PDA

View Full Version : trail and error test day

corey012778
12-17-2010, 07:10 AM
spent 4 hours total today, working on my pouring method and lead temps.

first 2 hours was before work. work at 3 temps. 800 (8 on the pot), 750 (7), 700 (5.5 to 6). using all 4 of the molds I have right now. all lee molds. 405-459, .490 single, .530 double, 451-255.

lets say, how I run my lee pro IV (bottom pour does not work right now), full blast at the start then turning it down to between 8 to 9 seems to work better right now.

no keepers in the round balls, my .530 rb likes to almost smoke to drop good balls. no keepers in the 405-459, about 10 in the .451. only casted close to 200total

over 4lbs of rejects and scrape.

tonight I tested some pouring methods.

same molds minus the .530 rb.
running the pot like I have always did. only dropping 50 to 100 boolits.
pretty much, placement of my ladle to the hole. pretty much off center just a little vs right on top of the hole and how I hold the ladle. sounds a little stupid, but how you hold things in your hand gives you different angles.

I found if I am slightly off center, I can control my mold fill a lot better. with the mold handle just above my knuckle of my index finger, gave me total over all control. little change from this, with my 2 cavities, I was originally starting my pours opposite side of the handles, ladle spout fully facing me. changed just because of how I changed holding the ladle. went to pouring from the right side of the mold with the spout in an 45degree angle from me.

result. 31 keepers. no round balls still.

10 459 weight 408gr. normally drop 4 out of 10 at 406gr, had an total 11 keepers, dropped one at 406gr (did not keep)
21 452 weight 260, normally drop 3 out of 10 avg at 258gr, had 40 keepers but tonight dropped 2 at 258gr, 2 at 264gr and 5 at 262gr (did not keep)

was not casting today to build up my boolits, just to work on how I pretty much do things.

I was shocked to see how just the smallest change can effect how my boolits come out.

Bret4207
12-17-2010, 07:50 AM
It's an art, not a science.I think some folks are more "artsy" than others and can feel the differences between alloys, temps and moulds more. What drives you nuts is when you do think you have it down to a science and you get a new mould that just won't work no matter what. The fix is to start doing the things that shouldn't work and usually some combination fixes the issue.

adrians
12-17-2010, 07:55 AM
i plugged my bottem dripper and now ladle ,
it just works better for me .
i don't know the physics of it all but if it aint broke i aint fixin it .:twisted::bigsmyl2::evil:

1Shirt
12-17-2010, 08:33 AM
At least to a point Bret has it right. I would consider it an art based upon experiance. l also consider each mold as well as my bottom drippers to be female and must be treated accordingly. Lastly, just as women have bad hair days, casters will also have bad casting days. Just gotta accept reality.
1Shirt!:violin:

HORNET
12-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm kinda surprised, ladling is usually pretty forgiving on technique. What ladle are you using? The Lee ladle is less than ideal for some methods, works OK for a couple of others. Pressure casting usually works very well but can be a pain.
When you figure out what DOES work best, it's probably a good idea to write it down...I keep mentioning this, but never seem to remember to actually do it.

corey012778
12-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm kinda surprised, ladling is usually pretty forgiving on technique. What ladle are you using? The Lee ladle is less than ideal for some methods, works OK for a couple of others. Pressure casting usually works very well but can be a pain.
When you figure out what DOES work best, it's probably a good idea to write it down...I keep mentioning this, but never seem to remember to actually do it.

I use an rbcs ladle. my lee is for skimming when I cast.

I need to remember to write things down too

mooman76
12-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Try an experiment and use the Lee ladle.

corey012778
12-17-2010, 09:35 PM
I have used the lee ladle when I started. seem to get better boolits from the rbcs. may try the round balls with the lee ladle.

I have casted enough to keep me shooting for a couple months lol

mooman76
12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
I guess I've been using the Lee ladle so long I got used to it. Few people seem to like it. I filed on mine and bent it some so it would pout and dip better. You also have to leave a good size puddle on top the sprue for better fill out.

mdi
12-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Well, for my casting, I've concluded that each mold is an individual (seems some have personalities![smilie=b:) and most behave differently. I cannot cast with more than one mold at a time if they are different construction; aluminum vs steel. My steel molds (mebbe iron) need lower temp. melt and a different style of pouring than my aluminum molds. If I were having the same difficulties as you are, I'd use one mold at a time and figger out it's needs (alloy temp., bottom pour, Lee ladle, RCBS ladle, alloy, ambient temp., mold temp, etc), record yer findings and move on to the next...