PDA

View Full Version : Handi-Rifle strength

Marlin Junky
10-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Am I correct in assuming a 45-70 Handi-Rifle will handle as much pressure as a new Marlin 1895? After all, the .500 S&W is not a low pressure cartridge.

MJ

windwalker
10-20-2006, 07:15 AM
yes they are rated the same as the marlin .i shoot marlin loads in my buff classic .
bernie

9.3X62AL
10-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Interesting. I always considered the Handi-Rifles in the context of "Topper" shotguns, I guess I need to re-calibrate my thinking a bit.

Bubba w/a 45/70
10-20-2006, 10:11 AM
the rifle actions are chambered for 25-06, so that should let you know just how much battering you would like to take with the 45/70.[smilie=1:

I do know of one person who had an H&R in 25/06 and he managed to stretch the pin twice by loading the cartridge HOT, so they will take some abuse. Just don't make it a normal practice. And no, he isn't the kind of guy who learns from a mistake once.....:roll:

Old Ironsights
10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Interesting. I always considered the Handi-Rifles in the context of "Topper" shotguns, I guess I need to re-calibrate my thinking a bit.

They are quite probably the most useful and affordable single-shot rifles on the market.

Their 3-barrel kits are excellent deals. http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Combos/barrel3.aspx

Shotgun, Centerfire, Rimfire for less than $350 http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=94447. Add a ML barrel for another season of fun. What's not to love?

jballs918
10-20-2006, 11:33 AM
not to long if i recall there was a post about these. saying that alot of poeple had alot of problems with these rifles. have they turned around since then. i love the 223 combo that would be great for my kids. im doing a ton of 223 and to have one that does 17 and 22 would be the greatest. anyone else want to chime in on this

OBXPilgrim
10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Things are a little differnt with H&R/NEF nowadays.

They basically have two actions SB1 & SB2 (four if you count the shorter BP/ML gun and the dedicated .22/.17 RF actions). Anyhow SB1 actions are basically the Shotgun action & SB2 are hardened a little better for high power rifle use.

H&R/NEF won't fit rifle barrels to the SB1 or older actions.

I got a .22 hornet, sent it in for a .357 mag, 7.62x39, and 50cal ML barrels for it. Soon as recovery time is over for the neck surgery I've had, I get some loads developed for them. Shot the 7.62x39 some - misfires on cheap Russian stuff, my handloads did pretty good. 150 gr SP j-words, soft on the shoulder. My 13 year old loved to bang away with them

versifier
10-20-2006, 12:26 PM
I would still buy a Contender or an Encore. They do cost more, but they are of much higher quality, a lot more versatile in that you have many more choices of chambering with all the custom shops that do them, and with much better triggers. Not withstanding all those who love their H&R/NEF's, you do get what you pay for. I have seen more than a few problems with Handi-Rifles, though to be fair their reputation for accuracy is well earned. I would still prefer T/C's, all things considered.

Marlin Junky
10-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Of the two (T-C vs. H-R) which one has the stronger lock-up? I've heard something about H-R lock-up wearing to the point the rifle will open on firing.

The 45-70 is larger in diameter at the head and tapered more than a 25-06, so all else equal, wouldn't the 45-70 produce more bolt thrust than the 25-06 at the same breech pressure?

MJ

MtJerry
10-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Of the two (T-C vs. H-R) which one has the stronger lock-up? I've heard something about H-R lock-up wearing to the point the rifle will open on firing.

MJ

This is not a wear issue, it is a cleaning issue. The action needs to be taken apart when purchased (taking the stocks off is all it takes) and then cleaning them with brake cleaner to remove any tooling/manufacturing junk (ie-metal shavings) that cause the latch mechanism to not engage properly.

Sometimes, people let them go without a cleaning for so long that there is a buildup of crud that causes the same problem.

One rare occastions, the barrel is not fitted correctly and the gun needs to be sent back for a quick trip to H&R for corrections. It's a free fix.

I feel that both the TC and Handi Rifle are equally as strong in terms of action strength, however, it's a personal choice. If you want fit, finish and "pretty" then the TC is for you. If you want simplicity, and a rifle you don't cringe over if you ding something, then the Handi Rifle is for you.

Old Ironsights
10-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I also don't care for the TC Pistol Grip. I much prefer the straight stock of the H&R.

As for the rest? Well, since Marlin is now responsible for H&R I sincerely doubt that the new guns have any of the issues of the old guns.

borderman
10-20-2006, 04:04 PM
I bought a Hornet to try to entice my wife to shoot with me - no luck, she would rather sit in the truck and knit. At any rate it works poorly with cast boolits for me. Not just the accuracy problems with a 22 caliber but the case sticks in the chamber, have to knock it out with a rod. It works beautifully with jacketed so that is all I use it for now.

NickSS
10-20-2006, 05:59 PM
I have two handy rifles one is a bull barrel 223 that I got for varmint hunting and the other is a 45-70. Both shoot very well. The 45-70 has a 22 inch barrel and the open sights are OK but I plan to install a reciever sight on it. I have shot several hundred rounds of cast bullets with both smokeless and black powder and got good accuracy with both. I plan to have a couple more barrels fit to my recievers after the new year starts. They make really fine tools for hunting. My 223 will shoot sub m.o.a groups with several hand loads that I have tried.

WBH
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
borderman.....22 Hornets are a finicky bunch. It is hard to find the right combination with jacketed bullets, no less cast. I have a NRF and shoot only jacketed in it. It has been a disappointment to me.

borderman
10-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Finicky is okay, up to a point. I knew from readings that the Hornet would be a challenge, I just couldn't tolerate the sticking case problem. There was definitely lube on the case after a few shots and I am positive that is the problem. I would love to get a few more barrels for the rifle but not if I am limited to jacketed. Maybe the small size of the case is a factor. I polished the chamber as suggested by the Greybeard folks, made sure it was dry, but a couple shots did it in. It shoots very well with the Speer 46 grain flat point, in case that hasn't been tried.

9.3X62AL
10-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Good to hear that someone got good results with the Hornet, even if the red-coated pretenders were required to get there. My sole experience in this caliber was with one of the Ruger 77/22H's, and there was no love forthcoming--at all. I still have the die set, but dunno if I'll re-try that species of masochism again.

There are some VERY attractive packages available in that Handi-Rifle line, for sure.

Bent Ramrod
10-21-2006, 01:58 PM
A friend of mine has the stainless .22 Hornet/20 Gauge 2-barrel combination. The .22H cases were chronic stickers at the beginning, but a second snap of the hammer on the spent case usually jarred it loose enough for a second opening to eject it. With more shooting, it stopped sticking with most brands of factory ammo; I think with enough use they'll all stop sticking eventually.

By the way, you definitely don't want to be looking down at that breech when the ejector does work. That little case really backs out of there.

His rifle was doing better with my load of Ideal 225415/7 gr SR-4759 than my Ruger #3, before I lapped the latter. He thinks a lot of the variability of its shooting is related to the fact you have to take the gun up, break the action, and put it down again on the sandbags. On those admittedly uncommon days when one or another of us happens to be unusually "actinic," the little gun is pretty impressive.

Marlin Junky
10-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I have given some thought to the T-C vs. the H-R and think I'm going to buy the $250.00 project gun (the H-R) rather than the $650.00 T-C. Yeah, the Encore probably has an excellent trigger but after stripping down the H-R and meticulously massaging its lock work, chances are I'll be satisfied. I have no steadfast opinions regarding the action lock up on either guns but I know from personal experience that the T-C locks up and unlocks nicely via the trigger guard latch.

One problem... I can own an H-R in either .35 Whelen or .500 S&W. Which one would be more fun?

MJ

dk17hmr
10-21-2006, 08:28 PM
I have read that the 500 S&W will knock you retarded with stout loads. Both the 500 and Whelen would be shoot load and cast for.

On the 22 hornet topic my dad has 2, both are Savages one model 23 and one mold 19. They are both pretty accurate guns, but we shoot Nosler 40gr Ballistic tips out of them. Never have tried cast in anything smaller then 25 cal.

Old Ironsights
10-21-2006, 09:08 PM
One problem... I can own an H-R in either .35 Whelen or .500 S&W. Which one would be more fun?

MJ

I wouldn't buy either at first.

I would buy a 3-barrel combo in 12ga/.30-06/.22 then get an additional barrel in a "fun" caliber.

Much more cost efficient that way.

txpete
10-22-2006, 07:41 AM
I have owned both the handi and a t/c encore.the handi was a good rifle mine was in 25/06.after doing all the things you "have" to do on a handi it shot pretty good.
the t/c right out of the box... clean the bore and go shoot 1 inch groups at the range isn't a problem.
I like the part on the t/c of not having to send the rifle back to the factory for a fit of a new barrel.
imho it is worth the extra money for the t/c

SharpsShooter
10-22-2006, 07:51 AM
I bought a Hornet to try to entice my wife to shoot with me - no luck, she would rather sit in the truck and knit. At any rate it works poorly with cast boolits for me. Not just the accuracy problems with a 22 caliber but the case sticks in the chamber, have to knock it out with a rod. It works beautifully with jacketed so that is all I use it for now.

One of my shooting friends has the Handi-rifle in the Hornet. Using 50gr plainbase boolits from BullShop and 4gr of Unique to achievce 1600+ fps, it will keep all shots in an inch at 50yds until you get bored with it. At 100yds groups run in the neighborhood of 1.75". Not exactly stellar performance at 100, but not too bad. The same guy also just bought a Buffalo Classic in 45-70. He and I went to the range this past Friday and since I shoot several different 45-70's, I took a sample of every load that I have and let him try them out to see what it likes. Basically it will eat anything, but seems to favor 457125’s with 55gr of black over the rest, with the Lee 457-450 and 65gr of black running a very close 2nd. 50-yd groups of less than an inch were common and 100yd groups of just a bit over 2” were the norm. I gave him 70 rounds of the lee 457-450 loaded on top of 65gr of cartridge grade just to get trigger time in on the gun and it shoots it well, usually with the shots cutting one another at 50yds and 1 ½” to 2” at 100yds.

That is not too bad for either rifle IMHO.

SS

Marlin Junky
10-22-2006, 03:43 PM
If I get the .35W, I'd want to mount a low power (2.5X to 3X) scope and it looks like the hammer spur may interfere with a low mounting. Would it have an effect on the rifle's functioning if I shortened the hammer spur?

MJ

bruce drake
10-22-2006, 03:50 PM
I have a set of medium rings on mine (4x power scope) but I use the supplied hammer extension and it works out fine. Check weld is still possible without craning my neck.

Bruce

Marlin Junky
10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Please allow me to rephrase my question:

I want to mount my low power scope as low as possible. How much can I grind off the hammer spur without affecting its functionality? I'll probably never shoot this thing with a gloved hand and I have average sized digits.

MJ

Maxthompson
10-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Please allow me to rephrase my question:

I want to mount my low power scope as low as possible. How much can I grind off the hammer spur without affecting its functionality? I'll probably never shoot this thing with a gloved hand and I have average sized digits.

MJ
Junky,

I just put a scope on my 45/70. I took the weaver mounted scope off my Marlin 336. With those mounts it was touch and go if the hammer would fall all the way through. I made a trip to Wally World and found a set of Weaver Quad lock rings. These rings raised the scope just enough to clear the hammer and scope. A hammer extention would help but not neccesary and the scope mounts nice and low.

Mike

OBXPilgrim
10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Marlin Junky

I looked at the .357Mag barrel I have with 2-7 power Nikon in Leupold Medium Weaver-stlye rings (our local Walmart carries them).

I don't know if cutting the hammer down will affect reliability - guess it could if it was made light enough.

As far as how much material is available to remove- it looks like no less than .250" from the end of the hammer could be removed. The factory supplied hammer extension would have to be used, no way you could get your finger (or thumb) between the scope and the hammer. You would have to thin the underside of the hammer to allow the hammer extension to go on unless you also modified the hammer entension.

Then it looks like the hammer extension would hit the barrel release latch. The arc of the hammer would interfere at the rear of the latch. The latch would have to be ground down at it's rear to clear.

With all that done I think my Nikon could be dropped 1/4" from it's present position, if I could find lower rings. It looks like to go that much, the weaver base might have to be ground down below the scope adjustment "housing".

Hope that helps.

By the way, on which rifle to get .35Wh or .500 S&W, you might want to see which is available. NEF/H&R sells out of some and it might be a while til they get back to it. Call their Customer Support if you want both barrels to find when the other barrel is available (and you'd still be below you TC purchase price).

Marlin Junky
10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Marlin Junky

I don't know if cutting the hammer down will affect reliability - guess it could if it was made light enough.

Actually, I was worried more about my thumb slipping off the spur as I cocked the hammer.

As far as how much material is available to remove- it looks like no less than .250" from the end of the hammer could be removed. The factory supplied hammer extension would have to be used, no way you could get your finger (or thumb) between the scope and the hammer. You would have to thin the underside of the hammer to allow the hammer extension to go on unless you also modified the hammer entension.

Then it looks like the hammer extension would hit the barrel release latch. The arc of the hammer would interfere at the rear of the latch. The latch would have to be ground down at it's rear to clear.

Couldn't the hammer extension be placed on the other side to avoid the barrel latch?

By the way, on which rifle to get .35Wh or .500 S&W, you might want to see which is available. NEF/H&R sells out of some and it might be a while til they get back to it. Call their Customer Support if you want both barrels to find when the other barrel is available (and you'd still be below you TC purchase price).

I've located both a .35W and a .500S&W. Thanks for the help!

MJ

redneckdan
10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
single shot rifles working loose is more from people slamming them shut then from shooting

Lugnutz
10-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Howdy all!! Where are you finding the 35 Whelen and other bbls? I looked on the website that is linked from Marlin's homepage and 22 hornet is available then it goes to 223 204 243 22-250 30-30 30-06....... Oh and up to 45-70 in the buffalo...which I need..let me restate that... which I NEED!!!!!! But not much in the 35 dept. I'd love a Whelen or even a 357 Max in a single shot.
I am working on an Encore but I'm not really siding with any Mfg. I love my 12 ga full choke NEF. Like it better than my Mossyberg.

Oh by the way there is another forum out there with a NEF H&R section. It can be found at Boartuffoutdoors.com. Think someone said Graybeards had one too...but they dont like me!!!!!!

Oh REDNECKDAN, clip clip clip clip clip...now promise me it will at least take care of 2 of the friggin feral cats I keep chasing off my porch. clip ( for good measure )

OBXPilgrim
10-24-2006, 02:05 PM
MJ - "Couldn't the hammer extension be placed on the other side to avoid the barrel latch?"

Not really, the back side of the latch is in the hammer arc. It wouldn't make any difference which side you put it on.

If you pulled your rifle apart to do a trigger job (good instructions at greybeards website) (big Handirifle following over there), you'd have the parts apart to whittle on anyhow.

I think you'd be much better off using the hammer extension instead of trying to shove your thumb or finger inbetween the hammer and scope, even using high rings. Just does feel like a place a finger needs to be.

Lugnutz - http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.aspx scroll down the page. The only .357 Max's I've heard of have been rechambers from .357 Mag.
Also, http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx is the accessory barrel page (scroll down it as well).

I saw a .500 S&W Handi Rifle at a gun show this weekend. Geez, what a hole!! Looked like I could crawl up in it to keep dry if needed. I saw a woman looking at it. I'd like to see her face the first time she dropped the hammer on it - don't get me wrong, I know some tough women shooters, but she didn't look the part.

rockrat
10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
The 500 is a pretty good thumper in the Handi. A hefty dose of lil gun is all you want. It will go to the tune of around 4000 ft-lbs.

Lugnutz
10-24-2006, 06:17 PM
OBX thank you. Now I'm gonna stay awake all night wonderin why I couldn't find that. Oh well. Found lots of neat stuff on that link you sent. Wonder if wife would understand my desire for a 10 ga single shot ?? I don't even understand that one.... 3" 12ga is a bruiser in and of itself.

But might consider the 357 Mag and have it rechambered to a special deal I'm working on....the 357 Super Mag...or SM for short. Now I'm really thinkin

OBXPilgrim
10-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Rick,

Some of the boys over at Greybeards have rechambered to 357 Max which I think is the same as 357 Super Mag - I think Dan Wesson used the "Super Mag" name and remington made the brass & stuck their name on it and changed it to "Max". Or something like that.

Some of the .357 Magnum barrels have been found to have an extra long chamber. Somebody thought of trying a .360 Dan Wesson in their after taking some measurements and finding they had room for it. Guess .360 DW falls in between .357 Mag & Max. The folks that didn't rechamber (that had long chambers) could get much more performance (than .357 Mag) and be able to seat to the lands easier.

Marlin Junky
10-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Yup,

Maximum = SuperMag and you're right, Maximum is the name Remington tagged on the round twenty three years ago. I don't remember how the littlest SuperMag was assembled before Remington brass became available but I do remember making .375SM and .445SM brass from .375 Winchester and 30-40 brass respectively. The .375SM was a good round but I think the temporary (actually, I think Dan Wesson is gone again!) disappearance of the Dan Wesson SuperMag revolvers and near extinction of .375 Winchester brass circa 1980 lead to the demise of .375SM. When Remington started making .357 Maximum brass about '83, demand for the .375SM pretty much ceased.

Anyway, getting back to the H-R, I decided to order a .35 Whelen. I think the big .35 will prove more useful than the .500, but the 45-70 is still on my list. I'm afraid the .500S&W will be a limited use type of firearm... limited to WOW! look at the holes I can put in the target followed shortly thereafter by WOW, where the heck did all my valuable bullet metal go!

MJ

NickSS
10-25-2006, 08:02 AM
I used a low mounted BSA 3 to 9 scope on my 223 handyrifle. The end bell of the scope clears the hammer but when I put the hammer spur on it hit the scope. The rifle was too hard to cock without the spur so I tried installing the spur upside down on the hammer. This worked like a champ and it is still on that rifle to this day.

Marlin Junky
10-25-2006, 01:08 PM
NickSS,

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to start with a Weaver K2.5 on the Whelen. That should provide enough magnification at 100 yards to realize the rifle's potential. I've been shooting iron sights for group so long, the 2.5X Weaver should be a treat.

MJ

Jetwrench
10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Marlin Junky,
No need to worry about your finger sliping off of the hammer, as long as you dont have the trigger pulled when you cock it. It has a transfer bar safty. Meaning that the trigger must be in the "pulled" position raiseing the transfer bar for the hammer to strike the bar and bar to strike the fireing pin. Hope this helps.JETWRENCH

223tenx
10-26-2006, 09:23 PM
The 45-70 in the NEF packs a pretty good whallop. I do not shoot Marlin loads in mine for that reason, but I'm a wimp when it comes to recoil. I have a 30-30, 44Mag and 45-70 barrel. I really like all of them. The 44Mag will shoot 1.5 moa with 2400 and 240 gr Lee swc. If you send you action back to have barrels fitted the factory will do a trigger job--FREE-- if you request it.

Lugnutz
10-27-2006, 06:08 PM
My 357 Super Mag is just a tad hotter than the Maximum. Basically its a 30 Herret necked up to 35 cal. Maybe I shoud perhaps just go with a 357 Herret but I like having things that are uncommon. My Project Encore is a 358 Winchester Improved. And I'm workign on a 41 hunting round in an Encore as well. Probably based on the 356 Winchester case. The 357 Super Mag idea is based on a shortened 30-30 case and was orginally thought up for close range deer ( ie in the thick of things ) and IMSHA. Why? Well I have been told by many that the 357 Max brass is almost to the dying stage of all things good. 30-30 brass is like pennies in a parking lot campared to the Max brass. That and I like tinkering.

Marlin Junky
11-09-2006, 07:40 PM
My 357 Super Mag is just a tad hotter than the Maximum. Basically its a 30 Herret necked up to 35 cal. Maybe I shoud perhaps just go with a 357 Herret but I like having things that are uncommon.

How is your "Super Mag" different from the .357 Herrett. SuperMag, the original handle for the Maximum, was coined by Elgin Gates circa 1970... you should probably rename your wildcat to avoid confusion.

onceabull
11-09-2006, 10:06 PM
HELP: You gents have me really confused now..Here I'm thinking all the E.Gates "Supermags" were spec'ed @ 1.610" Maximum Case length, and when the big boys wanted in they went with a slightly shorter Max. (1.605) and a new name of their own. Either is ,of course ,well short of 357 Herrett OAL spec's..When Mr.Gates was doing much of the promotion he was only a half days drive away so there came to be a lot of that stuff floating around this area,I had them all at one time or another,but only the 445 lasted til now with me. so maybeso my memory is not spot on, --How say you ???? Onceabull :confused:

Lugnutz
11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey Marlin maybe your right about re naming. It is different from the Herret in the length ( mines shorter @ 1.595" ). That and I used a 30-30 ai case so there is less taper. It's still in the developmental state. I've managed to make one dummy round and when I get around to it I'm gonna try to make a second one. If nothing else I'm havin fun!!

leftiye
12-06-2006, 03:18 AM
Excuse me, not trying to be a smart (blank), but Apples, and Oranges! 45-70s run at circa 30,000 psi. and 30-06 headsize cases generally run at 52000 psi. and in some instances more. Don't even think about juicing up your 45-70 to 50,000 psi! If it doesn't simply blow your gun up pressure wise, the brass will let go and accomplish same anyway. 45-70 cases fail at 30000 psi after maybe 3 or 4 loadings, or if not, maybe next time. Also, 30000 psi. is at the top of 45-70 pressures, not "normal" at all.
On the other hand, if an action (H&R SB2) will handle all intelligent 06 headsize loads, then it almost certainly will handle what should be considered insane pressures in the 45-70 ( the probability of case failure aside). The gun probably will take it but you might break! The 30,000 psi. pressure loads in an 1895 make you want to switch to another sport, maybe watching TV.
The SB2s all seem to come with a real caveman type of trigger pull. I couldn't shoot that straight to save me. First priority was a trigger job. Now it's kinda nice.

Four Fingers of Death
12-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Hot loads are generally ok at the range, but start shooting in hot, crappy conditions and you are asking for trouble. If it ain't going fast enough or lobbing a heavy bullet, upgrade and get a more powerful gun, I've always said.

35remington
12-06-2006, 09:35 AM
leftiye, the 45-70 is run up to 42,000 psi using loads available from Buffalo Bore, and several loading manuals routinely run listed pressures at this level for the Marlin lever action. Loads generating 30,000 psi produce long case life in the .45-70.

The loads listed for the Ruger #1 single shot produced nearly 50,000 psi. The .45-70 cases held up fine. No problem arise running the .45-70 at 40,000 in the Handi Rifle, except for sore shoulders from all the recoil!

felix
12-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Case expansion must always be checked. Chambers are likely to be too large to handle the load/brass-lot combo. If little or no brass stretch, the load can be increased assuming a "strong" action. I have never seen, for example, a 45LC gun handle anything more than about 30K cup as absolute max. ... felix

45 2.1
12-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Case expansion must always be checked. Chambers are likely to be too large to handle the load/brass-lot combo. If little or no brass stretch, the load can be increased assuming a "strong" action. I have never seen, for example, a 45LC gun handle anything more than about 30K cup as absolute max. ... felix

Felix-
As a point of interest regarding strength of 45 Colt brass, have you tried that with a low wall rifle or in a closely chambered high end revolver? Dick Casual (sp) loaded triplex loads in 45 Colt brass developing the 454 with no brass failure that I remember reading about. This does assume a tight case/chamber relationship though. I have sectioned both 45 Colt and 44 mag cases and there is very little difference in head and case wall dimensions. My low wall will take just about anything that is sane with good case life. Most of the common 45 Colt revolvers and rifles have sloppy chambers though.

felix
12-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes, Bob, it is chamber size almost exclusively here, when considering modern brass. I've shot some Casull cases in the sloppy chambers and these cases actually just about gave out as evidenced by showing visible splits (but not entirely through) at the head-body junction. The unfired Casull cases are actually smaller in diameter, and perhaps harder in composition/anneal, and these problems contribute to the oversized chamber problem. It is a chamber problem, pure and simple, and not the brass brand per se. ... felix

leftiye
12-06-2006, 02:20 PM
35rem. Thanks for the info, I was using data from a long way back, when the 1895 Marlin first came out, a gun writer had said that the case life was poor at those pressures. It being a lever action, I had no idea that 40,000 was viable! BUT get someone else to shoot it! I am in the process of building a 45-100 on the NEF action, God help me!

leftiye
12-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Felix & 45 2.1 Thanks, for the knowledge on the .45 Colt. It is one of my long term favorites, and I do like to hot load it. I leave the really hot stuff for the .454 now that I've got one. I'm in the process of reaming out a .44 mag cylinder to be a minimum chamber .45 colt. The attempt is to make an accurate gun with good power. It is good to know that the brass can take it if not stretched too far.

lovedogs
12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
A call to H&R will inform you of the different strengths of their actions; shotgun, Hornet & .45-70, and high-intensity. They will hold up really well with proper care and sensible loading. I know of one .45-70 that has been in constant use in competition for over 20 yrs. and is still tight and working properly.

I love my old Contenders but to say the new G2 & Encore is of better quality and have better triggers than the H&R is just not true. They are fine guns but both the G2 & Encore have their share of problems, only one of which is lousy triggers that take major attention by a knowledgable 'smith to correct.

Note to the Deputy... the Ruger Hornets are sometimes major disappointments in the accuracy dept. In many the problem can be traced to the two-piece bolt. Somewhere on the internet I read of a fix that greatly improved their accuracy. It seems the sloppiness between the front and rear sections is akin to having a bolt with uneven locking lugs. The fix, as I recall, involved machining a spacer to place between the front and rear parts to eliminate the slack, thereby tightening the lockup and enhancing accuracy. Easier to just buy a well-made rifle, I think. The Hornet is actually a very accurate cartridge if the gun is built right. Just shoot a properly made T/C or Anshutz and you'll see that.

georgeld
12-31-2006, 04:26 AM
Back to the trigger and scope questions.

This summer I've bought three NEF's. First one was intended to be the .410/45 LC barrel. Reading their booklets etc neither me, nor the dealer could make out for sure the .410 plain wouldn't shoot the 45. I ended up getting this one and cant' shoot the 45 Colt in it. It does have a sweet trigger just less than 3#. Which is just perfect for me.

The other two are: HMR and 17 M2, I put a low Weaver on one of them and spur hit the scope. With the extention on, ended up grinding about a 1/16" off the extention to make it clear, that took around 1/4" of the spur off.

The other gun I had the dealer mount a BSA Sweet .17 Scope on it when I picked it up. He had to use a medium Weaver Quad ring. Which is fine with me, I can lift my head an extra 1/8". Could manage a half inch IF it was needed even.

I got the M2 about April, I just last week had another sweet 17 scope and med rings put on it. This gun also has a nice crisp 3# trigger. But, the HMR takes more pull than my 76oz scale will register by quite a bit. Am thinking about sending it in for either a swap, trigger job, and extra HMR barrel, or taking it apart and doing some trigger work to make it liveable.

Intentions are to rechamber one of the HMR barrels for the .17x28mm varmint cartridges. I have a halfasses reamer already. Just wanted to shoot the gun first before butchering it up. Health problems kept me from doing much this year. The few times I did drive out for p/dog's I shot out the window on a friends ranch. Discovering the ejection velocity of empties I opened the other window and aim for that and most empties fly out the window rather than richochetting around inside the truck cab.

Believe I'll send the .410 action in and get a 12ga rifled slug barrel before long. Have studied the barrel lists a lot and still have't decided what other caliber to get. But, will need to get another complete gun since they won't fit a rifle barrel on the shotgun action, and the other two are rimfire only.

Hope this didn't confuse you too much.

Bubba w/a 45/70
12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
George,

Just don't rechamber that one BEFORE you send it in. You will get back a factory chambered barrel.

Just a reminder.

l1waggon
11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
The great state of Mississippi has made it legal to hunt with the Handi Rifle during Primative Weapon season in any caliber above .35, and the 45-70 seems to be the best choice. There are other early reproduction rifles on the list, but none that I would want to get beat up and rained on.

jim4065
11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I have a Handi factory chambered for the 357 Maximum - no idea how common they are.

jack19512
11-28-2007, 07:05 AM
not to long if i recall there was a post about these. saying that alot of poeple had alot of problems with these rifles. have they turned around since then. i love the 223 combo that would be great for my kids. im doing a ton of 223 and to have one that does 17 and 22 would be the greatest. anyone else want to chime in on this

I had 3 of H&R/NEF rifles at one time, I only have 1 of them now. [smilie=1: