PDA

View Full Version : cast 308 in dpms?

legend
10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
i was wondering if i can use cast 150-190 in a dpms 308;or,will the tube get too dirty and leaded to be of use/ any one tried it? thanks! leigh

Buckshot
10-20-2006, 11:17 AM
..................Legend, hate to sound ignorant, but what's a dpms?

..............Buckshot

fourarmed
10-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, you know what pms is. right?

straightshooter1
10-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Buckshot

It's an AR10 type 308 semi auto-like the AR15 only bigger.

Bob

kywoodwrkr
10-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Legend,
This is not intended as a flippant remark, but you should try it and see.
It seems some gas operating rifles work very well with cast and some don't.
For instance some folks with M1 carbines shot cast bullets all day long with no problems.
Another person with same mfg of carbine gets his piston and etc all fouled up.
No real rhyme nor reason that I have read.
The gas port is towards the rear of the M1 carbine barrel, in the front on the garand. Some of both shoot cast with no problems, others of both varieties get all fouled up.
You might see what hardness of bullet and type of lube seems to be the working combination.
Bottom answer to your question is that indeed some cast bullets may be used with the gas operated systems.
www.jouster.com (http://www.jouster.com) is a good website for carbine and garand folks.
Visit there and ask about cast, but just be prepared for a very wide range of opinions.
FWIW.
DaveP

NickSS
10-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't have a 308 DPMS but I do have a 223 one and also a 22 RF conversion kit. I have fired thousands of 22 RF through the rifle with no problems with the gas tube fouling out when I shoot 223s everything works fine. I expect that the 308 will work the same. If you are worried shoot a box of jacketed ammo through it every couple hundred rounds.

garandsrus
10-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Buckshot,

DPMS is a company that builds rifles on the AR-15 platform. They offer several products in .22, .223, and .308. Their web site is http://www.dpmsinc.com/

John

fourarmed
10-25-2006, 12:04 PM
A cousin of mine has one in .308, and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever fired.

rockrat
10-25-2006, 12:36 PM
I just picked up one of the Eagle Arms by Armalite versions. Plan on trying cast in it. I know with my Ceiner unit, it says to shoot a few .223 rounds through the gun after a couple of hundred 22's to help keep the gas system clear.

BruceB
10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Over many years of loading for gas-operated military rifles, I found that almost any of them will work with cast boolits.

HOWEVER: when I owned an original AR-10 (Artillerie Inrichtingen manufacture in the Netherlands, Sudanese contract) I avoided cast bullets because I was concerned about gas tube fouling. The gas tube in Armalite-style rifles is not easily accessible for cleaning, and I still think that its small diameter may foul much easier than the larger-volume cylinders on M1 Garands, FALs, etc., which have given me no trouble at all.

Before trying cast loads in that DPMS, I'd check to see just how difficult it will be to get at the tube for thorough cleaning. If the effort seems reasonable, I'd go ahead and try some cast boolit loads. Gas-affected parts in the bolt/receiver groups should clean up just as easily as with jacketed loads. In a cast-bullet test in my Bren light machinegun, two 30-round mags on full-auto plated the piston group with lead as much as EIGHT INCHES away from the gasport! It was a heck of a job getting that mess cleaned up.

legend
10-25-2006, 05:30 PM
thank all of you for your advise.im real spooky to try cast as it is very accurate with jacketed and dont want to goof it up.thank you leigh