PDA

View Full Version : Smelting question

Thumbcocker
12-18-2010, 09:59 AM
When rendering ww that may have some zink ones in them do you fill your rendering pot full of weights and then heat or slowly add a few weights to the metal in the pot? I can see advantages to both ways, but I want to be able to fish out teh zink before they melt.

Thanks.

old turtle
12-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I use a pair of pliers as was suggested somewhere on this site. Use the intermost notch of the pliers, not the jaws grip area. If the ww dents it is lead. If not it well may be zinc. Also most zinc ones have a Zn mark but not all. Also for the same marked weight they appear bigger. Some lead ones are painted so the pliers test helps. This takes time but I feel it is worth it. I try not to get any zinc in my pot as if the temp. gets a little too hot you can melt in the zinc and ruin a pot of ww's or alloy which I did about 20 years ago.

44fanatic
12-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I will sort out the obvious zinc and steel WWs before smelting. Those in question get the plier check but there are always a few zinc ones that sneak by.

When I smelt, I use a thermometer and try to keep it around 650 and have pulled out many floaters (steel and zinc). In my 12qt dutch oven, I fill it about 1/2 with WW, keeping an eye on the temp. Skim the clips and floaters. Once the pot has molten lead in it, I will add about a 2" layer of WWs and repeat the skimming once the additional layer has melted.

I have found that by adding a layer of WWs, they melt faster, its easier to skim the clips and any zinc WW's are not in there long enough to melt (if my pot gets to hot). Key thing is keeping an eye on things.

fredj338
12-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I will sort out the obvious zinc and steel WWs before smelting. Those in question get the plier check but there are always a few zinc ones that sneak by.

When I smelt, I use a thermometer and try to keep it around 650 and have pulled out many floaters (steel and zinc). In my 12qt dutch oven, I fill it about 1/2 with WW, keeping an eye on the temp. Skim the clips and floaters. Once the pot has molten lead in it, I will add about a 2" layer of WWs and repeat the skimming once the additional layer has melted.

I have found that by adding a layer of WWs, they melt faster, its easier to skim the clips and any zinc WW's are not in there long enough to melt (if my pot gets to hot). Key thing is keeping an eye on things.
This is how I smelt. I sort obvious first, get all the junk out, but sometimes a zn will sneek in. Keep the smelt below 700deg & they will float out w/ the clips.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-18-2010, 10:39 PM
The first time I smelted WW, I got the flame way too hot, way too fast. It is hard to tell how hot the bottom of the mix was. I did have problems with that mix when I cast boolits also. After that, I used a lower flame when smelting and took my time. I sslloowwllyy let the ww melt and then skimmed off the clips after fluxing with saw dust. I am really cautious about adding WW to the already melted mix. (I don't do it). Be careful. 700 degrees is very hot and I have to remember to be very careful. It is fun!

WHITETAIL
12-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I concer.
Try to get all of the zinc and steel out first.
Then keep the pot about 700 deg.
The zinc and steel will not melt.
Skim the junk out.
Then flux with saw dust and scrap the pot good.
:cbpour:

Matt_G
12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
What 44fanatic and Fredj338 said.
Remember that clip on WW's will melt at roughly 560 F.
The melting point of zinc is 787 F.

I use a thermometer and don't let the melt get above 620 F or so.
If I'm melting plumbing pipe or other soft stuff, that takes more heat and therefore a closer eye on things.

a.squibload
12-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Good advice above.

You can also tap the end of a suspect WW on the concrete floor, workbench, etc.
Lead clunks, zinc clinks.
After a while you will be able to pick out the steel and zinc by the way they look.
Try sidecutters/wire cutters for the dent test.
I keep a magnet close for sorting to test the steel ones, no big deal to get steel in the pot
but why heat it if you're not gonna use it?

Markbo
12-25-2010, 02:39 PM
As I just responded on another thread, my first couple buckets of wheel weights I took a set of dykes and tried to cut every weight. The lead ones clipped easily, the zinc ones were hard... very hard. I found it about 101% easier to just throw the whole lot into the pot and fish out the floating zinc weights. Kept to normal lead melting temperature, I see no chance the zinc will melt into the liquid since it's melting point is 787°F and lead is 621°F - about of course.

canyon-ghost
12-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Be especially critical of the ones that have a tan epoxy paint on them. If they are flat and tan, they are likely to be the new zinc ones. I've thrown out about any weight I don't think is lead. If I mistake a lead one for being zinc, so be it. They are hard, really hard.

DeadHandRed
12-26-2010, 06:40 PM
i like to sort before melting. although i can see that some of you lucky buggers that are dealing with hundred pound hauls :wink: may find this method a bit boring. As my stash is currently at 138lbs im still savouring each and every weight i find. but i also put the zinc ones aside as i cast them into sinkers when i get enough.

DeadHandRed
12-26-2010, 06:42 PM
also... i like to seperate the clip-ons and the stick-ons due to different hardeness.. so again a reason for me to sort first.

Matt_G
12-26-2010, 07:14 PM
also... i like to seperate the clip-ons and the stick-ons due to different hardeness.. so again a reason for me to sort first.
I separate the stick-ons as well and do them as a separate batch.
Just get a half a bucket and rest it on my thigh as I'm sitting with another empty bucket between my feet. Pretty easy to half scoop 'em out from one to the other and sort them in the process. I get rid of the trash this way as well and don't risk my fingers on the inevitable razor blade(s).
Someone at this one tire store uses a LOT of razor blades and they throw them in the WW buckets. :veryconfu