PDA

View Full Version : makeing 577-450 brass for my martini

jbunny
12-16-2010, 08:49 PM
i just picked up a 577-450 martini and the barrel is pretty good. up here
this brass is made of unobtainium. after tossing and turning all night,
i woke up with a plan. took the barrel of the action and made a chamber cast
with zinc. i then made a mould and useing 458 win mag brass which is .147 in
to long. the pic is self explanetory. i have to get more brass and some refineing.
cheers
Louis
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/577-450brass.jpg

Buckshot
12-17-2010, 12:04 AM
...............How are you centering the brass case in the chamber? Can't you get the brass Mag-Tech shotshells in Canada? Graf & Son carries them and the 24 ga is what you want : http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/415

Naturally they're out of stock right now:-) Several years back on the British & Militaria board, a guy had a friend turn some 577-450 cases (sans neck) out of nylon. They were bored through to take a trimmed 45-90 case with a rebate in the bottom for the rim. Once fired the brass in the caseneck area expanded to size. With the rim on the base and the brass in the caseneck area expanded, the 2 were virtually locked together.

................Buckshot

camerl2009
12-17-2010, 12:05 AM
cool what martini do you have

johnly
12-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Saw several boxes of Kynoch 450-577 ammo at a small gun show last weekend. One never knows what they can find when they are not looking for it.

The Double D
12-17-2010, 03:58 PM
You must not be hanging out in the right places. Brass can be found even in Canada for the Martini. Get yourself some 24 gauge brass shotgun cases and make your own.

Fixes like yours are extreme and best saved for when the balloon goes up.

Something to keep in mind with this is the Martini is not a .458 it is a .468 or larger. The neck is going to expand and possible split on first firing.

I would play with one or two of firt before you buy a binch of brass.

You also may have problems with clambering these things again after casting and even after firing. Simply paint them with magic marker ink and try in the chamber. Where the ink get rubbed off, file the zinc off and retry.

Be sure and report back to us how these things work.

enfield
12-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Jbunny, I just checked with "raynershine" in saskatchewan and he has 24 gage brass on backorder , its $29 per 25 cases. I squeeze it down to 577-450 in about 5 steps ( starting with a snider die ) and annealing between each step. ( I can't see how anyone can do it in one step ?? ). I'm not sure when he expects it in though. Ward.