started Bible churches with a unique problem. There was a 8 meter crocodile eating a villages pigs and children. Regular 12 guage Foster type slugs were bouncing off the neck armor at less than 6 feet. I mentioned Round Ball to him and decided I needed to help find a solution. Easy fix for us down here was to dump the shot on a standard 12 guage round and add a .685 RB cast from wheel weight.
When we returned to the U. S. in 1989 I began Looking into what the effects were on chokes shooting RB and what constriction worked best. So I obtained an adjustable reamer from a well stocked electric motor shop and went to work mainly with doubles (Fox B model barrels). When I reached my findings with chokes I then decided all these double barrels reamed to .005 constriction down to .003 constriction were rather redundant I decided screw in chokes was a good solution . Brownells was my source for Thin Wall screw in chokes reamer and threaders. That was 20 years ago. Since I have succesfully put screw in chokes in 3 sets of Fox B barrels and numerous single barrelled pumps. Brownells "Kit" came with very easy to understand instuctions. I decided Brownells knew more than I did and I am still happy with my results.
Bore alignment is crittical. Just for fun stick a 3 foot full bore wood dowel in a shotgun barrel about a foot. Now bend that dowel out of line just 1/4 inch. Mutiply that deflection 40 yards. Bore alignment IS very important.
But all this reaming and threading is not impossible. A lathe would aid alot. A bore alignment jig would also. But following instructions and using a bore alignment extension will also give very good results.

flounderman
12-20-2010, 08:46 AM
years ago I had a high standard with an adjustable choke and side vents. when the plastic wads came along, they were opening in the vent chamber and breaking the ribs out. eventually so many ribs were missing I sawed the choke off. I bought a used poly choke and a cutts compensator mounting ring. I didn't have any cutts tubes so I silversoldered the the adjustable polychoke on. the used choke cost was minimal, the silver solder and flux from brownell was maybe 30.00, but it worked. if you look in shotgun news you will find people that will install chokes. at 100 dollars, you can buy another mossberg barrel like you want. look up used shotgun barrels on the web. one thing about mossberg, the barrels are cheaper. you could probably trade your barrel in on one like you want and keep the price lower yet.

Antietamgw
12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
You might give Mike Orlen a try. He's a 'smith and moderator on the Shotgunworld Forum, link is below. A friend used him and was happy. I have a couple barrels to send off for tube installation and they will go to him. I can't justify the cost of the tooling for what little use I can give it and don't want to take in shotgun work. His prices are inexpensive.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36237

jaguarxk120
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
+1 on Mike Orlen

NVScouter
01-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Why not just get a new barrel the way you want it for like $75-100?

hornsurgeon
03-07-2011, 11:19 PM
orlen has a great reputation with cutting a threading for chokes. and a very good price to boot.

whd45
08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
+1 on Mike Orlen he has done two barrels for me.