10-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I was in a local Walmart and they had their frier's on for half price:coffee:
Go get'em while you can!

LET-CA
10-31-2006, 01:45 PM
So, how much was the final price?

zuke
10-31-2006, 09:02 PM
I bought mine at $25.00, haven't been back to Walmart since.

libbyman
10-31-2006, 09:39 PM
DO NOT USE the pot, that comes with the frier, to melt lead in!!!!!
It, the alu. pot looks like it will be ok, but it is not thick enough.
Dont ask me how I know, because I wont tell you.

Ken in nw Mt.

carpetman
10-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Two high ranking men from the Catholic church opened up a fish and chips place. A customer came in and asked the guy cooking if he was the fish friar? He replied no,I'm the chip monk.

zuke
11-01-2006, 11:39 AM
:bigsmyl2:

wills
11-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Don’t forget, Thanksgiving is approaching and, You Can Actually Fry A Turkey with one of those things! They are good, and it is a lot faster than baking!

Boz330
11-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Clean the lead out first:mrgreen:

wills
11-01-2006, 06:36 PM
NONONONONONONO! The point is you don’t use the aluminum pot that comes with the fryer for smelting lead!

Four Fingers of Death
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
We don't have turkey fryers here, in fact deep frying is not so popular here (apart from take away fish, chips (fries) and snitzels. Do you guys fry the whole turkey in these things? Seems hard to imagine, big mothers. Mick

44woody
11-01-2006, 08:25 PM
yes Mick some people do fry a whole turkey in one of them I my self like to smoke my turkey for about 6 hr it comes out so tender and jucy it almost falls off the bone :castmine: 44Woody

No_1
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh yeah! We fry them here.... Take a raw turkey, wash it good with just water, season it to your taste: salt, pepper, (whatever you like) then I coat it with butter. Have the oil pot warmed to a constant temp of 350 F. then ease him in. Figure about 3 - 3 1/2 minutes per pound and he is done. You can also inject him using a large hypo needle setup. The beauty of this setup is you can cook a 10 lb turkey in about 30 minutes and a 15 lb turkey in about 45 minutes....

Robert

We don't have turkey fryers here, in fact deep frying is not so popular here (apart from take away fish, chips (fries) and snitzels. Do you guys fry the whole turkey in these things? Seems hard to imagine, big mothers. Mick

wills
11-01-2006, 09:32 PM
I used to smoke them, after last Christmas, SWMBO ordained there would be no more spending half the day baking or smoking a turkey when I could fry one in less than an hour.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/cstech/fryturkey.html

Topper
11-01-2006, 09:56 PM
I've tasted em all kind off ways, fried is by far the best I've had.
Use peanut oil and you can strain it when finished (after it cools) and store it in the freezer till next time.

454PB
11-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I've never used one of the turkey fryers, but watched a guy do it once. It was surprisingly similar to watching a drop of water hit a pot of molten lead. I guess he had the grease too hot, or the turkey too wet. He dropped her in, the oil started bubbling over and hit the propane burner, and the whole thing was a 10 foot ball of flames! I started running, I figured the propane bottle was gonna blow next.

Needless to say, I'm not too impressed with turkey fryers.

376Steyr
11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
for a good turkey fryer video, check out

http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/46950

if you don't want to download the 12 MB, it can be summarized as "turkey fryers will kill everything you love!"

FallRun
11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
yes Mick some people do fry a whole turkey in one of them I my self like to smoke my turkey for about 6 hr it comes out so tender and jucy it almost falls off the bone :castmine: 44Woody Now That Sounds GOOD!!!!!

44woody
11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Fallrun I have had turkey alot of ways but I would take my smoked turkey anyday as for using the aul pot for melting lead in DON'T and if you ask me I will tell you why not to this is something that I wish and pray that no one goes threw I was lucky but others have ended up with sevire burns and a long stays in the hospital :castmine: 44Woody

threett1
11-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Ok. Am I the only one here that doesn't know what a snitzel is? Or the only one willing to ask?:mrgreen:

LET-CA
11-02-2006, 12:05 PM
We do one every year for Thanksgiving as part of a large family gathering with three turkeys - deep-fried, baked, and smoked. You're right about the need to have the bird dry. It's absolutely essential to get all the water off the bird before SLOWLY lowering it into the oil. It's not as easy to get a good tasting bird as you'd think too. The deep fried bird usually has the most leftovers. It's hard to beat the flavor of a well smoked bird or the tenderness of my wife's stuffed, baked bird.

Okay, now I'm getting hungry!

I've never used one of the turkey fryers, but watched a guy do it once. It was surprisingly similar to watching a drop of water hit a pot of molten lead. I guess he had the grease too hot, or the turkey too wet. He dropped her in, the oil started bubbling over and hit the propane burner, and the whole thing was a 10 foot ball of flames! I started running, I figured the propane bottle was gonna blow next.

Needless to say, I'm not too impressed with turkey fryers.

No_1
11-02-2006, 12:24 PM
I do about 6 a year. I use Penut oil and I use the liquid "squeeze" butter to liberally coat the inside/outside of the bird before "slowly" easing him into the hot oil. I find this seals the skin and helps to keep the "volcano" action to a minimum. I must say the secret is to very, very slowly ease him in. I usually use a welding glove on my lowering hand and as he goes in I watch the oil never letting it run over the rim. If it gets close to the rim I lift it a little and then ease back in again. My spills are minimum.

Robert

It's absolutely essential to get all the water off the bird before SLOWLY lowering it into the oil.

carpetman
11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
LET- CA "A large family gathering with three turkeys" Yea I got a couple in my family I refer to as turkeys as well. Some on here have sheep they consider family.

LET-CA
11-02-2006, 08:55 PM
:) - Nice catch!

LET- CA "A large family gathering with three turkeys" Yea I got a couple in my family I refer to as turkeys as well. Some on here have sheep they consider family.

waksupi
11-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Ok. Am I the only one here that doesn't know what a snitzel is? Or the only one willing to ask?:mrgreen:

A snitzel, is simply a left hand interrupted thread erzatz schnabbel. Generally found on lower grade Balkan revolvers, with the optional wood forearm. Not to be confused with a snivel, which is what a Texan does, when he looses his sheep.

ron brooks
11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Waksupi,

Nope, there ain't no Texas sheepherders left. We ran'em all out and I heard tell that they had mostly settled in Montana. :)

Ron

waksupi
11-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Waksupi,

Nope, there ain't no Texas sheepherders left. We ran'em all out and I heard tell that they had mostly settled in Montana. :)

Ron

Ron, tain't true. I know of at least one around San Angelo, who is hoarding sheep!

ron brooks
11-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Waksupi,

Okay, you got me there, but I'm not sure if it's livestock or family or what he has. I do know it doesn't approve of his behavior. Everytime she sees him she says Baaaaad, baaaaad. :)

Ron

dagamore
11-03-2006, 10:14 AM
since i am currently in germany, i guess it is up to me to reply.

"Snitzle" or correctly spelled Schnitzel is a thin breaded deep fried (or backed) pork dish. Normaly served with a gravey of some sort.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_19365,00.html is a good one,

and here are some more.

http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?searchType=Recipe&searchString=schnitzel&site=food&gosearch=Search

ron brooks
11-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Dagamore,

I always thought it was some sort of desert pastry, like a cinammon roll or a popover.

Ron

dagamore
11-05-2006, 05:19 AM
Ron you might be right, and i might be wrong, but none of my german cook books have anything close to Snitzle but Schnitzel JaggerSchnitzel rocks, and i did not find anything on googlel. Hell we could both be wrong (wont that suck) :P