PDA

View Full Version : Major Score.

Crash_Corrigan
12-17-2010, 04:38 AM
I went into my local gunny's shop the other day to pu a copy of his fll so I could email it to a fella I am buying a gun from after I scan it into the computer etc. By the way this is a lot faster than mailing it.

Anyway I am in the shop and I glance down through the glass (canny dude this Gunny) and I see a big N frame Smith. No wear all. Grips brand new. I ask to see it and of course the gun has a story. A local bait shop and gun dealer on the East side of town finally got tired of the local gang bangers and gave up the business. This was his remaining stock of guns. He had about 8 of them for sale this day. All of them new. Unfired. Original boxes and all paperwork.

In response to other posters to this posting.....the other gun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" tube, unfluted cylinder and all the other bells and whistles. Including a factory box, instructions etc and it also was unfired and never sold. Nice gun but I have no use for a .44 Magnum. .44 Special yes, Magnum no. If I have to do any heavy lifting my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt with suitable handloads will do pretty much anything a .44 Mag can do.

This Smith was a Model 57 with a 4" tube, red insert front sight, micrometer rear sight, neat groovie things on the top end to reduce glare, wide target hammer spur and trigger, pinned barrel and to top it off recessed chambers. It also has the original neato little metal handled screwdriver, bore brush, bore mop and cleaning rod in a sealed plastic bag. Original paperwork and instructions and parts and price list etc. The gun looked old. It was old. The best I can figure without calling Smith is that this gun was made in the 60's sometime.

I looked at, fondled it and left it there. I took the FFL and did the necessary and promptly forgot about it. Then I went to sleep at the normal time and I woke up dreaming about the gun at 0330 hrs. I could not go back to sleep. At 1000 hrs I was camped at the front door of the gun shop with my checkbook.

It followed me home. A clean patch with some quality oil promptly put the shine back onto the surface of this fine gun.

Then I called Dillon, Midway and Starline for the necessary Dies, press parts, case feeder parts, holsters, belts, cases and sundry stuff to make a new caliber work for me. So far the fixin's for this new member of the house armory has cost me over $600 and this is just the beginning.

I am not disclosing the price I paid for this gun as I do not want to embarass anybody especially me. Suffice to say that the number was only 3 digits.

I am still trying to figure out why I bought this gun. It was a Smith & Wesson. It was OLD (Like me), it had recessed chambers, it had a pinned barrel, it was just gorgeous. This is probably captivated me. I loved my Smith Model 10 which I carried for 20 as a cop in NYC. This was my old beloved 38 on STEROIDS!

It had all the bells and whistles that my old Model 10 did not. However it still felt the same, balanced the same, sounded the same and had that lovely smoooooth and silky double action trigger. It became a lot better when I got it home and lubed it up some.

Of course it is now had my friends house where is is about to delve into the guts of this and smooth out the action a mite more with a quality trigger job.

He is kinda funny this way....he will only work on Smith & Wesson revolver. No Colts nor Ruger. He sneers at Taurus' and Rossi and will not touch any other brand of revolver than a Smith. Maybe I am giving him too much credit cuz he only know how to work on Smiths. Hey, I am not complaining since I do not have that talent.

Some years ago a Browning Hi Power also ambushed me at the same location.

But I have been pretty good for the past few years.....only two new guns a year. Previously owned and used and fired guns don't count. I love not being married anymore. My dog does not care a fig how many guns I buy as long as I feed him and love him up enuf.

Life is good.

S.R.Custom
12-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Cool. But regardless of how much you paid for it, if it's less than a K, it's cheaper than a similarly finished new gun. Good score indeed.

smoked turkey
12-17-2010, 11:46 AM
An old Smith in that condition. Of course you had to buy it!! Good score. Since Smith has started making some of the oldies again in the custom shop, I figure the real ones like yours will be a premium above the new remakes. I wish I had purchased a model 27 when it was available to me years ago.

Dennis Eugene
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Wow!!! You got a new in the box M 57 for under $10.00 Lucky Dog

ReloaderFred
12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I carried a 6" Model 57 as my duty gun for about 18 of my 26 years "on the job". I never, ever felt undergunned. I carried mine in a Hoyt frontbreak high ride holster that I still have.

The old Model 57's aren't made anymore, and Hoyt has closed it's doors. Too bad on both counts.

Hope this helps.

Fred

home in oz
12-17-2010, 01:57 PM
got photos?

Baldy
12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
One of the best ever made. Sure wish I had one. Good luck with yours..:)

MT Gianni
12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Nice find Crash, please don't tell us what the other guns were unless you want a rush to Vegas.

DanWalker
12-17-2010, 04:47 PM
AWESOME score!
Now how about some pics?????

Rick Hodges
12-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Sounds like your gunsmith is a wise man.......Smith's are THE DA revolver, couldn't give me a Colt or Ruger............Couldn't give me any other autoloader than a Colt!

Go Figure!

missionary5155
12-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Greetings
Still have mine I bought years ago.. something about the 41 mag just grabs aholt -a- me.
And the 57 is just one of the best.

onceabull
12-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Have CLOSE acq.spending New Years holidays there,,how do we find this place..send your shopping list here..!!!! Can do consolidated shipping to FFL here for minimal fee.help us out here,Crash.... Onceabull :rolleyes:

jwp475
12-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Crash Corrigan, a great find. I am sure that you will love that revolver, I know I do mine

MJR007
12-17-2010, 06:12 PM
The good ones find you. Very nice.

arjacobson
12-17-2010, 06:28 PM
the good ones find you. Very nice.

yep!!

Dan Cash
12-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Crash, you are a fortunate fellow. I have a similar 57 in nickel. I bought a LBT 2 cavity mould tailored to the dimentions of my revolver. It drops at about 250 grains and shoots very well over a good charge of 2400 (don't recall off hand how much) and for pleasure and less hefty chores, the same bullet on top of 5.5 to 6 grain of Unique. I find the gun softer shooting than my Model 29s, flatter shooting and it will out penetrate 240 to 265 grain .44s in the same media. What a fine gun you have.