PDA

View Full Version : New "One Shot" laser guided sniper system

Jim
12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
New "ONE SHOT" (http://www.spacewar.com/reports/DARPA_Awards_Contract_To_Produce_Laser_Enhanced_Sn iper_Systems_999.html) laser guided sniper system.

These technology advancements amaze me. But then, I remember party line phones, AM radio and B&W TV.

pdawg_shooter
12-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Jim, I am from the same generation. Soon a fellow will pick his target from home, fire out the door, and go collect his meat!

nicholst55
12-17-2010, 09:18 AM
An interesting concept; be great if it works.

Oh, and I remember party lines, AM radio and B&W TV, too.

WILCO
12-17-2010, 09:48 AM
That's pretty neat stuff.

Jim
12-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Some of this stuff is so far over my head, I'd need a space suit to get to it.

82nd airborne
12-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Jim, it will be a long time before that stuff replaces a good bolt gun and a quality peice of glass. I have been out for 3 years now, but when I left, none of us would give up the M40 and a straight 10 power Leo. I have seen some AMAZING shots from some of my brothers. One sniper, Ronnie Wright, 5th sfg, shot the speaker off of a mosque tower at 1400M, first shot, with myself (SGT) a 1st LT and a SSG watching. The reason he shot it was they were calling Jihad over the pa system to rally insurgents. I watched him make several shots that were borderline amazing. He also won the OPEN division, yes thats scopes allowed, LR match with a K31 with irons.
Any ways, Imagine what a guy like that could do with some of this new fangled stuff?! It does intrest me, but nothing beats a gut feeling, natral skill, and training.

Rocky Raab
12-18-2010, 11:42 AM
No amount of gizzywhiz will ever overcome a jerk on the trigger. And yes, I mean that both ways.

fatnhappy
12-18-2010, 12:31 PM
the one shot is only part of a service wide attempt to increase the effectiveness of snipers in Afghanistan.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/12/snipers-will-soon-shoot-taliban-from-a-quarter-mile-away/