PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for hard lube

locutus
05-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Does anyone have a tested recipe for a HARD lube? Something that would be similar to Rooster Labs "Zambini Red?"

TIA

Lloyd Smale
05-22-2005, 07:05 AM
you could use any lube recipe and just add paraphin wax to harden it up to the hardness you want. I suggest felix lube but its a little involved to make and if you want a hard lube anyway they work so poorly that it wouldnt matter what recipe you used.

Willbird
05-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Also, I'm not sure why you want a hard lube, but if it is so the bullets will withstand handling and packaging a lube with the consistanct of LBT blue should work fine, it is about like Play-Doh.

once in the grooves it is somewhat protected and a lube doesnt have to be as hard as kelseys nuts to stay put.

so you could make felix and harden it a bit, but not as hard as zambini red and have ot work fine.

just my .02

Oldfeller
05-22-2005, 10:14 AM
A rational reason to want a stiffer lube is when you have exposed lube grooves on assembled rounds you intend to carry loose in your pocket.

I added 20% paffarin by volume to Felix MOAS melt to achieve this level of stiffness, using Veral's Blue Commercial as a comparison lube to meet.

Works fine, stays clean.

Oldfeller

44man
05-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Locutus, A friend sent me a box of boolits with that red stuff on them. Most fell out of the boolits and was in the box. I had to clean the rest out of the grooves. This would be a sure way to throw boolits out of balance with chunks of lube missing. I would not go real hard!