PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo! - Found a source for Lead

LET-CA
10-20-2006, 01:15 AM
I called one of the local hospitals and was referred to a "Nuclear Pharmacy" here in town. I asked if they had any lead containers. Turns out that they're buried in them. They get about 100 lbs of lead every week and some guy shows up quarterly to take it away. I was given 54 lbs tonight and was told to come back again tomorrow. Nice soft stuff and lots of it! The one employee I spoke to said they have a storage room full of these containers (two sizes - 14 and 28 lbs). I've already got a bunch of antimony and tin so I may just make up an enormous batch of alloy rather than trying to match 22 lb batches in my RCBS furnace.

Jack Stanley
10-20-2006, 10:23 PM
All the more reason to make a pot that can handle five hundred pound batches [smilie=1: :-D Congrats on finding the new lead mine .

Jack

LET-CA
10-21-2006, 02:16 AM
I spoke with the office manager today. Turns out they get just over 21,000 lbs per year at this office and he's looking for someone locally to take it off their hands. They've been selling it to a scrap dealer who comes up several times a year but it's not often enough. I just need to decide if I can handle that quantity. Price to me would be between 15 and 20 cents per pound. I'm not sure if I could sell it for enough to make it worth my while. (That's a whole lot of lead!)

trooperdan
10-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Heck yes! Contract for it all and start advertising on ebay! Even if you just cover expensive plus a little you have a great source!

imashooter2
10-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Tell them that "often enough" goes for 10 cents a pound. Will the containers fit in USPS flat rate boxes without further work? If so, trooperdan's eBay business model looks quite viable.

WBH
10-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Good clean pure lead at 10 cents is a bargain. Probably even so at 15 cents. I am paying 5 cents a pound for pure lead here, but it sometimes has roof tar on it. I would gladly pay up for clean lead. But I have not found a local source for it. I pick up about 200# every month. It's local with no freight cost.

Poohgyrr
10-21-2006, 11:12 AM
LET,

You have a PM, one way or another, I'm interested in this if possible....