PDA

View Full Version : Molten Maniacs in the Great Mitten

Leadmelter
12-17-2010, 09:04 PM
I have been reading a bunch of posts and there appears more bullet casters in Michigan than I ever met. I guess we are a solitary bunch.

Gerry

garandsrus
12-17-2010, 09:36 PM
I am in Warren and know 4 or 5 guys that cast. I got two of them started :)

John

leadman
12-17-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm in Arizona now (since 81) but started casting in about 1974 in Cutlerville, south of Grand Rapids.

Skipper488
12-17-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm in Tennessee but I grew up in Adrian Michigan.

wiley
12-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Southwest Michigan checking in!

ktw
12-17-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm in Baraga County in the Western UP. The only other casters that I know up here are people I met through this website.

As an aside for leadman, I was born and raised in Cutlerville. My parents still live there.

-ktw

BBA
12-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Just outside of Port Huron.

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Munising in the UP

redneckdan
12-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Born and raised in Port Huron. Been living in Houghton (not houghton lake damn it!!!) for the last 6 years.

Tazman1602
12-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Emmet County at the tip 'o the mitt! About 30 miles south of the Bridge!

Art

winelover
12-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Surrounded by Detroit, in a quaint ethnic community. Can you guess?

Winelover

frkelly74
12-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Deep in the heart of the Great Allegan Forest by the banks of the Mighty Kalamazoo. There is a free shooting range near me with benches and trash cans. Don't take my brass that people leave for me to find.

BigboreShooter
12-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Middle of the mitten.

BigBoreShooter

stainless1911
12-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Im in Davisburg, near Clarkston in northern Oakland County. I shoot in Lapeer, at a place called the pit, if anybodys ever heard of that place, maybe we could meet up sometime and shoot the sh!+ sometime.

BTW, There has been a lot of talk about people closing down the pit simply because the people that use it, keep leaving their messes. If this is you, knock it off or go somewhere else! Its the only place around that allows free shooting, its an hour drive for me, and many that I have spoken with drive much farther than that.

Heavy lead
12-18-2010, 02:19 PM
5 miles north of Paw Paw, 20 miles east of Lake Michigan. Two counties north of Hoosierland.

felix
12-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Do any of you good MI folks live in/around Cherry country? Specifically, a canning operation? Reason: need several cases of nbr 7 can size (15 oz), water packed. Prices around here are off the scale, anywhere from 2.50 on up per can. Insanity, even for the best tasting fruit to me. I typically eat a can in one sitting. ... felix

cmkiefer
12-18-2010, 02:44 PM
In da Western U.P. on the shore of Lake Superior, Ontonagon, MI. Born and raised as a troll in Union, MI. 3 miles N. of the Indiana border. Been here 10 years, casting for the past 3.

ktw
12-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Do any of you good MI folks live in/around Cherry country? Specifically, a canning operation?

Cherry country is the northwestern portion of the lower peninsula along the Lake Michigan coast; the pinky finger from knuckle to fingernail in the "mitten" analogy used in the thread title.

No one has reported in so far from that part of the state. Of the people who have, Tazman1602 is the closest.

cmkeifer. Glad to see another Yooper here. What do people do for a living in Ontonagon now that the Smurfit- Stone mill is shut down? It's kind of mind boggling to me how people hang on up there in your neck of the woods after the loss of Lakeshore Mfg, the White Pine Mine and now Smurfit-Stone, the new highway bypass and the ongoing fight over closure of the rail line...

-ktw

cmkiefer
12-18-2010, 04:13 PM
cmkiefer. Glad to see another Yooper here. What do people do for a living in Ontonagon now that the Smurfit- Stone mill is shut down? It's kind of mind boggling to me how people hang on up there in your neck of the woods after the loss of Lakeshore Mfg, the White Pine Mine and now Smurfit-Stone, the new highway bypass and the ongoing fight over closure of the rail line...

-ktw

What do we do for a living? Well, I'm a mechanic and I deliver heating oil in the winter. Most everybody else is milking the extended unemployment benefits for all they're worth or they're retired or they're on welfare. Still guys working in the woods too, though I don't know how they hang on.

I guess we'll see who's left after unemployment runs out. Pretty gloomy prospects though. Looks like some interested buyers for the mill and possibly the Lakeshore building as well. Not holding my breath.

I think they stay due to the nature of our environment and most of them grew up here.

wiley
12-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Winelover -

That must be Hamtramck?

Jailer
12-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Middle of the mitten.

BigBoreShooter

St. Louis?

Born and raised in Ithaca, also in the middle of the mitten.

I'm new to casting and none of my friends cast so most of them look at me like I'm some sort of weirdo. Then again maybe the casting has nothing to so with that.........

winelover
12-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Winelover -

That must be Hamtramck?

Give that man a cigar!

Winelover

chuckbuster
12-18-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm in Jackson County

ethang
12-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Not casting yet but learning everything I can first. Living near the State Capital. Working in the big D.

stainless1911
12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
How many have a CPL? Carry? Openly?

I practice all 3 daily. And nightly.

357 Voodoo
12-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm smack dab in the teh thumb

Jailer
12-18-2010, 11:06 PM
How many have a CPL? Carry? Openly?

I practice all 3 daily. And nightly.

CPL and carry when I can. I only open carry when working around the homestead.

stainless1911
12-18-2010, 11:43 PM
good man

Hardcast416taylor
12-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Stainless1911. That would be the old Vernor estate, now state land. The problem I hear about the pit is the people shooting full auto then scooting before the county mounties can show up. Sunday morning "Rambo`s" don`t help the honest respectful shooter`s image either. Yes the trash is a problem to say the least after people shoot up doors, appliances and about any other trash they drag in there and leave when they`re done. I haven`t shot there is many years and probably never will again, got my own range.Robert

dahermit
12-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Born in Ludington, lived near Scottville about 20 years, moved to Hillsdale for 3, Vandercook Lake for about 10, now live near Litchfield. Been casting since about 1965.

Heavy lead
12-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Do any of you good MI folks live in/around Cherry country? Specifically, a canning operation? Reason: need several cases of nbr 7 can size (15 oz), water packed. Prices around here are off the scale, anywhere from 2.50 on up per can. Insanity, even for the best tasting fruit to me. I typically eat a can in one sitting. ... felix

Yup, Traverse City area is well known, however we have some cherries here too, mostly grapes, apples, peaches, tons of blueberries, in fact there is a Welch's plan in Lawton, just south of Paw Paw, most tart cherries around here are frozen, that's how I usually buy them too. The big cherry farm we had only 4 miles from me had it's last season about 5 years ago, too bad, good old orchard too.
Will that work?If not I'll check around Felix. Fruit crop got hit hard here this year, late frost, but I'll do some digging around.

rintinglen
12-19-2010, 03:52 AM
Formerly Dearborn Heights, now stuck in CA til I can retire and afford to go some place rational. Cast my first bullet in a neighbors garage in Dearborn, just about 41 years ago.
Sigh, tempus has sure fugitted.

BigboreShooter
12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Jailer,
North of Breckenridge!

BigBoreShooter

BBA
12-19-2010, 09:44 AM
From a retired Mi State Trooper, the pit is allowed to have class 3 shoots and there are a few clubs that shoot there. The DNR did a nice job of cleaning the place up and it really has been kept alot cleaner. The only thing I don't care for is the guy and his wife that picks up the trash. He likes to collect as much brass as he can. He walks out past the firing line or picks brass at people's feet as they're shooting. I've told him a few times to leave my brass alone. His wife just screams that it's her brass. We just take a few garbage bags with us when we go and fill them up.
The Port Huron Game Area has the Ditch to shoot at but it's not set-up as well as the Pit.

AJ Peacock
12-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Stainless1911,

About 5 miles from the pit. I shoot at the Lapeer Sportsmens club instead. Drop me a note sometime and we can meet over at Tim Hortons for a Coffee.

AJ

clintsfolly
12-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Just found this thread and have enjoyed the read. Clint here in Grand ledge just west of the capital. the idea came to mind as i read ( we should get to gather this spring for a cast &bull shoot! ) with this in mind i will see if my club will let us use the range. Chief Okemos Sportman Club Dimondale (25,50,100,200yds covered firing line) Clint

67bear
12-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm in Vestaburg, grew up in Riverdale and Alma.

geargnasher
12-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Nice thing about Michigan, all the casters in the state could have a big get-together somewhere in the middle and nobody would have to drive more than three hours!

In Texas, we drive three hours to buy groceries, and if I were to visit DLC up in the panhandle it would be about a ten hour drive due North, and any of our members in the RGV are about seven hours to the South! :razz:

Gear

felix
12-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah, HL, do check around for cherry "deals", and thanks. It seems they are non-existent anymore because of all the trees being taken up. I can remember in the 50's there were tons of trees in Door County WI, which is just across the big lake from Traverse City. It seems the Mormons have taken over the crop and moved them to UT big time over the years. OR and WA have taken their share too from WI especially. Anyway, that's the word on the produce street. Who really knows. ... felix

cmkiefer
12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Nice thing about Michigan, all the casters in the state could have a big get-together somewhere in the middle and nobody would have to drive more than three hours!

In Texas, we drive three hours to buy groceries, and if I were to visit DLC up in the panhandle it would be about a ten hour drive due North, and any of our members in the RGV are about seven hours to the South! :razz:

Gear

Are you kidding? 5.5 hours to The Bridge. Those mitten people always ferget about us Yoopers. :roll:

frkelly74
12-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Gear

The UP is kind of remote in places , especially over there by Minnesota. Personally I'd rather go there than about anywhere. The Porkies are magnificent.

firefly1957
12-19-2010, 11:18 PM
I started casting in Macomb county then moved Oakland then Lapeer and am now in Clare County I cast and swage. Sometimes I swage my cast is that like being bipolar?

Gods country (UP) is far from everywhere that is one of it's best features.

Dutch4122
01-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Just found this thread. Don't know how I missed it. I'm in Birch Run between Flint & Saginaw on the I-75 corridor. Grew up in Genesee County and still work on the north end of Flint. Moved to Saginaw County about 7 years ago after SWMBO got hired in to Dow Corning in Midland.

This site started me down the slippery slope to pouring my own boolits. Found it while doing internet searches for cast bullet suppliers. Decided to stay and learn how to make my own instead of paying somebody else for them. Thought I would save money (yeah right!) by doing it myself. Now I've got too many molds and never enough time! :D

Dogs_of_War
01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Howdy!

New Michigan member here.
About to cast some of my first boolits in a little.

Im in Livonia!:cool:

BABore
01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Born in Owosso, weaned in Byron & Bancroft, raised in Cornell (nort of Escanaba), schooled in Big Rapids, paid of school loans in Kent City/Casnovia, currently reside between Coopersville & Nunica, Ottawa county.

Gearnasher, If you started out from the SE corner of Detroit, and drove to Copper Harbor in the Keewanaw Pennisula, it would take you about 13-14 hours at posted speeds.

ktw
01-11-2011, 12:51 PM
If you started out from the SE corner of Detroit, and drove to Copper Harbor in the Keewanaw Pennisula, it would take you about 13-14 hours at posted speeds.

From Bessemer, MI, the Gogebic County seat, it is a shorter drive to Winnipeg, Manitoba than to Detroit.

Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Des Moines, and Fargo, ND are all closer than Lansing.

-ktw

dfreeman
01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Milan - 15 miles south of Ann Arbor

32ideal
01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I live in Buckley MI about 20 Minutes south of the former Cherry Capitol of the World "Traverse City, MI"

felix I checked the local store and they do not even have canned Cherry's, but I thought I'd provide you this link http://www.benjamintwiggs.com/ as it may prove interesting to you. Will check the shelves in TC when I go in again for water packed and ask at the local canning factory about cases. When I was in grade school I picked cherries for about $ .75 a lug (large wooden box), then while I was in JR High during the late 1950's I worked in the can loft at a local canning factory summers, by the way I can not cannot stand canned or fresh sour cherries (ate way to many when picking them) :!: but do really enjoy dried dark sweet cherries, IMHO the best dried fruit in the world.

32ideal

BABore
01-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Most of the grower/packers around me put the cherries up in 30 lb plastic lugs. Pitted and sugared for the most part. Just about everything is the sour, pie cherry type like Montmorency. Black sweet and Queen Anne cherries are mostly sold as fresh. We have some friends about 5 miles from home that have a sweet cherry orchard. Up by Traverse City area, some sour cherries are put up dried. There's some place that grinds beef with the dried cherries. Forgot what they call it. Plavatian or something.

harvester
01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I am in McMillan about 85 miles NW of Macinac bridge.

Jailer
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Are you kidding? 5.5 hours to The Bridge. Those mitten people always ferget about us Yoopers. :roll:

Ahh but if you were a true yooper you'd have descibed that distance in beers it takes to get there. :kidding: :bigsmyl2:

Leadmelter
01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Dutch
I frequent Birch Run a few times a year. They used t have some good gunshows in the convention center next to the outlets. Are they still going strong? What happened to the rumor Cabella's was going to open a second store in that area?

Traverse City is my fall destination. Beautiful colors, lovely drive. Love the chocolate covered cherries for Cherry Nation.
We have a wonderful state if it just had some jobs for people and our children.
Cast On!

Gerry

XWrench3
01-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Are you kidding? 5.5 hours to The Bridge. Those mitten people always ferget about us Yoopers.

i am sure that many do, but i do not forget about you yoopers. i bring the family up every year for vacation. i really like it most of the time, with the exception of those overgrown monstrosities you call mosquito's. most of them up there are as big as a hummingbird, and have the attitude of a pit bull that hasn't eaten in a week! LOL!:kidding: seriously though, if winter wasn't so severe up there, i would probably live up there. at least you guys can breathe up there, without somebody else watching you. i am down in the Newaygo area, about 40 miles north of Grand Rapids.

Tazman1602
01-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I ain't quite a Yooper, live about 25 miles south of the bridge which makes me a troll (I live UNDER the bridge....)

If you think the 'skeeters are bad you don't know about black flies we get in the spring. If you look at them under a microscope you see two things:

1. Teeth
2. A rectum

That's ALL.................<grin>

.................... with the exception of those overgrown monstrosities you call mosquito's. most of them up there are as big as a hummingbird, and have the attitude of a pit bull that hasn't eaten in a week!...............

Archer
01-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Harrison-Clare co. Tazman, your right about the black flies. Been up there when the were out.
Bad little boogers.
Getting ready to cast a bunch as soon as I warm my shop up tomorrow.

Muckman
01-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Both parents born and raised in Ironwood (western most tip of the UP). While I was born in Lansing, there is 'YOOPER' in my DNA. High school was in Grand Rapids and the past 40+ years have been in Livonia. Only started casting a little over a year ago thanks to the wealth of information I've gleaned from this site. A heartfelt Thank You to all the members who share their experience for those of us just starting out.
Pete

harvester
01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
ya cant be a yooper unless you were born there, I have been here 26 years and still get reminded of that fact by locals......

alamogunr
01-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I've enjoyed reading thru this thread. I spent a few years in Lansing right after college. Transferred back to TN in '68 but went back for a few months assignment in Ypsilanti in '73.

This doesn't make me a Michigander but I have enjoyed reading all the familiar names. My wife and I went back to Lansing about 3 years ago. It is sad the way some things have changed for the worse.

John
W.TN

Dutch4122
01-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Dutch
I frequent Birch Run a few times a year. They used t have some good gunshows in the convention center next to the outlets. Are they still going strong? What happened to the rumor Cabella's was going to open a second store in that area?
Gerry

The Birch Run Gun Shows are still going strong every few months. As a matter of fact they just had one this last weekend. I hardly attend them any more as the "deals" are all but gone now. Prices went through the roof over the last couple of years as I'm sure they have everywhere else. Also, too much Flea Market **** that has nothing to do with the shooting/hunting sports. I do attend occasionally to see if I can bump into a patron with a gun to sell that is willing to barter a fair price for both of us. There are still a couple of tables at every show with decent powder/brass selection and prices; but I can usually do just as well at Williams Gunsite in Davison. Most of the bigger dealers have taken the show over and drove up prices; but you can still occasionally find a fair deal.

Trapaddict
01-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Fairly new to the site. Born in Detroit, live in Howell/Brighton area now and have for almost the past 18 years. Member of the Howell Gun Club.

Jeff

Leadmelter
01-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Matt
I am going to make it a mission to make it to Williams this year. I talk to them at Outdoorama a few years back and they seem like good guys.
I know what you mean about gunshow: attended hundreds back in the day but now everybody wants top dollar or is an "expert". I only go to one or two a year, unsually not worth the time or admission but fun to look.
I will pm if I make it up for one.
Gerry

BBA
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Matt
I am going to make it a mission to make it to Williams this year. I talk to them at Outdoorama a few years back and they seem like good guys.
I know what you mean about gunshow: attended hundreds back in the day but now everybody wants top dollar or is an "expert". I only go to one or two a year, unsually not worth the time or admission but fun to look.
I will pm if I make it up for one.
Gerry

If you go to Williams, talk to Gary or Steve(manager). They are great guys and a wealth of knowledge. Guns Galore has some good prices and some odd personalities. Saturdays are really busy.
Birchrun gun show sure isn't what it has been but I still go for oddball parts sometimes or to waste time if we're in the area.

357maximum
01-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Wow there are some of us real close to each other. I have met a few of you but the ones that are real real close I have not.............how'd that happen?

I am over by the big town of Middleton and have been meaning to post in this thread for awhile now but I always seem to get distracted elsewhere before I get to it...........finally made it ...whew[smilie=l:

So which one of you Michiganders has a looong range or access to a looong range and wants to host "The Michigan CastBoolit and B.S Shoot"? :bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Mark stevenson puts on a shoot every year in grayling. Its not a cast bullet shoot per say but mostly just a bunch of good guys that get together and do some informal plinking for the weekend. Any money raised goes to muscular distrophy. Theres camping on site and he puts on a good meal on saturday. If your interested his email is bustersdad480@yahoo.com

jeremy_p
01-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Moved to Adrian area 6 years ago, want to move up to West Branch or farther north where my father grew up, but engineering jobs are a little short up there.

Jeremy

PWS
01-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Born in Flint, raised in Swartz Creek, split for the Great Land in '97.

So. Michigan is a great place to grow up though! Sure miss those big ol' fox squirrels.

About the time I got my driver's license, I'd get up well before dark on some summer weekday and run down to the DNR range east of Lansing off of Peacock road. Take two 5gallon buckets and pick the backstops for all the slugs I could get before anyone showed up to shoot. Hauled a lot of lead out of there...

Dunno if that place is even open now?

Leadmelter
01-28-2011, 07:57 PM
357 Max
Detroit Sportsman Congress has a 200 yard range, A. P. Goodrich by Alma has a long range but sure of the length.
For a really looooong range, I am thinking Camp Grayling.
Good to see so many Michiganders on this site. I thought everybody left.

Gerry

Jailer
01-28-2011, 08:15 PM
A P Goodrich long range is 500 meters.

The short range is 100 yards.

357maximum
01-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Is the Goodrich range the same range that used to be called Kellogg range?

anyone a member?

Jailer
01-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Is the Goodrich range the same range that used to be called Kellogg range?

anyone a member?

Yes and yes.

357maximum
01-29-2011, 04:07 PM
The last time I shot there I was a teen and it was still The Kellogg Range.

Is it possible to rent/lease a weekend for a private shoot?

Can you shoot at steel or other fun targets? Simply punching paper bores me to death once a load is tweaked.

Jailer
01-29-2011, 06:41 PM
They have NRA steel targets on the long range at 75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400 and 500 meters. I'm not all that old yet and that ram at 500 meters is hard for me to see.

I'm pretty sure they do rentals. I'll have to check with the range president and see.

Dutch4122
01-29-2011, 08:56 PM
They have NRA steel targets on the long range at 75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400 and 500 meters. I'm not all that old yet and that ram at 500 meters is hard for me to see.
I'm pretty sure they do rentals. I'll have to check with the range president and see.

:popcorn:

357maximum
01-29-2011, 09:01 PM

YES PLEASE :bigsmyl2:

Jailer
01-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Sorry guys, just got in from the garage. Spent the last 6 1/2 hours sorting wheel weights. Last post was when I came in for dinner. I'll get ahold of him tomorrow.

dfrak
01-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Another Livonia, MI caster here. Just started a couple months ago and it is very satisfying.
This site was a source of both tips and inspiration.

And I recognize at least one Michigan Gun Owners forums (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php) particpant in this thread.

Dan

longrifle
02-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Kingsley, MI here just south of Traverse City
I cast for pistol, marlins and flints just thougt I'd chime in and say hi

Skipper488
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
There are a lot of things I miss about Michigan, mostly family. Unfortunately it's too hard to make a living there and even if you could the politics are insane. My first wife had a child while we were married and when I got taken to court for child support (Idaho was after $125/month) The judge in Michigan ordered me to pay $350/month. I was making $9/hour at the time. So I left the courthouse, went home and packed a bag and jumped on my motorcycle and headed to Washington. State not the nut house. Chasing jobs and raising kids 22 years later and I'm in TN where my dad's family is from.

LuvMy1911
02-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Michigan was/is a great place to grow up. (Mid western LP) Rabbits, squirrels, even pheasants when I was growing up. And of course the white tail deer!

I'm over near Ludington, MI. GLAD to be back after too many years in Illinois working for a living (no place to hunt, fish, or shoot over there).

Been doing a little more hunting, shooting, fishing since my return to MI. I really missed the shooting part!